• March 28, 2024, 06:04:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just to Clarify things alittle  (Read 16212 times)

Medic911

Just to Clarify things alittle
« on: December 01, 2008, 03:55:54 PM »

Sorry I feel this is like beating a dead horse, but I just want to clarify this for me.

I just recently purchased a DNS-323 from my local computer shop.  I am new to networking and computers in general.  The purpose for the DNS purchase was first to back up all the files on my laptop.  The second reason I was told that I could stream music and backed up movies through my Xbox 360 with out the computer on.  Well I guess we all know the second reason is not working right now.  My question is with the new firmware that is supposed to be released anytime now will my Xbox be able to stream the files.  I have read so much on this twonky vision and fun plug.  But I don't want to have to hack my DNS.  Will the new firm ware just let me plug and play.  Or will I have to get a tech guy to figure it out.   

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Just to Clarify things alittle
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »

Sorry I feel this is like beating a dead horse, but I just want to clarify this for me.

I just recently purchased a DNS-323 from my local computer shop.  I am new to networking and computers in general.  The purpose for the DNS purchase was first to back up all the files on my laptop.  The second reason I was told that I could stream music and backed up movies through my Xbox 360 with out the computer on.  Well I guess we all know the second reason is not working right now.  My question is with the new firmware that is supposed to be released anytime now will my Xbox be able to stream the files.  I have read so much on this twonky vision and fun plug.  But I don't want to have to hack my DNS.  Will the new firm ware just let me plug and play.  Or will I have to get a tech guy to figure it out.   

Yes. Once the firmware is released it will be as simple as adding your media to the network share device then setting your UPNP AV share folder to that media. Once you have indexed your media by clicking the refresh button you will go to the "My XBOX" portion on your Xbox360 and select either Music, Photos or Videos. On that screen you will see your Hard Drive some others(can't remember off the top of my head) and something labeled, "dlink-xxxxx:DNS-321:UPNP-AV" or somethign similar. Once you click on that you can access your data :). Hope that enlightens you.

Medic911

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 06:27:10 PM »

Thank you for the reply.  That helps me out.

pf

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »

Yes. Once the firmware is released it will be as simple as adding your media to the network share device then setting your UPNP AV share folder to that media. Once you have indexed your media by clicking the refresh button you will go to the "My XBOX" portion on your Xbox360 and select either Music, Photos or Videos. On that screen you will see your Hard Drive some others(can't remember off the top of my head) and something labeled, "dlink-xxxxx:DNS-321:UPNP-AV" or somethign similar. Once you click on that you can access your data :). Hope that enlightens you.

Hi,

I've tried a 1.06 rev firmware ( beta version??? FrodoII-firmware_1.06 ) and the same problem appears like it is on the 1.05 rev.
The XBOX 360 doesn't see at all the DNS-323.
I don't see any differences between the 1.05 and the 1.06 version for this XBOX 360 streaming issue.
As I suspect this version is a beta release may be the XBOX 360 support is not yet implemented?

Best regards
pf

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:00:10 PM by pf »

pf

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 05:08:34 PM »

Hi,

I've tried a 1.06 rev firmware ( beta version??? FrodoII-firmware_1.06 ) and the same problem appears like it is on the 1.05 rev.
The XBOX 360 doesn't see at all the DNS-323.
I don't see any differences between the 1.05 and the 1.06 version for this XBOX 360 streaming issue.
As I suspect this version is a beta release may be the XBOX 360 support is not yet implemented?

Best regards
pf

Hi again,

I've forgotten to add that this 1.06 firmware (beta?) solved one of my problems with the UPnP A/V function:
Streaming also from the DNS-323 with an H&B DN-8620 and a KISS TECNOLOGY DP600 High Definition media players I'd a serious limitation of 30 entries per directories.
This limitation desapeared with the 1.06 firmware ( FrodoII-firmware_1.06 ).
Is it really a beta?

Best regards
pf

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »

If you didn't get it from a D-Link Support web page - for example the US page, which did not have fw 1.06 at the time of this posting, it's more than likely a "leaked" beta version.

I say "more than likely" because D-Link releases the firmware for different countries at different times and on different websites, I've also never seen D-Link use names - like FrodoII - in their firmware.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:44:36 PM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

pf

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 12:42:16 AM »

If you didn't get it from a D-Link Support web page - for example the US page, which did not have fw 1.06 at the time of this posting, it's more than likely a "leaked" beta version.

I say "more than likely" because D-Link releases the firmware for different countries at different times and on different websites, I've also never seen D-Link use names - like FrodoII - in their firmware.

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, yes I was "suspecting" a non official firmware, I got it on an external web site to DLink, it's file name is the one I gave you, within the DNS-323 it's reported as the 1.06 firmware (Firmware Version: 1.06), this is why I was confused.

I'm going to use it untill you release the official one with the XBOX 360 support fully functionnal, however I HOPE you'll have solved the UPnP limitation to 30 entries per directories like this FrodoII does.
And please validate this point with something else than the DSM-520 because according your local support this issue doesn't exists because it works fine with the DSM-520 from DLINK.
I use for the moment an H&B DN8620 and a KISS TECHNOLOGY DP600 and on the two this limitation exists. On many other HD madia players too... (and not on the DSM-520 from DLink).
I suspect a bug into the implementation of the UPnP protocol on the DNS-323. Problem already reported to DLink.

In conclusion I really have a need that the DNS-323 been seen on the network by the XBOX 360 and no bugs or limitation to 30 entries with media players than the DLINK one as I see it with the official 1.05 firmware.

Best regards
pf

pf

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 01:34:34 AM »

Hi,

This firmware was available on the D-Link China web site some time ago, and the green/grey front page is exactly the same one as the 1.05 or earlier rev, branded D-Link and pointing to the D-Link sites.
The top right mention is:Firmware Version: 1.06 so there is no possibility to see if it is a "leaked" version or not.
I hope the D-Link China site dont play the game to post a "leaked" version...

Best regards
pf

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 07:34:24 AM »

There seems to be a bit of 'naiveity' here - did you seriously expect a "leaked" version to have some text identifying it as such?

A leaked version of the firmware could be one that someone either acquired legally and that individual failed to comply with non disclosure agreements and made available to others - or it could be one that someone acquired illegally, by breaking into some one else's poorly secured system.

Leaked does not mean it is not genuine, it means it was not officially released for public use - which in turn means it may have bugs or lack the features of the official release - a greater danger (to my mind) of using leaked firmware is that you do not know it's origin and what may have been changed - is there a root kit or remote access trojan included in that zipped archive?

You may (or may not) have noticed that I did not make a definitive statement saying that it was leaked, but rather, I suggested that it may have been, based on the name, and I questioned where it was obtained from.

The source is what determines whether or not it is official lor leaked - If I gave you a firmware and said it was genuine - you'd have to take my word for it, but if you personally downloaded it from D-Link themselves, then you'd know it was genuine.

I have two questions for you ...

The first - did you personally download that version from a D-Link web site?  If not, you really haven't a clue as to it's authenticity.

The second - would you expect an english language firmware on the D-Link China website?  Or would you expect one with the web interface translated?  The chinese market is not a small one, most manufacturers (including Microsoft) are offering product customized for the market and I know that at least one router manufacturer is offering product with chinese language firmware.

Looking at D-Link China's website - the only firmware currently offered is 1.03b41 - don't you find it a little strange that they would skip 1.04 & 1.05 and offer 1.06 even temporarily?  I was unable to download the firmware to see if it matched the 1.03 that was released by D-Link USA, or if it's web interface was in chinese, but the documentation that I could download had been translated.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:39:08 AM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

pf

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 07:25:57 AM »

There seems to be a bit of 'naiveity' here - did you seriously expect a "leaked" version to have some text identifying it as such?

I have two questions for you ...

The first - did you personally download that version from a D-Link web site?  If not, you really haven't a clue as to it's authenticity.

The second - would you expect an english language firmware on the D-Link China website?  Or would you expect one with the web interface translated?  The chinese market is not a small one, most manufacturers (including Microsoft) are offering product customized for the market and I know that at least one router manufacturer is offering product with chinese language firmware.

Looking at D-Link China's website - the only firmware currently offered is 1.03b41 - don't you find it a little strange that they would skip 1.04 & 1.05 and offer 1.06 even temporarily?  I was unable to download the firmware to see if it matched the 1.03 that was released by D-Link USA, or if it's web interface was in chinese, but the documentation that I could download had been translated.

Hi,

Here are the answers to your two questions:

Not personnaly however I TRUST at 200% the person who got it on this website.
Also after doing some search on THIS forum, (September/October) there are some members talking also of this 1.06 rev which was available on the China D-Link web site and now disapeared.

Yes this would not be the first time that a local team in a different country obtain a piece of code for evaluation/test or whatever... piece of code not yet translated.
And sometime some piece of code are even never tranlated...
I'm not talking in particular about D-Link but more generally in the computer business.
And for your info I'm fresly retired from a US computer corporation. So I know what I'm talking about...

Best regards
pf

boxst

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 04:43:43 PM »

Hello

I've just loaded a beta version of 1.06 and my Xbox 360 can quite happily see and play movies.

I'm not very keen on the way it can show everything or put it in folders, but it works and I'm happy.

Steve

pf

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »

Hello

I've just loaded a beta version of 1.06 and my Xbox 360 can quite happily see and play movies.

I'm not very keen on the way it can show everything or put it in folders, but it works and I'm happy.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Where did you get this beta release? which site?
It's not on the US or the French site. The Fr site is still at 1.04!!!... 
And which name is it branded?

I'm very confused!
I'm still running an old unofficial version, branded DLink 1.06 (NO BETA mentionned), it works fine and still correct the UPnP A/V problem I've discovered long time ago, BUT the XBox support isn't included.
It would be apparently a leaked version.
My main concern now is to have the XBox support.

Best regards
pf

boxst

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 03:00:22 AM »

I got the beta version from:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/dlink.htm

Just to note that I'm not a 'heavy' user of the DNS-323 and mainly bought it to have a file server to stream movies and do the occasional manual back-up, so I have no idea if this firmware breaks quite a lot of other things.  The one I bought it for (Xbox) now works....

Steve

pf

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 03:45:04 AM »

I got the beta version from:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/dlink.htm

Just to note that I'm not a 'heavy' user of the DNS-323 and mainly bought it to have a file server to stream movies and do the occasional manual back-up, so I have no idea if this firmware breaks quite a lot of other things.  The one I bought it for (Xbox) now works....

Steve

Hi again Steve,

Thank you for the response, yes it's the place where I've found my first 1.06 which doesn't see my XBox, the new one [Version 1.06b60 beta (1.06)]  says it has chineese characters so I'm reluctant to load it as I don't understand the chineese language...
Wich one are you using?
Best regards
pf

boxst

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 04:13:24 AM »

I'm using the one at the top, but it isn't in Chinese (in terms of the interface stays in English).

Steve
Pages: [1] 2