• April 24, 2024, 03:52:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 Firmware 1.08B05 killed my RAID1!!!  (Read 4339 times)

flickster99

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 Firmware 1.08B05 killed my RAID1!!!
« on: October 11, 2009, 02:04:39 AM »

The Australian D-Link site has only v1.08B05 as updated software.

I downloaded this and did the u/g and on reboot both my drive LEDs went amber!!

After trying to reboot, the lights went blue and then back to amber again and the GUI was not registering the Seagate disks that have not missed a beat for 18 months!

I'm very greatful that I have the capacity in my main PC to copy the data over and reading this forum I found the Ext2IFS drivers that allowed me to mount the drive in my Win PC and save my data.

I'm really cranky though that in reading this forum there seems to be a difference in the way versions over 1.07 store the data - yet I got no warnings on this possibility of data loss.  >:(  >:(  >:(

Why is there no warnings and why is there no v1.07 on the Aus site???????

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: DNS-323 Firmware 1.08B05 killed my RAID1!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:49:26 AM »

I don't know about the Aus version, but afaik for the UK 1.08 beta firmware there should be no data loss after upgrading. The file system of your disks will not be formatted to the newer ext3 file system unless you ask it to. Sounds like a bad firmware flash seeing as your drives are still readable in Windows. Try flasing to the last firmware you had running successfully.

You should also always backup your data before any update as I'm sure every firmware upgrade procedure will warn you.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:52:01 AM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 06:26:11 AM »

You can also take the disks out before you do the firmware upgrade, some time back they configured the unit to respond with no disks installed.

You won't have any issues with RAID sync or the like if both disks are removed and replaced at the same time.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

flickster99

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »

Agree with all you've said, but even after a reflash back to 1.06 I still couldn't get the NAS running and after a full reset it kept asking me to rebuild the RAID1. Same when I went back to 1.08B05.

If I hadn't found the Ext2IFS drivers, I would really have been in the sh1t. I have my data but have to do a full rebuild of a 1Tb system, which is a pain.

Lesson learnt but I'm cranky as there was no warning given and the Australian D-LINK site is seeding beta code as if it was the final release.