• March 28, 2024, 05:51:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Running camera off a mobile hotspot  (Read 3986 times)

BAMoh

• Level 3 Member
Running camera off a mobile hotspot
« on: June 18, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »

Has anyone had experience running a cam off a mobile hotspot device?
Specifically, I am thiniing of TMobile and using a 942L (or maybe a 5030L). Anyting I should consider? I only need photos of motion emailed to me and do not plan on any other bandwith intensice needs. Thanks in advance.
"That's laughable...."  Impress me. Need COMPETENT help.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Running camera off a mobile hotspot
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »

Were you going to use a mobile router or just a smartphone?

I tested a 942L with my Galaxy S9+ (Android 8.0.0) - T-Mobile. Created a hotspot and it works but video is slow. Went to mydlink.com and there was about a 10 second delay. Live video was a bit choppy.

Cameras can use a bunch of bandwidth so watch the data use on your T-Mobile plan. With the "unlimited data plan" you only get 2GB of hotspot data. I know they have hotspot plans you can pay extra for.

To limit bandwidth, do not register the camera with mydlink unless you want/need to use the mydlink lite app and/or mydlink.com portal. You will not get push notifications but email notifications will work. Watching live video or viewing from the SD card will use the most bandwidth of course.

Unfortunately I have not tested emailing a snapshot yet, but motion detection did send my push and email notifications pretty quick.

BAMoh

• Level 3 Member
Re: Running camera off a mobile hotspot
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 06:39:55 AM »

Thanks much for sharing your experience. I have an old T-Mobile ZTE WIFI portable hotspot device and plan to use that. I do want the email of photos. Can't recall the number of GB but T-Mobile said they offer a $30 minimum package for that purpose only. However, its not presented on their website per them. Will attept to set this up soon and report back.
"That's laughable...."  Impress me. Need COMPETENT help.