• March 28, 2024, 07:13:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless Setup Problem, need HELP  (Read 12933 times)

tigerfit

• Level 1 Member
Wireless Setup Problem, need HELP
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »

I have searched the board for answers first, and saw people with the same problem....but no post as to how they resolved it.
I bought two DCS-930L cameras, and both are having the same problem.  I upgraded the firmware per one suggestion, but no difference.
I am going thru the setup wizard with ethernet cable attached.  I want to use them wirelessly so I clicked wireless setup, and entered my network info.  At that point I get an error message saying it failed to save settings.  I know the ID and password are correct.
I have tried exiting the setup wizard and accessing the camera thru the web interface.  All wireless settings are correct.  The camera works FINE on web browser, myDlink, and even my iPhone app as long as the ethernet cable is attached.
Other wireless devices have no trouble connecting to my router.  Is there some setting on the router that can be preventing the connection?  I've done some trial-and-error changes, like different ports and enabling/disabling UpNp on both camera and router.
The cameras are no use to me if I can't mount them where I need them.  Please help if you can!!!  I am not a network expert but fairly experienced, if someone can tell me what to try I can do it.

Oh and almost forgot to mention....I did call tech support, which was a joke.  Some foreign lady was reading off a script that told me to reset, unplug, reboot everything.  Then she gave me a case# and said upgrade the firmware.  That didn't help, and they are not going to help if I call back!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:42:11 PM by tigerfit »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Wireless Setup Problem, need HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:49:23 PM »

Did you try only connecting and configuring one camera, while the second camera is powered down and physically off the network?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

tigerfit

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 05:14:29 PM »

Yes, I was working with only one camera at a time.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:40:24 AM »

I'm not sure exactly what procedure you tried, so I'll describe what worked for my DCS camera:

• Hold a paperclip in the pinhole in the rear of the camera for >3 seconds while the camera is plugged in (This will set the camera to the factory defaults)
  • Attach the camera using an Ethernet cable
  • Walk through the wizard, but skip the wireless settings (perform the setup for a "wired" camera)
  • After the setup is complete, disconnect the Ethernet cable and wait ~2 minutes
  • Hold the button on the rear of the camera for >6 seconds (with your finger) AND within 1 minute press the WPS button on your router
  • After the router finds and adds the DCS-930L and saves the settings, power down and unplug the router
  • Power-up the router, wait a few minutes
  • Try accessing the DCS-930L

If this procedure works, you "should" be able to unplug the power from your DCS-930L and move the camera to the location you need to monitor. When you move the camera, there "may" be some lag before the camera is picked up by the network and mydlink (a few seconds upwards to 10 minutes).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 03:28:35 PM by JavaLawyer »

tigerfit

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »

My router doesn't have a WPS button, it's a Motorola gateway from AT&T.  I am able to find my network in the "Site Survey" box in the web configuration.  When I select it and save settings, the Link Status still shows No.  I've tried power cycling the camera after the save, that doesn't work either.  Something is preventing the router and camera from connecting, is there some setting I have missed?
All my other devices (wireless printer, smartphones) have no trouble connecting to the router, so I know my password is correct.
Thank you so much for trying to help!  I'm about ready to give up and send the cameras back.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »

How does the router establish a handshake for wireless devices?
For example, my D-Link router does not have a WPS button, but rather has a WPS option within the router web interface that initiates the handshake process.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 03:29:05 PM by JavaLawyer »

tigerfit

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »

The devices I have were able to detect the network (like the Site Survey) so all I had to do was enter the password.  Never had a device that required WPA so far.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »

Sounds like the ISP modem only has basic features in which are not supporting of the DCS devices. I recommend doing the following:
Bridge the ISP modem if possible, if not, DLink has a DSL modems, I think both with and with out a router.
I would recommend a Stand alone modem only.

Get your self into a DLink external stand alone router, If you don't do any gaming, I might go with a DIR-825 or DIR-655. If you don't have any devices that support 5Ghz wireless, then maybe go with the 657 or 655 router as they are only 2.4Ghz Wifi. I have experienced the 825 and 657. If you do any gaming, I would recommend the DGL-4500 if you can get your hands one one. Very good for gaming and also Very good for just general purpose and would work well with the DCS devices I presume. External routers have better features to provide you with what you need then ISP devices do.

You need a router that has better security options then the ISP modem has currently. Most current Dlink routers have the latest security features like WPA2 and WPS button options. I don't use the WPS as I don't have any devices that need it.  ::)

Keep us posted on what goes on.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

tigerfit

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »

I'm not sure if the modem can be bridged, I'll check that.  This one is at my business, a 24 hour gym, but I have a different modem at home I could swap.  Not a Dlink but a brand new Cisco, maybe it will work.
With the thousands of Motorola gateways out there, it seems odd that few people have run into this problem.  Thanks for the advice!  If I do get it working I'll post an update.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »

I'm looking through the DCS manual. The web interface provides the option to disable wireless security, which I would avoid since others can tap into your video stream. You may want to disable the security just to see if you can instantiate a wireless connection between the router and camera.

Also, as far as security options are concerned: WEP/WPA/WPA2 are available alternatives.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 03:41:15 PM by JavaLawyer »

tigerfit

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 02:10:53 PM »

I wanted to post a follow-up on how I finally resolved the problem.  I switched the router with another one I had a home, a new Cisco wireless DSL gateway that I bought at Walmart.  Went thru the setup with WPS, everything works fine.

Wasted a lot of time, but for others with this problem:  THE MOTOROLA 3347 GATEWAY FROM AT&T WILL NOT WORK WITH THE DCS-930L WIRELESS CAMERA.  Get a new router.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 02:29:44 PM »

I wanted to post a follow-up on how I finally resolved the problem.  I switched the router with another one I had a home, a new Cisco wireless DSL gateway that I bought at Walmart.  Went thru the setup with WPS, everything works fine.

Wasted a lot of time, but for others with this problem:  THE MOTOROLA 3347 GATEWAY FROM AT&T WILL NOT WORK WITH THE DCS-930L WIRELESS CAMERA.  Get a new router.

Thanks for sharing your solution.
Kinda what I suspected. . . Not sure what's up with the Motorola design lacking a WPS option.  :-\