• May 10, 2024, 01:11:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't copy files over WLAN to NAS  (Read 7641 times)

skipm

• Level 1 Member
Can't copy files over WLAN to NAS
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »

Guys-

Something is seriously wrong with this thing. I picked this up over the weekend to replace my DIR-655 which has been working great for the past couple of years. I wanted the dual-band feature and the price was too good to pass up. However, I have yet to be able to copy a single file bigger than a few kb to my Buffalo LinkStation NAS that I've had just as long as I had the DIR-655. I can create the folder and the file copy will start but after a few seconds it times out and drops my connection to the CIFS share and then my network connection on the computer drops as well and I have to reboot. I've attempted this from 3 different computers on the 2.4GHz & 5GHz band, I've tried different speeds (N & G) and nothing works. I gave the NAS a static IP, I upgraded the router's firmware to 1.01 and I've downgraded the firmware as well. It works great over a wired 1 GB connection directly into the router and everything else about this router seems to be working fine (haven't tried the storage yet) but this is definitely a deal-breaker. I done nothing but troubleshoot this issue every nite after work. And during the day I work with Cisco Nexus & Catalyst devices but not so much on the wireless side and I've pretty much exhausted my troubleshooting ability so I'm looking for some help.

Anyone got any ideas?

-Skip

rvrichardson

• Level 1 Member
Re: Can't copy files over WLAN to NAS
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 04:15:08 AM »

Hi Skip.
I have a Go-Flex NAS and tried the copying a file to it just to test. It seemed to work OK and over 2.4MHz I maintained around 6.9MB/second on a 1.3 GB file.I then copied the same file back to the PC with no issues and the same 6.9 MB/second. Currently I am running on FW V1.00.

I did have an issue after changing from my old DIR-825 to the DIR-826L, where the NAS showed it was connected and active on my LAN, however could not locate the actual IP address (The DHCP list on the router did not show any IP address for the NAS?) and the Go-Flex internet share connection could not find it either. I eventually ran an APP on my IPhone called Scanny which searches the whole subnet and detects all the hosts on that subnet. After finding the IP address, I could then ping NAS IP address, but none of the PCs recognised the NAS. I then set DHCP reservation of the NAS on the router and set the same IP address as the address the NAS had on the DIR-825. I then rebooted the NAS and Router. After that all the PCs started communicating with the NAS correctly. Can't figure if this is a NAS or router problem.

One thing I did notice though is that after about 2 days, the router loses the web interface, It seems to work OK for a while after this happens, but I have noticed that if I stream Netflix while its in this state the Netflix stream slowly starts to deteriorate until it loses the server, the only recovery method is to reboot the router.

You are correct, this unit does have many issues and this is already the second unit as I returned the first. Working with DLink support is very frustrating and disappointing. Most of my calls with them have actually ended up just putting the phone down with no solution. I have tried V1.00 and V1.01 and there seems to be no difference. Unfortunately I am past the return period to return the router to Office Depot, now I am forced to deal with Dlink and that I am dreading.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:08:45 AM »

One thing I would do is install a external Gb network switch for wired connections. This will definitely help eliminate and sort of router processing from happening between wired PCs and NAS.

Wireless xfers should be good and as rvrichardson tested, Thats in the ball park of wireless speeds. Wireless speeds can me a bottle neck with any sort of file xfer. Distances between router and your wireless devices will effect this. Also the connection of the NAS can effect speeds and performances as well. Is it wired? 100? Gb? What it's internal speed performance capabilities?

The recommended usages of NAS and file xfers is always wired. Specially for larger or more constant copy operation needed to go too and from the NAS. Doing small files over wireless should be good however.

Its highly recommended to setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

skipm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »

rv-

Thanx to you it's working now. Your testing gave me an idea of something else to try and that was to take DNS out of the equation. So I went back and disconnected the NAS folders I had mapped to to my laptop as "\\nas\media" and remapped them using the static IP I had assigned my nas device during some earlier troubleshooting so the new drive mappings looked like this, "\\192.168.0.10\media" and that did the trick. Just to verify DNS was the culprit, I added another drive mapping as, "\\nas\backups" and that one failed as before so there is something amiss with the DNS on the WLAN segments. This may also explain why the router seems to lose connection to the web interface after a few days. Thanx again for testing connectivity on your network. It's really not a bad little router once you figure out it's quirks. You can buy it now on Amazon for $90 and that is the cheapest by a wide margin for a dual-band router. Hopefully these bugs will be taken care of in the next firmware update, or two.

Just to add a couple of additional data points to help out anyone else who reads this my ISP is Comcast and my NAS device is a Buffalo LinkStation Duo and I would second what has been said before about assigning a static IP to any device on your network that you are sharing network resources. And don't forget to that you can refer to it by the static IP instead of the DNS name when if you're having connection problems.

Thanx again guys,

-Skip

Hi Skip.
I have a Go-Flex NAS and tried the copying a file to it just to test. It seemed to work OK and over 2.4MHz I maintained around 6.9MB/second on a 1.3 GB file.I then copied the same file back to the PC with no issues and the same 6.9 MB/second. Currently I am running on FW V1.00.

I did have an issue after changing from my old DIR-825 to the DIR-826L, where the NAS showed it was connected and active on my LAN, however could not locate the actual IP address (The DHCP list on the router did not show any IP address for the NAS?) and the Go-Flex internet share connection could not find it either. I eventually ran an APP on my IPhone called Scanny which searches the whole subnet and detects all the hosts on that subnet. After finding the IP address, I could then ping NAS IP address, but none of the PCs recognised the NAS. I then set DHCP reservation of the NAS on the router and set the same IP address as the address the NAS had on the DIR-825. I then rebooted the NAS and Router. After that all the PCs started communicating with the NAS correctly. Can't figure if this is a NAS or router problem.

One thing I did notice though is that after about 2 days, the router loses the web interface, It seems to work OK for a while after this happens, but I have noticed that if I stream Netflix while its in this state the Netflix stream slowly starts to deteriorate until it loses the server, the only recovery method is to reboot the router.

You are correct, this unit does have many issues and this is already the second unit as I returned the first. Working with DLink support is very frustrating and disappointing. Most of my calls with them have actually ended up just putting the phone down with no solution. I have tried V1.00 and V1.01 and there seems to be no difference. Unfortunately I am past the return period to return the router to Office Depot, now I am forced to deal with Dlink and that I am dreading.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Can't copy files over WLAN to NAS (RESOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:18 AM »

Glad you found the fix. Enjoy.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.