• March 28, 2024, 12:04:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any good converter ?  (Read 13272 times)

ricky_kt

Any good converter ?
« on: February 24, 2008, 11:36:50 AM »

I have tried several video converters to convert my movies to format that DSM-520 can play but all have been unsucessful.  Can anyone suggest one that can convert to DSM-520 formats ?

Thanks in advance

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Any good converter ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:57:45 PM »

Please try Nero recode created by Nero

Settings:
Nero Digital Category: Nero Digital

Nero Digital Profile: Standard
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

wiser

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »

I use vlc for almost everything.  The mpeg 2 and mpeg4 movies I've converted all work well.  Its speed is ok, but its features are amazing.

You can get it from www.videolan.org.

Adrian

ablevy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »

Rather than waste your time converting the movies, try TVersity and ffdshow.  This combination can transcode on the fly most formats assuming you are using a PC to stream from.

Alan

eman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:46:06 AM »

Try Tversity as your media server. It is open (GNU) and handles my formats. There are a bunch of codec's that download with it that covers most (if not all) formats.

I use it with this and a DSM-510.

cj

ricky_kt

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »

I have tried TVersity, which I think the best one of all so far and by far.  However, I am having problem playing VOBs file.  Therefore, I convert my DVDs to other formats, which I think MP4 is the best one.  I don't mind convert to Xvid but have not found one that convert with good video quality and 5.1 sound.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Ricky

ablevy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:49:53 PM »

You shouldn't be having problems running VOB's with TVersity.  There is a recent post which on the TVersity web site that details in painful detail how to set the codecs up to run with TVersity.  Check that out before you try something else.

Alan

randym431

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:38:58 PM »

I found the perfect converter to put you DVD collection on the dsm-520. Its dvdfab platinum version. Set it to convert to ipod, then in the advanced settings, raise the volume to 150% and make sure to change the screen size to 720x???, not the default ipod setting. Also, change the bitrate to 2000. This will give very nice quality on a big screen letterboxed. And the audio will be just right.
This creates an mp4 file that dsm-520 plays. And the quality is near DVD, while reducing the file size from 4GB to 2GB.
Then you can use the dlink dns323 to store your video files on, and bypass that 4GB dns323 limit problem.

Macfoo

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »

SUPER c seems to work very well. you can convert pretty much any video to any video type. And its free!!!

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 10:31:52 AM »

I have tried many different converters and AutoGK is head, shoulders and torso above all the others.  It will create avi files which the DSM-520 will play, with Dolby stereo sound, in a reasonable amount of time.  AutoGK is simple to use, supports batch conversion so you can queue up many jobs and just let it run overnight.  I had no luck with Nero.  I found AutoGK easier to use than Super but if you find an incantation that works for you stick with it.

ricky_kt

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 07:48:25 PM »

I did have some luck with Nero Recode 2 but since upgrade to Nero Recode 3, I got no converted file which would work with DSM-520.  I would appreciate if someone can provide me the profile or configuration of Nero Recode 3 in order to work with DSM-520.  For some reason, I could not go back to Nero Recode 2.

I think AutoGK is much easier than Super but I also ran into some "bad packet" from AutoGK.  I have not got a chance to figure out why.

Thanks in advance

Detale

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 04:07:07 PM »

I have tried alot of converters and none of them seem to work Nero recode does nothng for me that will work with my 520. Im confused I am going to try the ones suggested in this thread

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 04:30:19 AM »

I use RiverPast Video Cleaner Pro.  It have had a lot of success for both standard def and high def content.

Generally I convert it to XVid, but RiverPast Video Cleaner Pro will allow you to convert anything to anything.

skeil909

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 06:01:14 PM »

I did have some luck with Nero Recode 2 but since upgrade to Nero Recode 3, I got no converted file which would work with DSM-520.  I would appreciate if someone can provide me the profile or configuration of Nero Recode 3 in order to work with DSM-520.  For some reason, I could not go back to Nero Recode 2.

I think AutoGK is much easier than Super but I also ran into some "bad packet" from AutoGK.  I have not got a chance to figure out why.

Thanks in advance

Do you get the "bad packet" from AutoGK on all movies?  What type of movies are they?

Detale

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 12:20:34 AM »

Thanks kolinb I am trying RiverPast now I hope it works, My deal is I just got a HiDef 42" and I want to get all of my downloaded movies playing in HiDef but they mostly are formatted in MKV format and the DSM-520 I have doesn't play MKV files, Damn I should have done some more research so Ihave to convert to WMV 9 to get the resolution I want
Pages: [1] 2