• April 23, 2024, 12:08:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Windows Visa and Windows 7 File Sharing Issues  (Read 3326 times)

cwkmisc

• Level 1 Member
Windows Visa and Windows 7 File Sharing Issues
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:05:48 AM »

I'm running into some weird issues.  I'm on firmware 1.07 and using two Western Digital 1TB drives (WD10EADS-00L5B1).  100 GB is RAID1 (Volume 1) and the rest is JBOD (Volume 2).  I'm storing my music and videos on Volume 2.  I get occasional (random?) breaks in network connection.  Here are some symptoms:

1) While playing an mp3, the mp3 will just stop playing.  I've tried different media players and different files and it always happens
2)  If I try to copy a large file (2gb) via explorer or commandline, the copy will stop midway through.
3)  Whenever I play a movie, it'll just stop playing

I've tried it with mapped drive via hostname (\\dns323), via ip address (\\192.168.1.200) and I can't seem to figure it out.  I also tried with different machines accessing the dns323 and the same thing, so the problem probably lies in the nas.

Can anybody help?  Anyone else experience this?

The funny thing is I think it was working before but somehow it started again.  I'm not sure if this is a result of me tinkering or not...

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Windows Visa and Windows 7 File Sharing Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:30:28 AM »

How is your Win7 machine connected to the network? I run Win7 with the NAS very often and have never seen such disconnects. I can only think that its network related so you may want to test a direct connection to the nas to see if the issue persists.

cwkmisc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:36:31 PM »

The Vista machine is connected via wired to a linksys wrt310n router.  The windows 7 machine is connected via wireless.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 06:26:06 AM »

I have a DNS-321 and a DNS-323.  Both are used regularly by three Win7 machines with no issues at all.  I've never seen any problems with networking the NAS with Win7.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 02:26:11 PM »

You are seeing this issue on both machines or is it the Wireless Win7 machine only? Have you tried another Ethernet cable?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream