• March 28, 2024, 11:29:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-932L Audio Static Issue - More info  (Read 13335 times)

JudgePenitent

• Level 1 Member
DCS-932L Audio Static Issue - More info
« on: July 28, 2013, 01:32:51 PM »

I've been tearing my hair out regarding this audio issue, and I've noted that this has been a known issue for quite some time. Since D-Link hasn't seen it fit to run a resolution to ground, I thought I would provide some additional tips and information to see if they'll get their act together on this.

So, after doing a lot of work testing to see if there was any RF interference, I came up with a decent workaround. Using a ground loop isolator that I had picked up at Radio Shack for a few bucks (for an unrelated matter), I pulled up the stream on my iPad, plugged in the ground loop isolator, and plugged the audio cable into my computer and voila! The static/hissing noise was greatly diminished.

I then unplugged the ground loop isolator and plugged the audio feed directly into my computer, recorded a few seconds of room tone, and analyzed the sound in spectrogram view. It appears that the hiss is fairly constant and concentrated in the 5hz to 180hz range, concentrated at 50-60hz, confirming what I suspected... Mains Hum. That's all it is. You won't hear a lot of this on most webcams because they plug into the USB port, rather than the electrical system of your house

If you EQ the audio file and lower the audio for 180hz and below, the hiss is gone and the audio quality is preserved. I'd imagine that would be an easy fix for our friends at D-Link, if they took the time to either update the App or the firmware to eliminate this.

mannyandbuddy

• Level 1 Member
Re: DCS-932L Audio Static Issue - More info
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »

Hello, thats a good point I will give it a try to hopefully improve sound, this is all new to me as I just installed 2 dcs 942l cameras, would it help to have theses cameras pluged into a surge protector, Thanks

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »

Unless you are referring to a different issue, the audio clicking/static issue was correct back in firmware v1.02b02 (released 9/28/2011). Are you running a DCS-932L using stock firmware predating firmware version 1.02?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:26:48 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

slaboure

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:08:42 AM »

Javalawyer, I confirm this to be an issue even with the latest firmware. I have 2 devices just bought, both face the problem.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:30:33 AM »

Javalawyer, I confirm this to be an issue even with the latest firmware. I have 2 devices just bought, both face the problem.

Can other DCS-932L owners confirm this? Speaking from personal experience, the clicking sound on my DCS-932L disappeared when the issue was fixed in firmware version 1.02b02, released in September 2011.

rowdyplace

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:49:05 AM »

My overall grade for the D-Link audio quality is a B-, at best.  I can hear what is going on in the room, but there is a lot of static (white noise) in the background.  Is this what is being referred to as "clicking" sound?

I do not hear anything "clicking"...

This applies to both a 932 and a 930 camera.

I'll be glad to set up a temp link for moderator's opinion... 
Javalawyer - PM me if wanted.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »

The clicking sound was just that. . . an audible (and quite loud) clicking or popping sound that was akin to static.

slaboure

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

Agreed, this is not a clicking sound, this is just terrible static. I can't hear what's in the room, there's just too much static. Again, same on two cameras.

sip06pp

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »

Confirmed. Latest firmware - sound quality bad - continuous hissing background noise

viper101

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »

I have a DCS-7010L, connected via POE, with external microphone. Same kind of constant low frequency static noise. This occurs even when microphone not plugged in and audio in still turned on. (i.e. microphone is fine). This static is not environmental-based. sip06pp: even though we have different cams, seems like same issue. Did you ever figure out a solution? I have multiple cams from multiple vendors without with this issue. Would some kind of grounding help, or is it software/firmware/camera based?

sip06pp

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 01:37:42 AM »

I believe its camera issue. I experience the same thing with DCS933L camera that i bought recently but in much less degree which is bearable