• March 29, 2024, 07:23:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't access my 942 via the www  (Read 9474 times)

ThomasWH

• Level 1 Member
Can't access my 942 via the www
« on: August 15, 2012, 06:09:09 AM »

Ok so for many days I did manage to access the IP address for a livestream, and to go into the advanced setup of the camera. Suddenly, it stops working. i can't access it. What happened?

I enter the IP address into the url field and hit enter. Several seconds pass by.. Then I get this message: "The connection has timed out." and nothing happens.

This is making me upset cause I need to get this camera working NOW! I want to delete everything on the SD car, and also lower the sensor so that it wont record everything including NON movements like it does now.

Any help greatly appreciated as I have a neighbor from hell and I need proof that this neighbor is doing illegal things on my property. (keying my car, molesting the neighbor cat, hitting my windows with rocks etc.)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Can't access my 942 via the www
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:17:25 AM »

Is the goal to view the camera on your LAN or mydlink website?
Are you still able to access the camera web interface using a browser on your LAN?
Is the camera connected to your router via a wired or wireless connection?
What make/model router do are you using?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:26:21 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ThomasWH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:25:27 AM »

Is the goal to view the camera on your LAN or mydlink website?
Are you still able to access the camera web interface using a browser on your LAN?
Is the camera connected to your router via a wired or wireless connection?
What make/model router do are you using?

Thanks for your reply.

* I _can_ see the camera on the mydlink website.
* I can not see the camera using its IP address, and thats the problem cause thats where the advanced setup of the camera is right? (the orange/black screen menus)
* Its connected using wired connection BUT I plan to only use the SD-function as I need to put the camera in my car and my wifi doesnt reach down into the garage
* I am using a Cisco Linksys E2500 (supposedly an amazing router?)

When I click on "My Camera" and log into My Dlink (eu.mydlink.com/device) on the web, I immediately see the camera using LAN. (I have a laptop now so I am looking at the feed via wifi, and the camera is connected to the router, of course!)

But the green light on the back of the camera switches from staying green, to blinking green once in a while. Why? Like right NOW its blinking green while it shows the live feed of my livingroom.

I can also successfully view my camera feed on my iPhone 3GS and 4S, as well as on my New iPad, all using MyDlink Lite. This is good. But I am having issues with logging into the camera using the IP address, as well as changing the cameras settings, cause I cant log in! :(

I am very new to all of this so bare with me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:31:22 AM by ThomasWH »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:32:39 AM »

Thanks for your reply.

When I click on "My Camera" and log into My Dlink (eu.mydlink.com/device) on the web, I immediately see the camera using LAN. (I have a laptop now so I am looking at the feed via wifi, and the camera is connected to the router, of course!)

• What happens if you enter the camera IP address in a browser? Can you access the camera web interface?
  • What happens if you enter the following into a browser: http://[CAMERA_IP_ADDRESS]/mjpeg.cgi
  • Is the camera connected to your router via a wired or wireless connection?
  • What make/model router are you using?

But the green light on the back of the camera switches from staying green, to blinking green once in a while. Why? Like right NOW its blinking green while it shows the live feed of my livingroom.

I am very new to all of this so bare with me.

I'm not 100% sure, but the green LED may blink whenever the camera is being accessed from a client PC. There are controls to shut the LED off in the camera web interface.

ThomasWH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 06:48:29 AM »

This is so dumb. I just noticed, somehow, that the cameras IP has changed. WHY did it change?

I managed to log into the camera THRU the mydlink website clicking the "advanced setup" button, then logging in as admin and using the password.

Now its time to look at setup! How do I make the camera less sensitive? Now its recording ANYTHING. Even if I have it on "motion detect"

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »

This is so dumb. I just noticed, somehow, that the cameras IP has changed. WHY did it change?

Your router is set to dynamically assign IP addresses.  Here's a hypothetical scenario that could cause the IP address to change:

• The DCS-942L joined the network
  • The router assigned the next free IP address: 192.168.1.2
  • The DCS-942L briefly lost power or was restarted and the router released the IP address
  • Your laptop logged into the network
  • The router assigned 192.168.1.2 because it was free
  • The DCS-942L rejoined the network
  • The router assigned the next free IP address: 192.168.1.3

Your router web interface should provide an option to assign a static IP address (or reserve a specific IP address) for the DCS-942L. Once a static IP address is assigned the DCS-942L, the reserved IP address will always be assigned to the DCS-942L even if the camera is briefly removed from the network.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 07:20:04 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:05:32 AM »

Now its time to look at setup! How do I make the camera less sensitive? Now its recording ANYTHING. Even if I have it on "motion detect"

Navigate to the following screen in the DCS-942L web interface: SETUP > Motion Detection

Please see this thread: DCS-9XX - Motion Detection Settings

In addition to the information in the above thread, experiment by checking Enable PIR and unchecking Enable Video Motion. These are two different types of motion detection methods. PIR uses infrared to detect motion, while Video Motion detects pixel differences between captured video frames. The PIR should provide better results. Using both may prove problematic. Try different combinations until you achieve favorable results.

ThomasWH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »

Thank you for the networking 101.. I appreciate it!
So now, how do I make the camera less sensitive for recording motion detected videos? I had the sensitivity set to 80% but lowered it to 50% now. And I dont see why I should draw a smaller area than 100% of the cameras area to detect motion either. Suggestions? The camera will now be placed out on my porch facing my neighbors apartment. The neighbor will appear and hit my window any of these coming nights, and I need to catch that on video and give it to the police as per their request. However this camera is not made to be outdoors, neither must it be detected. So I need to hang it dangling out of my window on the farmost side of the porch, and let it record any movements made by the neighbor. But its vital that it only records the PERSON, and not random videos of nothing like it has done til now. I cant sit for hours going thru video material with nothing on it.

ThomasWH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 07:10:34 AM »

Navigate to the following screen in the DCS-942L web interface: SETUP > Motion Detection

Please see this thread: DCS-9XX - Motion Detection Settings

In addition to the information in the above thread, experiment by checking Enable PIR and unchecking Enable Video Motion. These are two different types of motion detection methods. PIR uses infrared to detect motion, while Video Motion detects pixel differences between captured video frames. The PIR should provide better results. Using both may prove problematic. Try different combinations until you achieve favorable results.

I see. I had both checked. Now I have remove Video Motion. But PIR will still function as "motion detection" right? And not record all the time?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 07:15:07 AM »

I see. I had both checked. Now I have remove Video Motion. But PIR will still function as "motion detection" right? And not record all the time?

Each option is a different method of motion detection. One method (PIR) looks for changes in the infrared spectrum, the second method (Video Motion) looks for pixel changes in captured images.  Two methods of doing the same thing.  They work independently of one another.

Please see the link I previously posted for recommended sensitivity settings.

ThomasWH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 07:31:05 AM »

Saw the link. Good post. Thank you. You are most helpful! We need more persons like you in this world. I will check out the camera and its options tonight. Will report back here!

BTW: Which options do I have when I only use PIR mode? Doesnt seem like I can change any settings then?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:02:37 AM by ThomasWH »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:42:37 AM »

Saw the link. Good post. Thank you. You are most helpful! We need more persons like you in this world. I will check out the camera and its options tonight. Will report back here!

Glad I could help.

BTW: Which options do I have when I only use PIR mode? Doesnt seem like I can change any settings then?

I don't personally own the DCS-942L, so I can't comment on those settings. Perhaps another DCS-942L owner could chime in.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 08:45:08 AM »

Addressing one of your earlier questions, you can change the LED light behavior here:
MAINTENANCE > Admin > Device Settings > LED light