• March 28, 2024, 10:23:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DDNS Issues. Also, a note on overheating.  (Read 7811 times)

Harrkev

• Level 1 Member
DDNS Issues. Also, a note on overheating.
« on: June 02, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »

This post is divided into two sections: the past problems, and my current problem.

The Past Problems.
When I first got this router and hooked it up to my cable modem, I was quite happy.  Setting up PPTP was easy and worked quite well.  Then, the problems started.  The VPN seemed to lock up after a while, and more often when under a heavy load.

I tried to use ShrewSoft and GreenBow IPSEC software, but never could get it to work.  I even followed GreenBow's DIR-130 guide, and did everything exactly the same.  The IPSEC tunnel was opened, but I still could not pass traffic through.  Note that the GreenBow guide was written for 1.20, and I was using 1.12, but it still should have worked.

The next thing that I tried was going to firmware to 1.20.

With firmware 1.20, I had the same lock-up problem using PPTP.  I also tried the SSH solution and could not get it to work.  Apparently, the client software downloaded from the D-Link web site (initiated by the router itself) got me a newer version of the client software from what the router was expecting.  I could never get SSH to actually pass any traffic.

So, I eventually found out that the problem with PPTP dying was caused by OVERHEATING!  I had the router near a brick wall with a wireless access point on top, and sitting next to a cable modem.  I moved stuff away and set the DIR-130 to a vertical position, and everything was happy again!!!

The current problem: switch to DSL and DDNS issues.
I recently switched to DSL in order to save money.  However, every time I reconnect to the modem, my IP address changes.  Well, this is what DDNS is for, right?  Wrong -- not with the DIR-130.

I have my modem set to bridging mode, and the DIR-130 set to use PPPoE.  Everything works, except that the DDNS client does NOT want to connect (it would always say "disconnected").  This morning, I did a full reset of the router to factory defaults, and re-entered the configuration data.  When I entered the DDNS data, it actually said "connecting" and updated the DDNS IP addres -- Happy day!

Well, this afternoon I was using the PPTP VPN, and after a while I could not pass traffic!  I could log in to the router through SSH.  I could log in to the router through PPTP.  Yet, I could not actually even ping www.google.com.  However, from the SSH configuration screen, I could have the router ping www.google.com just fine.  Since I was NOT at home, clearly my DSL connection was OK since I could reach the router.  Maybe something got messed up.  So, I reset the router through the web interface.  Now the router is working (my wife who is at home could connect to the internet).  Yes, the DDNS entry has not been updated, so I cannot reach the router remotely.

Please, D-Link.  I have preferred your products for years, since you were the first ones that I ever encountered that had DHCP reservations.  I have been a D-Link fan ever since my DSM-G600 (which I still use), and this is my 4th D-Link product in the last few years.  I have never had issues like this before with one of your products.  The PPTP VPN is great, and no other VPN router that I know of supports this.  Yet, it feels like the firmware is only half-baked.  Plus the 1.20 beta firmware has been beta for OVER A YEAR!!!  Has this product been abandoned, never to receive another real update again?  I really do not want to be forced to jump ship and go to Netgear for a VPN router.  Please don't make me.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:33:21 PM by Harrkev »

Harrkev

• Level 1 Member
Re: DDNS Issues. Also, a note on overheating.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »

Update.  I just set the DDNS feature to update every hour.  I hope this works.

Question to D-Link -- would dropping back to 1.12 fix this issue?  I would not mind if I had to.

Harrkev

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 11:38:25 AM »

Setting the DDNS timeout for 1 hour did nothing.  Grrr.

Does anybody from D-Link still read this or even care?

teknocat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »

i too had the ddns / ppoe  refresh issue with the dir-330 (same firmware) Since you are using pptp, you could use dd-wrt firmware....Not really harder to config than any other router, but requires a little reading before installing..A bit more stable than dlinks firmware. Since I had to have ipsec functionality, I just yesterday resorted to purchasing a competitor's ipsec router.

Harrkev

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:20:13 AM »

AFAIK, DD-WRT is NOT an option on the DIR-130.  This is NOT a wireless router (wired only).  DD-WRT (and Open-WRT) are both for wireless routers.

Also the DIR-130 features an encryption/decryption engine.  If the software does not support that processor, then the main processor is stuck doing all of the crypto stuff, and will probably run very slow.

I must admit that I am surprised at D-Link.  A reputation is a fragile thing.  It takes a while to build up, but can be destroyed very quickly.

teknocat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »

Oops. You are correct. The Dir-130 is not listed as a supported router.

As for your comment: I have a DI-604 (non vpn) a DI-804HV (vpn), and a DWL- (2100AP? access point). All have been rock solid. An adapter went bad on the 2100 AP. If i have a power failure, I need to reboot the router again to restore ddns. But other than that little quirk, ..absolutely solid. But these Dir-*30's....frequent problems with lockups and ddns drops, yet no firmware updates in years....they are not doing themselves any favors by these products....