• April 25, 2024, 10:43:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Freeze up and fans goes wild.. upgrade got it worse  (Read 21618 times)

salmiakx

• Level 1 Member
Freeze up and fans goes wild.. upgrade got it worse
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:48:57 AM »

Hello

As i have seen some report i have/Had the same problem.
About every 3-4 day my dns-343 froze and the fans started speeding up. No repons from gui or ping.
I read here that the new version 1.03 Had help some people whit this problem so i downloaded it and upgraded the nas.

And the problem got worse.

First it took about 5 min for the nas to start then i i looged in to the gui and then the nas froze up and the fans started spinning fast.

The Nas froze up after about 3 min use.

Then i just suddenly said in the start of the gui that there was a upgrade for the oled-firmware and there only one button to push "start". It upgraded the oled-firmware and it said that i should unplug the cord, wait 5 sec and the plug it in again.

I did that and now it just says "system booting..." for about 10 sec and then i says "system restarts...." then "system booting..." and so on...

SO now i have a NAS that reboots itself every 20 sec. and i cant access it at all.

I have also tryed to hold in the reset-button when starting up to reset the config but this doesn't help ether...

I live in Sweden and the v1.03 hasn't been release for the European market yet.. i downloaded it from the us-site. Does this matter?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 02:57:22 AM by salmiakx »

ben.page

• Level 1 Member
Re: Freeze up and fans goes wild.. upgrade got it worse
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »

i can confirm a similar problem happens to me, sans the restarting. every couple of days (depends on how much writing i'm doing to the NAS) it will become non-accessible. usually restarting the router by cycling the power will fix the problem for a little while.

if i try shutting down the NAS via holding down the POWER button, the OLED just says 'system is halting.......' for ever. if i power down the NAS while that message is on, the raid gets completely rebuilt once i power it back on. that process takes about 12 hours.

i have 4 seagate 1tb drives in r5 array.  do you have seagate drives too? i've read about some issues with seagates and the 343.

i'm in australia and we dont have the latest firmware either, but i've flashed 1.03 from the US site without any problems.

This problem was happening before i flashed the firmware, by the way.

salmiakx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:41:29 AM »

I´m using 4  1TB samsung F1 HDD in a R5.

I hade exactly the same problem whit v 1.02

The update to 1.03 f***ed it up totaly... Now it just try to boot up and then restart itself... i have 1,6 TB data laying on the drives... 15 years of work... thank god that i alwas has a backup of all data to a usb-hdd..

I´m gone report it to Dlink support... and get it replace whit a new one...

ViviOrunitia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:30:17 PM »

I got my unit like 1.5 weeks ago. I wish I'd read this forum first.

Now I suffer from the same problem (newest firmware). Froze once a day or two after I got it, and froze again tonight. It takes like 24 hours to synchronize the RAID (4X1.5 TB), during which time transferring anything to it is impossibly slow.

It would be nice if an official could tell us whether or not they're aware of the problem, or working on it.

It seems widespread enough to warrant a hot-fix. I'd love the unit if it wasn't for this, so I'm really hoping I don't have to return it.

ben.page

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 04:42:48 PM »

@ViviOrunitia - when it freezes, just unplug it and plug it back in - dont shut it down via the power button. it wont re-sync then.

however .. i've been doign this over the last few days and it will only stay up for half a day now - instead of at least a week or so. must be the raid getting out of sync or something?? dlink! little help please!

ViviOrunitia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:40 AM »

I did that last night; simply unplugged it without using the power button.

It still had to re-sync the RAID unfortunately. Quite frustrating.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 02:33:20 PM »

Try resetting the unit to factory defaults and allow it time to sync once more time.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

ben.page

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 02:50:22 PM »

resetting the unit wont wipe the raid array?

ViviOrunitia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 03:18:14 PM »

@ben

When you click reset it will tell you that it doesn't effect data on the drives.

I just did it, will be done re-syncing tomorrow. Will come back if the problem persists.

Would be interesting to know if anyone else solved it this way.

BatMobile

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 03:29:25 PM »

Interesting...I am no expert, but about the only thing I would be cautious of is what drives you have in the machine.  If it came from the factory with say version 1.01 which only supported 1TB drives, and you upgraded to version 1.03 to give you support for larger drives, if you have the large drives in there, how would it handle a factory reset to a firmware that won't handle the drive size??

I don't think that is the issue in this case as the user has only 1TB drives in it, but I know for my unit I had to do a firmware upgrade just to get it to work with my 1.5TB drive array.

Just a cautious word to the wise, remember what you started with and where you are at now.

FWIW

Neill

ben.page

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 03:37:14 PM »

@BatMobile i would assume (and hope) that the firmware would stay the same and not retrograde... @ViviOrunitia let us know how you get on!

ViviOrunitia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »

It doesn't reset the firmware. Just resets the configuration of the unit.

TimeZlicer

• Level 2 Member
    • TimeZlicer
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »

i am using the latest firmware 1.03
and i am also experiencing the same problem,
especially often when there is a lot of activities going on at the same time,
e.g. torrent, rsync
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:09:56 PM by TimeZlicer »

BatMobile

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »

It doesn't reset the firmware. Just resets the configuration of the unit.

OK...that is interesting...may have to keep that in mind if my unit does not sort itself out in the next few days.

Thanks for clarifying that.

:)

DLC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 10:34:02 PM »

Try resetting the unit to factory defaults and allow it time to sync once more time.

I have been having the same problem (fan stay on and NAS freeze up) for the past six months, this seems to get worse with this official 1.30 FW. The symptoms I have observed so far is as the temperature increases and at the same time some large set of data are being written, the fan will will kick starts and system will freeze up in about 10 seconds time. And connection to NAS will be lost, access the the web GUI is not possible but NAS LED is still working normally. Tried power down the NAS by holding on to the power button, the 'Shutting down ...' message will appear like forever while the fan is still blasting away (tried left it in that state for 24hrs before and it is still blasting away, always ended up unplugging the power cable).

A few days ago, I tried reset to factory default and reconfigure the setup to my own settings. Then encountered another freeze last night, it is re-syncing now. D-Link should be looking into this. This seems to affect people using Raid 5. I have 4x1T WD HD configured under Raid 5. I had also encountered a fan-blasting-freeze when doing a scandisk through the webgui.

I also recalled that using one of the beta fw version (cannot remember which one as I tried out every one just hoping to solve this big issue), this freeze never did happen for that beta version, the fan will kick start when getting too hot while writing data to the NAS, the NAS became not responsive for a few seconds then became normal and continue with the writing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:45:58 PM by DLC »
Pages: [1] 2 3