• April 18, 2024, 07:51:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NTP causing restarts again?  (Read 4424 times)

shaith

• Level 2 Member
NTP causing restarts again?
« on: October 19, 2010, 08:59:07 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that with automatic time config enabled that their router is occasionally rebooting when the time syncs (confirmed by router uptimes and such)?

jjames55

• Level 1 Member
Re: NTP causing restarts again?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:24:51 AM »

Ohh yeah :-(

Spent countless hours yesterday debugging my suddenly intermittent wifi connection. Turns out the NTP setting suddenly got the DIR655 to reboot exactly every 1 minute 15 seconds... Pulled the WAN link, removed the NTP option, and now it just works again - a very bad NTP client implementation in my eyes.

Never got it to work with pool.ntp.org servers BTW., so the default dlink server was in my settings, they must have messed with it or something??

Disclaimer: My 655 (rev: A3 FW: 1.33NA) has always worked perfectly for me, a nice kit with good performace...

regards,
James

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 03:28:48 PM »

Hi All,

The answer is no!

Yes, when the Router is restarted it always updates the Date and Time.

The question remains what is causing the Router to Reboot or Restart itself.

When the Router is Rebooted, the previous log entries are lost. Anyone have any ideas?
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

shaith

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »

Disabled NTP and haven't seen a reboot since...   ???

kthaddock

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:25:20 PM »

Disabled NTP and haven't seen a reboot since...   ???

Or you can test this NTP servers.   ??.pool.ntp.org
http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/europe
ASUS RT-N16  FW: DD-WRT v24 17140-vpn M NEWD-2 K2.6 -kong.
DIR-655 H/W: A3 FW: 1.31EUB02 This FW is working !
Never argue with a burk. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Di-624+ FW: 2.10

marmoduke

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 06:00:51 AM »

I've seen these NTP failure posts from time to time.  I have never had any problem at all with NTP...with any and all firmware revisions.  If you are experiencing NTP related problems, look for very simple solutions.
Change your NTP server.
Make sure you are not blocking yourself with a "website rule."  Website blocking is done by keywords, not by URL's.  You may have a word that is used in your NTP address on your block list.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 08:52:40 AM »

Hi All,

I simply use ntp1.dlink.com for time and fill out the other information and have not had any problems with the Router and its time.

Note: Every time the Router is rebooted, it loses the correct Time and will always seek out Time update. It doesn't mean the Time causes the Router to reboot. Look at Cell Phones, Cordless Phones on the same Frequency, which causes the router to reboot.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10