• April 16, 2024, 01:52:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Firmware downgrade  (Read 4751 times)

DIR-855 :-(

• Level 2 Member
Firmware downgrade
« on: August 15, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »

Has anyone tried to downgrade from the 1.2x rectum firmware to 1.1x which was clearly more stable?

Is it possible even if the clowns at DLink say it isn't?

claykin

• Level 3 Member
Re: Firmware downgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »

If Dlink says the downgrade is not possible, then it isn't.  They've blocked it in the firmware writing routine.  Most likely reason is that the newer firmware made a modification to the router that either cannot be undone or cannot reliably be undone.  Most likely thing is that Ubicom gives Dlink a small area in the CPU to write microcode to address functionality issues.  Depending on how Ubicom's development tools work, they may not support downgrading changes to the microcode.

Ubicom recently released a version of their development tools that supports Linux.  Its also possible that these newer firmware versions are written using these new tools.  Just a guess, but I bet I'm not far off....

DIR-855 :-(

• Level 2 Member
Re: Firmware downgrade
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »

Sounds like it might have some merit.

I was thinking a long the lines that it was more to do with company policy (ie good neighbor support on 2.4 ghz by default) which is a requirement for Final N standard.