• April 19, 2024, 02:19:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Erase/Wipe disk drives for re-use  (Read 3571 times)

mikeism

Erase/Wipe disk drives for re-use
« on: February 03, 2008, 09:08:49 AM »

Can anybody recommend a drive erasing/cleaning utility, that when used, could erase/clean a hard drive so that it could be re-inserted into the DND-323 device and have the drive appear as a new unformatted/unpartitioned hard drive? 

I had an issue with a failure on the right hand drive in a mirrored RAID 1 configuration.  I think this was a one-time fluke because both drives were new with very little data on them and the unit re-mirrored itself and I've had no problems since.  However, at the time it happen, I would rather have removed both drives, erased/cleaned them, and started over because it would have taken much less time than having the DND-323 automatically re-mirror the drives.  Two 500GB drives took over 1.5 hour to RAID 1 re-mirror.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:14:50 AM by mikeism »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Erase/Wipe disk drives for re-use
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:23:09 AM »

You can drop these drives in any PC to delete their partitions, or are you talking about a DoD style wipe?

Windows Vista/XP/2000: Right click on My Computer and choose Manage.  Choose storage and then Disk Management from the left hand side.  Choose your drive and delete the partitions.
Windows the earlier: Click on the Start Menu, Choose Run, type cmd and hit enter.  Type fdisk, enjoi.
Macintosh:  Finder->Utilities->Drive Management
Linux: cfdisk is my preferred method, if you want a GUI go with Gparted
non progredi est regredi

mikeism

Re: Erase/Wipe disk drives for re-use
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 10:10:08 AM »

That's pretty easy :-)  Thanks!

Mike