• March 28, 2024, 03:53:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 94% lockup  (Read 10580 times)

mhawley

94% lockup
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:16:56 PM »

I have been trying to set up a 343 with 2 1TB hitachi HDs.  I am using Firmware 1.02A I am setting it up as 2 individual disks, NO RAID.  When I try to format the disks, it always locks up at 94% complete. I have used IE and Foxfire and have cleared the history and cookies. I have also formatted the HDs on a seperate computer and removed all partitions but still get the 94% error. I loaded 1.02a today and have been working with it this PM.  last week i was using 1.02 and reloaded the firmware on several seperate occasions. Any thought on why the hang up.  I am hesitant to purchase 2 additional HD's till i can get the 1st 2 to work.

When the format hangs at 94% and I stop the 343 and restart, it shows 1 volume of ~1TB but not the second 1 TB hd. when I put the 2nd hd in the computer to remove the partitions I see 3 partitions that look the same as the 1st HD.  I have called "tech support" at least twice, and have not gotten very far.  Any suggestions or thoughts.

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
Re: 94% lockup
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:57:09 PM »

Is the entire unit locked up at that point?  Have you tried RAID-0 or RAID-1?

I'm using 1TB Hitachi drives in a RAID-5 config and while I did not experience the 94% issue with 1.02, there were several others.  For one, I believe the new fan control allows that particular drive to run too hot.

You may want to consider dropping back to 1.01 (assuming you don't need any of the fixes provided by 1.02).  Might also run those drives through Hitachi's DFT utility to make sure they aren't faulty.  I had a bad one that gave me headaches for awhile.

Downgrade info can be found here:  http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3522.msg21933#msg21933

Migailu

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 03:59:01 AM »

You don`t have to downgrade..... !
Wait about 1 Hour and the Format Process will succeed !
I`ve got the same Problem with a Raid 5 Format...
The OLED Display shows the wrong Percentage !!

greets
Migailu

JaLooNz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:13:49 AM »

For my case formatting a 1.5TB x4 array, the OLED shows the wrong information, as does the UI if you navigate away during the initialisation phase. Only the screen you start the initialisation shows progress, but even that is not too acuurate wrt the real progress. Once finished, I was shown a screen to reboot the NAS and then I was ready to access the partitions.

However, my experience might differ from yours since yours is made by individual disks.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »

When formatting on all of the DNS NAS devices they seems to progress in the format then hang at 94%. I don't know why but it just does. Just wait it out and let it finish if you are using 1.5TB it may take a while these are very large drives.

Anyone have an average wait time it has taken to complete the format with these drives as a reference they can post for people so they don't get discouraged and restart the format?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

fluxen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 03:18:14 PM »

ECF - I gave it 4 hours (maybe a bit more) sitting at 94% to finish the 4x1.5tb Raid 5 format, and gave up. Maybe it would have finished some day, but I needed to move on. It completed a 4096GB array in about 45 minutes for me, and I'm happily copying stuff over to the reduced-sized array now.

mhawley

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »

I ran the Drive Fitness Test for the Hitachi drives, and looks like one on the drives is bad.  I have sent it back for replacement.  But before I did that, I tried to format the 2 drives as JBOD and the format succeeded. Strange!!! When I was trying to format the 2 1TB drives as seperate drives, the bad one would never finish the format, the longest I left it running was over 24 hours, and no go. 

When I plugged the bad drive directly into a computer mother board SATA connector and started the boot, the SMART warning came up indicataing a bad drive.  When I ran the drive fitness test, this comfirmed the drive was bad. Does the DNS have any SMART capability?  This has really been frustrating, spending no telling how many hours trying to figure out the problem, which I hope only is that the HD was bad.  I am now waiting for a replacement HD to see if the problem has been solved.  The DNS always showed the bad drive was connected on the led display and showed activity with the bad drive.  The bad drive always seemed to show up in the webpage utility also.  If there is not SMART technology built into the DNS, that is one thing that might be helpful since not everyone would have a computer with a SATA socket to test drives to make sure they are good or bad.

chaicka

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 12:22:21 AM »

ECF - I gave it 4 hours (maybe a bit more) sitting at 94% to finish the 4x1.5tb Raid 5 format, and gave up. Maybe it would have finished some day, but I needed to move on. It completed a 4096GB array in about 45 minutes for me, and I'm happily copying stuff over to the reduced-sized array now.

I encountered similar... even for smaller drives like 1TB and randomly on the same HDD, so it's definitely not HDD issue.

Well, I usually leave it overnight and the next day, it just complete the format. Thus, I am not sure how long is the exact wait to be. But definitely more than a few hours (from evening to midnite still not complete). Else, reboot the NAS and re-try again. Sometimes it works on 2nd or 3rd attempt to format.

H2oSprayer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 06:24:16 AM »

Anyone have an average wait time it has taken to complete the format with these drives as a reference they can post for people so they don't get discouraged and restart the format?
Well, I've been sitting at 94% for about 24 hours now.  Initially, I installed a 1.5tb hd after installing 1.02a as a JBOD.  It would hang at 94% for a few hours, I would turn the power off, let it reset and try it again.  After doing this a few times, I just let it be for a while.  I came back to it a few days later and it had completed formatting.  Now I am trying to install a 1tb HD as JBOD and I'm still waiting @ 94% 24 hours later. 

krull

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »

I have been trying to set up a 343 with 2 1TB hitachi HDs.  I am using Firmware 1.02A I am setting it up as 2 individual disks, NO RAID.  When I try to format the disks, it always locks up at 94% complete. I have used IE and Foxfire and have cleared the history and cookies. I have also formatted the HDs on a seperate computer and removed all partitions but still get the 94% error. I loaded 1.02a today and have been working with it this PM.  last week i was using 1.02 and reloaded the firmware on several seperate occasions. Any thought on why the hang up.  I am hesitant to purchase 2 additional HD's till i can get the 1st 2 to work.

When the format hangs at 94% and I stop the 343 and restart, it shows 1 volume of ~1TB but not the second 1 TB hd. when I put the 2nd hd in the computer to remove the partitions I see 3 partitions that look the same as the 1st HD.  I have called "tech support" at least twice, and have not gotten very far.  Any suggestions or thoughts.

Had the same issue, and the 1.03 beta firmware fixed it. Hope this helps. Tell us experience afterwards.

- KrulL

netman1969

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 11:31:53 AM »

When formatting on all of the DNS NAS devices they seems to progress in the format then hang at 94%. I don't know why but it just does. Just wait it out and let it finish if you are using 1.5TB it may take a while these are very large drives.

Sooooooo.... if D-Link support knows it's broken, but you dont know why it's broken, why doesnt D-Link Engineering fix it?

Now don't take this personally ECF, we all realize that you are just a cog in the corporate wheel. But one of the things I have noticed going through these forums is that there seem to be a lot of work arounds, a lot of "yea, we know" type statements, etc. coming out of D-Link support. If support knows about an issue, engineering should be hard at work trying to fix it... I find myself wondering where the breakdown is.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 04:09:25 PM »

Please see the beta code...

atmyc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »

I have the same problem. It must be a bug of 343,dlink has not fix it on 1.03 b7

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »

Have you placed the drive in your PC and removed all partitions then try the format again in the DNS-343?