• April 26, 2024, 11:01:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 323 Freezes - Large Folder Problems?  (Read 3398 times)

cdseaman

323 Freezes - Large Folder Problems?
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:56:47 AM »

Hi,
I've had my 323 for about 1 month now and have yet to get it to stay up active on my network for more than about an hour.  My issues so far:

1.  I had great trouble even putting anything on the drive - transfers would constantly fail whether I was hardwired or wireless.

2.  Now that I have some files on the unit it regularly freezes - I have to unplug it to reset - pressing the power button does nothing.

3.  The device, as it freezes regularly, removes itself from the network meaning I have to disconnect the drive, reset it by unplugging, remap drive, and pray I get something done in the hour or so it will stay up and running.

4.  In related matters the Itunes server doesn't work at all (I am on Firmware 1.5) so this should handle large libraries - my library is about 600GB (yes 600 not 60).

Support has been of no assistance, they said my unit was defective and that I could send it back for a replacement at my expense.  In my mind they didn't prove that the unit was defective, rather in my experience its just a terrible piece of equipment.

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?  On how to stabilize this devices performance on my network?

Regards,
CDS

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: 323 Freezes - Large Folder Problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:35:09 AM »

I'd say if support says it's defective then send it back - but - if you feel there's more that can be done to troubleshoot then it's your choice.

Let's take a look at the symptoms

Doesn't stay active on your network for more than an hour ....

That could come from the device failing OR the network failing - try leaving the device idle and unused for an hour and see if it dies - or - open a command prompt and ping the unit's ip address continuously, if it fails under those circumstances I would say a defective unit is the problem.

On the other hand - if it doesn't fail or it only fails when you're trying to transfer data - you may need to look at the network.

I would assume that with a 600GB library you have at some point transferred significant quantities of data across your network and should have some idea of what to expect - so what I'll say is this - if you can transfer small files, but not large files, that would suggest network related issues.

Now I'll readily admit that I don't have 600GB music libraries - but - I've had my unit handling single >60GB files with no failures, and also transferring folders with huge numbers of files (171,000files, 11,000 sub folders, 14GB total) a process that can take upwards of twelve hours - now - if my files were all 3MB mp3 or similar, that would be close to 500GB, so I don't see why you should have problems based on the size of your library.

So - first you determine under what circumstances your unit fails, and it will in fact freeze if left to sit idle, then I would agree with tech support - oh - I've had my unit going on 20~21 months, just in case you're interested
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

rrodan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:16:56 AM »

My music library is about 250GB and the DNS-323 FW v.1.05 performs well.  The DNS-323 did lock up on me with the Itunes server enabled pointing to the large library.  I do not recommend enabling the Itunes server on the Dlink, rather access the music via an SMB mounted share.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:51:39 PM »

Try disabling the iTunes server and see if your issues go away.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream