• April 25, 2024, 03:25:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Firmware 1.32NA incompatible with Hardware Rev A2?  (Read 3869 times)

TallJeff

• Level 1 Member
Firmware 1.32NA incompatible with Hardware Rev A2?
« on: December 20, 2009, 11:15:29 AM »

After running my wireless network for about a year and a half with F/W 1.21 on my DIR-655, I upgraded to 1.32NA (after foolishly not noticing that the promised Windows 7 benefits only applied to H/W Rev A4 anyway).  I set up the new firmware just like the old - starting with the default settings, then applying the changes this forum recommends for 300 Mbps connections.  I've had no luck with my network since that point.  The first thing I noticed was that my desktop PC running Vista Ultimate x64 and a DWA-556 could no longer connect to the network at all.  My laptop PC running Windows 7 and a DWA-652 was still able to connect reliably, but at a considerably slower speed than before the router firmware upgrade.

I spent about 12 hours testing different settings on my own, none of which would allow the desktop to connect.  I called D-Link tech support for help.  After four calls and another 8 or so hours (mostly spent waiting for a technician), the best answer I got was to set the DTS and RTS to 2100, which allows the desktop to connect about 50% of the time at about one quarter of the pre-1.32NA speed, but drops the laptop reliability and speed down.  That's not an acceptable state to be in.

Does anyone have 1.32NA running on A2 hardware?  If so, did you need any specific setting to do it?

I'm very frustrated with D-Link at this point.  If 1.32NA doesn't work wth hardware rev A2, fine - just tell me.  It turns out it wouldn't have done me any good anyway without rev A4 hardware.  If it does work, why can't anyone tell me how?  Finally, why can't I downgrade back to 1.21?  At this point I'm on the verge of selling all of my D-Link networking gear, and replacing it with LinkSys (or Netgear).  Can anyone here help me with this firmware problem?

Thanks,
Jeff

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
Re: Firmware 1.32NA incompatible with Hardware Rev A2?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »

Been running A2 for a couple of years now, currently on the beta 09 firmware.  Ran 1.32NA without any issues from the first day it was released.  I would try the beta 09 and see if that helps.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=9246.0

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »

Been running A2 for a couple of years now, currently on the beta 09 firmware.  Ran 1.32NA without any issues from the first day it was released.  I would try the beta 09 and see if that helps.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=9246.0

Same here.

TallJeff

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:38:35 PM »

It's good to hear that there's some hope!  I upgraded to the beta firmware in the link above, and things seem slightly less bad.  I'm still connecting as the exception rather than the rule, though - would either of you be willing to give me a gateway_settings.gws file with your settings?  (Hopefully there's an easy way to do that without including your encryption key and/or SSID)

Thanks!
Jeff

TallJeff

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »

Well, I found the answer to the problem.  I unplugged the DIR-655, then plugged in a LinkSys WRT400N.  I set the WRT400N up exactly like the DIR-655 had been, and both clients imediately connected at their old speeds or slightly faster.  Whatever happened when I updgraded the firmware from 1.21 to 1.32NA made my DIR-655 totally useless.  I don't know what it was, but I know that if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't go near that firmware update again.

It's a shame that D-Link puts support options for e-mail, telephone, and forums on their website, but doesn't actually provide any support over any of them.  The reply to my e-mail was "we can't help with that over e-mail, call us."  My four phone calls resulted in four different people rushing to get me off of their phone as quickly as possible.  One of them even told me to download 1.21 and downgrade my firmware - if only I could!!  But, as soon as you get to the firmware section of the site, it clearly states that you can't (and they're right - I tried it despite the warnings, and it doesn't work).