• March 28, 2024, 01:32:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Suggestions for Firmware version 1.05  (Read 53709 times)

gugaucb

• Level 2 Member
Re: Suggestions for Firmware version 1.05
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »

Incluide a Multicast server.

ccage90

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2008, 04:02:30 PM »

Support for specifying SMTP port, authentication, and SSL settings for Email Alerts, please.

mcduarte2000

• Level 2 Member
    • Miguel Duarte
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2008, 02:40:48 AM »

My wishes are by order of preference.

1. I wish I could easily connect USB drives to the DNS-323 unit. This is particularly important for making backups of the files on the unit, and to backup many gigabytes of files takes hours (or even days). This could also be useful, of course, to share another drive on the network. Even better, would be to also allow to connect the drive directly, with USB to a computer.

2. I wish it would exist a web access to the FTP server. The company where I work has a firewall and without web access I can't access my files.

3. I wish there would be a way not only to schedule the download of files, through an FTP server, but also, to schedule the upload of files through FTP. This is useful again for making automatic backups, maybe even to remote servers on the net.

4. Possibility to edit the itunes server playlists right from the admin panel (it's a text file, I'm sure it's easy to allow this). Right now itunes server only gives us a huge list of musics. Other option, would be, of course, for the box by default to provide us with more playlists (ex: 90's, 80's, top rated, recently added, recently played, top 25, genre, rating, artist).

5. I wish there was a way to use the http server (goahead web server) that comes with the DNS-323 to host our own simple websites (asking PHP and MySql is probably too much, but of course, they would be welcome).

6. Automatic mirror bakckup with other D-Link products (ex: another DNS-323 or the DNS-313).

7. Encryption. I have no idea how this could be done or if it can be done. But I believe it would be interesting to have some automatic encryption on every file saved.  If someone turned off the drive, the password would have to be entered again. This is useful in case somebody steals our DNS-323.

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »

further to the iTunes thing, add a feature to create a play list on the iTunes server & UPnP mp3 portion as well

Thunder

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2008, 04:05:38 AM »

I second the FTP logging.  At minimum I would like to know who is connected to the ftp server.

netmation

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2008, 08:45:22 PM »

FXP Transfers

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2008, 03:17:02 PM »

Better Vista UAC support

Cannot run .exe from Vista Home Premium with UAC activated!!!

Better Print Server

A print server that works and with more control than just "empty queue"

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2008, 05:12:47 PM »

Better Vista UAC support

Cannot run .exe from Vista Home Premium with UAC activated!!!

You're asking D-Link to fix Vista, shouldn't you be asking Microsoft?

User Access Control is a part of Microsoft's new & improved security - it's designed to prevent things from running unless you specifically permit them to, so what you need to do is contact Microsoft to find out how to set UAC to permit the .exe to run.

Paraphrasing from that Mac commercial -

Windows is trying to run an application from a remote device - cancel or allow?

You have to find a way to ensure the response is "allow".
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2008, 01:21:04 PM »

Hi fordem what smart asnwer!!!

DLink and others do not need to sell treir products to people using Vista. You are right!!!

Man I'm not protecting MS but what I'm asking is a product with a good version o Samba installed and that give me the right to use my client machine.

I need to print 1.4 broke the Samba printer server.

And if they want to sell more DNS-323 they need to work with Vista, sorry if this reality bugs you.

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2008, 01:34:52 PM »

Just to compllete : What DLink needs to do is to put a up to date can if possible more configurable version of Samba at FW 1.5. Remember Samba was created to give "Windows" file server capabilities to Linux machines because they want to serve the Windows client base.

I'm just asking for a good implementation of Samba this will solve this problem and the printer server problem also.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2008, 04:42:49 PM »

zehninguem

I'm dead serious - UAC preventing an .exe from running is not something that D-Link needs to fix.  If you can get the .exe to run by disabling UAC, then what needs to be done is the permissions on UAC set correctly, not expect D-Link to find a away to defeat UAC - it is a configuration problem which YOU need to take up with Microsoft.

Also for what it's worth - I'm running 1.04 and the print server works for me and  with exactly the same settings that it did with 1.03.

In all probability it is a permission setting again, caused by the upgrade to a newer version of SAMBA.

These are the quirks of linux in a Windows environment.  The reason that low cost NAS manufacturers use linux is to keep the cost low, Microsoft charges a license fee to use their OS - perhaps if you want/need seamless integration in a Windows environment, what you need is a "powered by Windows" NAS, runing Microsoft Storage Server, but be warned, expect to pay more.

Like it or not, your choices essentially are to pay for the compatibility or to live with the quirks and incompatibilities of open source.

By the way - does D-Link advertise the DNS-323 as being compatibile with Vista?

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2008, 07:58:17 PM »

Forbem

I agree with you but in part. Unfortunately I need to use windows since my simulation software just runs on this platform.

The point that I do not agree is to provide a new firmware with breaks the print server, since lots of people are having the same issue.

I tried 5 different printers (2 mine 3 from friends) and used XP and Vista (without UAC) without lucky.

I reverted back to 1.3 and had all printers working from XP and Vista.

Just asking DLink to give us a better debuged firmware.

Cheers

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2008, 04:29:59 AM »

Modify the emailed disk space report so that it shows the change in space since the last report, this way you can see not only who much space is used/available but how rapidly it is changing, without having to keep notes.

mcduarte2000

• Level 2 Member
    • Miguel Duarte
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »

One additional wish:

- Using an application like rsync http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/ to synchronize documents between network drives (and even, internet sites);

Lost in Windows

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2008, 12:45:47 PM »

Email alert request:
Create a log file or show on the screen the reason that the test email message is failing (assuming of course that it does)  :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6