• March 29, 2024, 12:16:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 A4 still continues to slow down after a while.  (Read 13140 times)

Stounedi

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 A4 still continues to slow down after a while.
« on: November 03, 2013, 02:04:45 AM »

I'm still having problems with my DIR-655.

After rebooting the router it works smooth for anything from 15 minutes to a day. After that, it starts to slow down until the network is pretty much unusable.

For example, today I did a ping test.
Right after the reboot I got 5-6ms ping response from web pages.
A couple hours later the connection was slowing down and I tried pinging different pages, with 800-900ms results.

I have tried pretty much everything suggested in these forums.
- Hardware version is A4
- Firmware upgrade 1.31EU (if I remember correctly the old FW version) -> 1.37EU
- Disable Traffic shaping (This also disables QoS)
- Disable WISH
- Someone suggested to disable "Advanced DNS" under Manual Internet but I dont see such option.
- I tried disabling DNS relay but then I'd have to set DNS manually to every device in the network...

If anyone has been able to solve this slow-down issue I'd be very happy to hear about it. Right now my device is slowing down every day and needs a reboot. I've always had this issue but recently it has gotten so bad I'm looking for other WLAN routers... I havent done any changes to my network settings and I dont have any new devices so I'm clueless why it's gotten so much worse just now.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-655 A4 still continues to slow down after a while.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 09:59:16 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Stounedi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:45:32 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
Wired, Wireless. No matter, same problem.
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?[/li Bazillion times.]
    • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
    Before FW update, FW update seemed to reset all settings anyway.
    • Was the router working before any firmware updates?
    I had same problems.
Internet Service Provider and Modem ConfigurationsLocal service provider (MPY) and I have tried 3 different modems: Zyxel, Telewell and Zhone
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
ADSL
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?Zyxel P-660H, Telwell EA510 and Zhone 1512
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
ADSL2+ 24/1, total speed are ~20/~0,9
  • If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.I've used all modems in bridged mode (preferred mode by ISP)
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.Configged with Chrome, seemed to work fine, tested with IE, all seemed the same.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual
DONE
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Is on
  • Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name BenchIs on, as explained tried to turn off but then I'd have to enter DNS manually to each device I use (at least when I tried nothing worked when "DNS Relay" was off, ofc connecting directly to IP addresses did - as that doesnt need DNS)
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.Been there, done that
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.Check
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.Check
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed Auto, need to test?
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time. Check
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.Three times, all CAT-6

Stounedi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »

I googled around and this might be related to using torrents and/or heavy traffic.

I've closed my torrent clients and speeds have been fine since I posted the first message.

I'll keep monitoring the situation and will update later.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-655 A4 still continues to slow down after a while. (RESOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:30:38 AM »

Torrent FAQ

Torrents and the clients used are connection and bandwidth hogs. I recommend you reign in on whats being downloaded, manage and limit the connections for torrents.

Good Luck.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Stounedi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 08:09:48 AM »

Ok, seems like the problem is solved. I followed the link and applied the Torrent settings. I havent seen any slow downs for a week.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-655 A4 still continues to slow down after a while. (RESOLVED)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 08:30:07 AM »

Glad it s workin better. Enjoy.
 ;)

Stounedi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »

The problem is back. And now I havent even started my torrent program for 2 weeks.

My DIR-655 start to lag so much it's pretty much useless. The lag begins about 15-30min after any reboot.

I'm beginning to suspect that this is because of the Multicast... Because I've started using a STB box while ago. All my TV is coming through a STB. Anyone know if Multicast might make the DIR-655 useless?

It's really bad now, like said, it works fine for max 30min after each reset... And no torrent or other heavy traffic software being used. Just got my PC and STB plugged in... And on PC just browse web...

Stounedi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »

Uff... Its even worse now. I am NOT using any torrent programs and no multicast (iptv) and ... It's not lagging, it's CUTTING THE WHOLE INTERNET OFF?

I mean wtf... This router is now so unreliable I think I just go and buy a different brand...

It just prevents any internet connections 2x a day, ... Need to reboot it at LEAST twice a day or no internet. Pffft...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:23:06 PM by Stounedi »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 04:49:42 PM »

Id chk with your isp and modem. Something isnt right...does the router work if you tirn off the wifi radio? If it still happens then, there is am issue upstream
Possibly with a configuration too...

Stounedi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 06:22:36 AM »

Id chk with your isp and modem. Something isnt right...does the router work if you tirn off the wifi radio? If it still happens then, there is am issue upstream
Possibly with a configuration too...
My modem has 4 LAN ports. I tried to connect my other pc to the modem LAN and it works flawlessly.

I pinged a local website for 6 ms continously with direct modem connection.

I tried my other pc through the DIR-655 and got 1500-1800ms pings... Then I also tried to connect the PC that gave 6ms with direct modem connection through DIR-655 and it also lagged down to 1500-1800ms. Also connecting to the router's config lags very much. This problem has not been around always. For a long times (many months) the router worked fine.

I think, but am not sure, that it slows down because of the multicast iptv transmissions. Right after I started to use iptv as my main tv source the slow downs started again... Strange thing is that I've changed ISP between the slowdowns but before on my old ISP I did sometimes use iptv, no daily. Back then the slowdowns happened rarely. Now I use iptv daily, and the slowdowns are almost every day also...

I might try to connect all my iptv devices directly to the modem, thus bypassing DIR-655 router. But that takes some time because I have to punch through holes and wire ~20 meters of CAT-6 to reach the modem...

EDIT:
DIR-655 is reset to factory settings, only setting I changed is "enable multicast passthrough" because without that option my tv doesnt work (as I explained I use iptv).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:24:40 AM by Stounedi »