• March 28, 2024, 10:26:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!  (Read 166876 times)

AMPatrick

• Level 2 Member
Re: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2011, 01:55:28 AM »

@dividedhighw - Since I have my DNS-323 configured for Raid-1 and am running AFT drives should I downgrade back to v1.09 and have a disk failure I might not be able to recover.  V1.09 won't format a replacement AFT disk and auto-recover the Raid...  So I continue to run with V1.10b7  (Kinda defeats the purpose of using Raid-1 with AFT drives unless you stick with V1.10b7)

So far I have not have had any problems with V1.10b7 (other than the D-Link Yahoo Widget won't install but I suspect that may not be a V1.10b7 problem).  I did load the beta version of the BitTorrent and NFS addons.  The beta version of BitTorrent did correct some problems with the way the BitTorrent application works.

BTW: If you "click" on the link for "D-Link Multimedia" (the forum name used by the TECH ENGINEER supporting the DNS-32x series) and look at his last post, you will find out his name is Aaron and that he left the employ of D-Link on June 15th.  This probably explains why V1.10b7 has remained "frozen" for so long and why we are not seeing "official" firmware based on 1.10 beta series.  This is really too bad, looks like Aaron was also working on WebDav access for this device so it could be easily accessed from the internet.  That would have been a nice addon...

CIAO - AMP
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:00:14 PM by AMPatrick »

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »

I would really like to stick with 1.10b7 also, rather than downgrade.  Many thanks @AMPatrick! :)

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »

Finally did it!!  See my update here:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=39987.msg146207#msg146207

Still hoping to avoid a FW downgrade to v1.09 but looks like it's inevitable.  If I have a failure and need to reformat a new AFT drive, I'm assuming I can re-upgrade to v1.10b7 beforehand.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong for any reason!)

Of course, any info/advice very much appreciated.

DH  :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:29:22 AM by dividedhighw »

TJMB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2012, 09:26:38 AM »

Hi everyone, new forum member here. :)

I've had a DNS-323 running with two 750GB drives in RAID 1 configuration for a couple of years now. I recently had one of the drives fail and decided that as long as I was replacing a drive, I'd start a transition to 1.5TB drives.

So, I ordered two WD15EURS drives and was already in the process of rebuilding the array before finding all this info about advanced format drives.

The array rebuilt and seems to be working fine so far, though I haven't yet thoroughly tested it. At this point I'm running with one of my original WD7500AADS drives and one WD15EURS.

After reading through this forum about the AF drive issues and the long awaited official release of firmware v1.10, I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with...

• First and foremost, I've searched all over and can't find mention of any EURS drives in use with a DNS-323 anywhere. Does anyone know if I can expect problems with these drives?
  • My DNS-323 is running version 1.09 firmware. With this morning's official release of v1.10, should I upgrade?
  • If so, should I reformat the 1.5TB drive using the new firmware or will using an AF drive formatted under 1.09 be okay?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm glad to have found this forum!

Best,
Tom
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:34:38 PM by TJMB »

Biscotte

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »

Take a look at this

http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=6770

I, like many others, only use the latest beta to format ears drives

john48

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2012, 06:10:06 AM »

One of my WD 750GB RAID 1 drives has just failed and I thought to change to a WD10EALX Caviar BLue 1TB.
Until I read this forum. I went to the firmware download for 1.10 only to find a warning that this only works on USA devices my DNS323 was purchased in Europe and the latest firmware on the UK site is 1.08.
Does anyone know how I can go forward?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]