• March 28, 2024, 08:36:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WISH sessions only indicate "SS" state  (Read 9771 times)

buhyabum

• Level 1 Member
WISH sessions only indicate "SS" state
« on: August 09, 2009, 03:32:06 AM »

After setting a static LAN IP for my iPhone and determining the WAN IP address for a server used by one of the apps on my iPhone, I tried to set up a WISH rule to prioritize any communications between my iPhone and the app's server when my iPhone is connected to my wifi network. I set the WISH rule up to apply to communications between any ports on both the iPhone and the app's server.

When checking the status of the WISH Sessions while my iPhone is using the app, it shows that they have been prioritized as VO (High). However, all communications appear to be in an "SS" state. Reading the support page, SS indicates "SYN Sent -- One of the systems is attempting to start a connection." That same page also indicates that a state I have yet to see, "EST," means "Established -- the connection is passing data." Does the fact that the WISH sessions I've tried to set up always read "SS" mean that it's not working? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
Re: WISH sessions only indicate "SS" state
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 04:07:24 AM »

PLease post all the setting details. If you misconfigured ranges, ports or protocol it will not work...

buhyabum

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 03:23:41 PM »

Apologies. The WISH settings are as follows:

Name: BBS1
Priority: Voice High (VO HI)
Protocol: 256 << Any
Host 1 IP Range: 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.101
Host 1 Port Range: 0 to 65535
Host 2 IP Range: 211.174.54.234 to 211.174.54.234
Host 2 Port Range: 0 to 65535

I set the protocol to "any" because I don't know what kind of protocol is used for the communication between the app on my iPhone and the server.

The Host 1 IP address is the one reserved on my local network for my iPhone.
The Host 2 IP address is the server accessed by my iPhone's app.

I also set another Rule up that is identical to the one above with the exception that I replaced the iPhone's LAN IP address in the Host 1 IP Range fields with my WAN IP address (the one assigned by my ISP). Obviously I'm not a network administrator by profession.

Please let me know if there is any other information that I should provide. Thank you for your help.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »

Try setting it to 'both' (257).

And I don't think your 2nd rule makes any sense. Wish only works inside the LAN towards the internet gateway device (that also hands out a 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x. address and relaying the WAN IP data)

buhyabum

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:52:41 PM »

I tried setting it to "Both;" same result. Viewing the WISH status area, it appears that all communications involving the iPhone are TCP communications. I set it to TCP, but it still indicates SS. (I also removed the second rule after reading your explanation.)

I have since set up another rule with the same settings as those previously described, except for the Host 2 IP is that of speedtest.net, which provides an iPhone speed test app that I use to gauge performance. Regardless of whether I set the rule to TCP, UDP, Both, or Any, the SS appears and the speed is the same with the rule on as when it is turned off. In the WISH status area, it indicates VO(Hi) with the rule on and BE(Lo) with the rule off, but the speed is the same and the SS appears either way.

Demonized

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »

In the WISH status area, it indicates VO(Hi) with the rule on and BE(Lo) with the rule off, but the speed is the same and the SS appears either way.
WiSH will probably not be noticeable, like clear speed differences... It's just a prioritizing mechanism for wireless devices.

If you see the indication like you describe its working OK.

buhyabum

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »

Thanks.