• March 28, 2024, 04:15:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Local/Remote cameras  (Read 5102 times)

RJSinMO

• Level 1 Member
Local/Remote cameras
« on: May 31, 2018, 06:43:03 AM »

On MyDlink Lite and MyDlink +, there is a tab for local and remote cameras.  I don't see that in MyDlink.  How do I switch between local and remote cameras?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Local/Remote cameras
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 06:49:31 AM »

Local and remote are for mobile devices. Local is for when your at home with your mobile device and on the same network, and remote is for when your away, like at work.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

RJSinMO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:50:49 AM »

I understand that, but I don't see local/remote option in regular MyDlink app though.  But, from watching the bandwidth monitor on my router, it seems like it figures it out automatically (as does the MyDlink browser version from the computer) as I don't see much internet activity from the camera. 

However, this is something curious, while watching live feed from MyDlink app on my Android, while in the house, I don't see upload activity from the camera to the web (as expected), but I do see UPLOAD activity from my phone when I'm watching live feed.  That doesn't make sense.  And, it only happens on this app, not MyDlink Lite

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:10:55 AM »

The mydlink app does not have local or remote. All cameras will appear.

You wont see much "internet activity" from cameras that you are viewing if connected to the same Wi-Fi network. The app knows if it is local. No reason to go out to the Internet and back in to view a camera on the same network. The cameras do connect to the mydlink servers so that will be the traffic you see.

Not sure about the upload activity from your phone when viewing live stream. Your device could be communicating with the mydlink servers during live video viewing.

Turn off Wi-Fi and use 3g/4g and see if the camera activity increases.

RJSinMO

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »

I did, that's how I was testing :)  I know this sounds trivial, but I'm moving to the country (which is why I am setting up the camera) and my internet has limited data, so I'm trying to come watch it and understand.  This is why I went with D-Link as it records local on the cameras and/or the DVR (which I've also purchased) instead of immediately to the cloud like most other popular ones do!

You answered that the app automatically connects locally if it can, which is what I guessed after observing bandwidth use.  Thanks.

So, the only minor mystery is why the app on my phone (connected to the same wifi) does internet UPLOAD activity while watching a local camera live.  Doesn't really make sense.