• March 28, 2024, 03:37:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problem w/ DSM-520 Skipping through all MP3 files  (Read 12394 times)

mencken

Problem w/ DSM-520 Skipping through all MP3 files
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:24:10 PM »

Hello,

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me a nudge in the right direction. I have a DSM-520 that is currently refusing to play MP3s. When I first power the unit on and navigate to an MP3 and play it I hear a single popping noise from the speakers followed by complete silence. When I move to the next song, the DSM-520 just updates the track information in the on-screen display and immediately moves on to the next song (and keeps skipping to the next song immediately.)

If I back up to the playlist (or all the way up to the top menu, or anywhere in between), and subsequent songs I try to play immediately result in the scroll-through-the-songs behavior (no sound at all.)

I've tried alternating LAN/WLAN, tried firmwares 1.0.2|3|4|5, and have tried using the DLink mediaserver v 1.08|9 (on XP SP2), as well as Twonkymedia (4.4.2, 4.4.3beta1), and uShare (both on Ubuntu Gutsy.) I've also tried using component out instead of HDMI--- all to no avail.  I saw similar hehavior described by a user on a 4d party forum, but he resolved his issued simply by downgrading to fw v1.0.2 (which had no effect for me.)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. (I've sent an e-mail to D-Link tech-support requesting assistance, but haven't heard anything back yet.) I should also add that MP3 playback was working flawlessly for several months when I got the unit earlier this year. I lost track of when I first saw this problem, but it might have been around the time of upgrades to v1.04 and v1.05 firmware.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Problem w/ DSM-520 Skipping through all MP3 files
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 04:39:13 PM »

You stated that you tried Component but component is RGB only no audio. Did you also try hooking up Red/White RCA cables to the composite audio output when using component?

Are you going through a receiver or directly to your TV?

Have you tried toggling between Analog and Digital Audio output on the device?

mencken

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 04:52:40 PM »

Sorry for the ambiguity.    When I reverted to component video from HDMI, I used the RCA audio outputs.  I toggled the audio output settings between "Digital" and "Audio" when I was connected to HDMI and when I was connected to component-video/RCA-Audio.  I also tried RCA audio when connected to HDMI.

The DSM-520 is directly connected to a Samsung LNS-3251D television.  In order to test RCA audio output while using HDMI video, I had to connect RCA audio outputs to an external receiver (the Samsung television refuses to play audio received on RCA inputs when displaying HDMI.)

mencken

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:17:24 AM »

Additional details:  I'm getting the same behavior with .wav and .m4a files and the behavior is consistent even when I try to access them from USB-connected storage (a 2GB FAT32 formattted thumb drive.)

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:24:01 AM »

Just so I understand this,

You are able to play songs from the DSM-520. The track timer and song information DO show up and update as the song progresses. However no audio will come out of any port?

D-Link

mencken

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 12:16:21 PM »

Just so I understand this,

You are able to play songs from the DSM-520. The track timer and song information DO show up and update as the song progresses. However no audio will come out of any port?

D-Link

When I play the 1st song: Track timer and song info come up and update as song progresses, but no audio comes out.  (I hear a single "pop" from the speakers when the track starts; then nothing.)

When I play any subsequent songs:  Track timer and song info come up, and it immediately moves to the next song. Track timer and song info, are updated or the new song, but it immediately progresses to the next song and keeps doing so through every song in the current playlist.  (No audio at all-- not even the single "pop" of the speakers at the beginning of the song.)

regards,
  --mencken

mencken

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »

Hello again,

I sent an e-mail to D-Link technical support about this several days ago and have not received any response yet.  Please advise how I can start getting active support for this issue?  (The unit should still be under warranty; it's less than six months old.)

regards,
 --mencken davidsion

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 09:58:09 AM »

The DSM-520 is directly connected to a Samsung LNS-3251D television.  In order to test RCA audio output while using HDMI video, I had to connect RCA audio outputs to an external receiver (the Samsung television refuses to play audio received on RCA inputs when displaying HDMI.)

Does your television receive audio if you are using the RCA input for audio and video?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:59:50 AM by ECF »
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mencken

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 06:49:09 PM »

No, it does not.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 09:24:24 AM »

In the Setup please goto General< Audio/Video settings and verify that the Audio Output is set to Analog and the volume is turned up on the DSM-520 with the remote.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mencken

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 04:18:41 PM »

I did that already when I tested with the audio RCA outputs, the results were identical as when I was using the HDMI audio output.  What next?

mencken

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 04:43:22 PM »

BTW: I have still not received a response to the e-mail I sent D-Link tech support well over a week ago.  Are the moderators on this forum representatives of D-Link tech. support; or should I be following up with D-Link tech support directly as well?

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 06:30:07 PM »

BTW: I have still not received a response to the e-mail I sent D-Link tech support well over a week ago.  Are the moderators on this forum representatives of D-Link tech. support; or should I be following up with D-Link tech support directly as well?

I apologize for the delayed response to your email.

Do you happen to know what firmware your unit orginially shipped with when it was working? If you still have your original bulky box it would be located somewhere on the bottom/backside.

Also I understand you are asking for help regarding MP3 playback but can you tell me if Video is working at all for you? Can you play a video and hear audio or does it do the same effect as an mp3/m4a etc.

mencken

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 08:28:57 PM »

Bulky box is gone, but unit shipped with firmware v1.01.  Unit continued to work after subsequent upgrades to 1.02 and 1.03.  Not sure if it stopped working after upgrade to 1.04 or 1.05.  However, I have since downgraded to v1.02 and performance remains the same.  (I've also tried incremental upgrades all the way back up to 1.05 and nothing improved.)

Video playback works, but without audio (I get the same strange popping noise at the beginning of the file).  Also, strange behavior is for ALL audia formats I've tried, not just mp3s (mp4, wav, and wmv all acted the same.)

I can't help but notice that you didn't answer my question about whether the moderators on this forum are D-Link tech. support representatives or not.  Please advise?  (This unit has be non-functional for several weeks and I am anxious to get it working again.)

regards.
  --mencken

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 04:12:46 PM »

Bulky box is gone, but unit shipped with firmware v1.01.  Unit continued to work after subsequent upgrades to 1.02 and 1.03.  Not sure if it stopped working after upgrade to 1.04 or 1.05.  However, I have since downgraded to v1.02 and performance remains the same.  (I've also tried incremental upgrades all the way back up to 1.05 and nothing improved.)

Video playback works, but without audio (I get the same strange popping noise at the beginning of the file).  Also, strange behavior is for ALL audia formats I've tried, not just mp3s (mp4, wav, and wmv all acted the same.)

I can't help but notice that you didn't answer my question about whether the moderators on this forum are D-Link tech. support representatives or not.  Please advise?  (This unit has be non-functional for several weeks and I am anxious to get it working again.)

regards.
  --mencken

Representatives on this forum are D-Link Employees regardless of department. Please check your PM's for further instructions.
Pages: [1] 2