• April 23, 2024, 02:54:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adding recycle bin  (Read 16016 times)

mig

• Level 3 Member
Re: Adding recycle bin
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 11:45:01 PM »

Unfortunately we have network access per username...
That's not exactly the way I see it.  IMHO, it seem to me, that D-Link has implemented network access per 'share'.  I believe, it would be a tremendous improvement in usability for the DNS-323, if D-Link could actually implement access per username.

Of course, this doesn't solve the common recycle bin issue you brought up, but access per username sure would be great!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:48:10 PM by mig »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 12:51:35 AM »

You are correct, misuse of wording on that. It is per share. Same issue still applys :).

s5678

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »

Sorry.  Just trying to help. 

FYI, A common recycle bin isn't a problem for home networks or most small office networks.  You have a good product here, please don't go the mickeysoft route of thinking that you know best and end-users are idiots.  The recycle bin can be configured for each use (just google samba config), I (and most others googling this issue) just didn't want to do it that way. 

Again, sorrry, it's a shame really, just trying to help.

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »

Of course that does make sense.

nightshocker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 07:08:38 AM »

you people and your recycle bin. well if you do add it dlink please add another option to disable it. i find the windows recycle bin annoying, that is why i disable it in windows. if you dont want something deleted dont delete it. simple right.   (yes i never delete anything i do not want)

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 07:26:12 AM »

you people and your recycle bin. well if you do add it dlink please add another option to disable it. i find the windows recycle bin annoying, that is why i disable it in windows. if you don't want something deleted don't delete it. simple right.   (yes i never delete anything i do not want)

Take it easy...there is a reason why OS's have this and it works. If you want a disable option I'll bump that.

Keeping our client files on the NAS is the reason why we own the DNS-323. We have to keep them for 7 years and aren't he type of business that will benefit from a full on enterprise networking solution but we are high  paced never the less. Some of the users here use the NAS for more than storing warez and **** that can suffer deletion. If one of our employees deletes a file / folder and we don't have a paper backup we are screwed should we be audited. I'd like to go fully paperless but we need a recycling bin to prevent the accidental deletions that may or may not occur.

G'night Shocker

wrlee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 12:27:18 PM »

Just a clarification that may not be obvious to the new user. If you just write to /etc/samba/smb.conf then the changes will be lost with each power-down/reboot.
If I remember correctly, I was able to (1) modify the smb.conf file and (2) save add'l Samba changes via the configuration web page. The latter seemed to cause the edits I made in (1) stick. I did not try to add the recycle bin, explicitly, but other settings that were not available on the web page did stick (i.e., changing the default share names).

rkaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 10:07:42 AM »

while it would be a welcome feature; you can do this (recycle bin) more-or-less already.

-move files instead of deleting them
-set permissions for users to read-only, except for an admin (if you have family members that are a little too quick with the delete key)

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »

That's ridiculous...."A" for effort though! Keep em coming!
Pages: 1 [2]