• March 28, 2024, 04:03:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Live stream time limit  (Read 10001 times)

Stelcom66

• Level 2 Member
Live stream time limit
« on: December 22, 2015, 12:28:24 PM »

Today when I connected to my camera from my work laptop the video stopped with the message 'Live streaming ended' or something like that. When I reconnected after a couple minutes I then noticed a 'Live stream time limit' counter counting down from a minute. Why is that? I didn't happen when streaming at home with a different PC, but same I.E. browser - although at the moment I can't say if the I.E.s are the exact same version.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Live stream time limit
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »

Is this your first time connecting at work?

Stelcom66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:48:09 PM »

No, and I'm relatively sure (but can't say 100%) that I didn't run into the time limit before. At home I definitely don't. The I.E. version of the work laptop is 11, I'll check what the home one is this evening.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 02:50:49 PM »

I've only seen it on my tablet when the connection is really slow or the camera needs a reboot while at home.

Haven't spent anytime away from home viewing for a more than 30 seconds here or there.

Kakashi::.

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »

Today when I connected to my camera from my work laptop the video stopped with the message 'Live streaming ended' or something like that. When I reconnected after a couple minutes I then noticed a 'Live stream time limit' counter counting down from a minute. Why is that? I didn't happen when streaming at home with a different PC, but same I.E. browser - although at the moment I can't say if the I.E.s are the exact same version.

Just so you know, it has nothing to do with the browser or OS version, it has to do with Location and how the Local Router handles the connection to the mydlink® service.

A camera connected behind a UPnP enable router, will not experience this viewing time limitation because the service will hand off the streaming to the app and router connection after the authentication, but a camera connected to a router that has NO UPnP handling ability (or when UPnP has been disabled) will experience this limitation in viewing time when the connection is coming form outside the camera's network due to the fact that the mydlink® services act as a relay to the video streaming from the camera due to the inability to hand off streaming to the app and router after authentication.   

Hope is clear for you, if NOT please shoot the questions.

Stelcom66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 07:25:05 PM »

Didn't think it was to do with the browser, or my router as I don't get the timeout when using accessing the camera from home. Tried it again tonight from home with my pc, I connected for 20 minutes with no timeout. From work the 1 minute countdown timer would start after about a minute. Then I connected with the company pc at home, took a lot longer than my home pc to connect but I stayed connected for about 10 minutes, then I logged off. There's plug-ins and other Java scripts installed on the company pc. Don't know if that could be a factor or something else with the network, but I'm really not too concerned about it as I wouldn't typically access the camera away from home. RYAT3 experienced it when the connection was slow - my home network is a heck of a lot faster than the one at work. I didn't find any settings for UPnP on my router, I'll check again for future reference.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:07:13 AM by Stelcom66 »

Kakashi::.

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 12:00:31 PM »

Stelcom66,
Although browser and OS is not, Location and Router configuration is the determining factor. If the user is on the local network (LAN side of the router) the service identifies it and hands off the streaming from the camera to the local PC (Local network), but if the connection is coming from the outside (WAN side of the router) then the UPnP negotiation must be use to hand off the streaming, if this is NOT possible, then the service becomes the proxy between the connection (activating the 2 Minutes timer) after the end of the two minutes you can always reconnect for another 2 minutes proxy services to continue watching your live view, this can go on for as long as you need it to see it... but this is obviously annoying, so correcting the way the router handles the UPnP negotiation is the best option (in other words Enable UPnP) See the FAQ on mydlink.com/support that talks about 5 minutes being the limit... I really have to test this again... for some reason I remember 2 minutes being the limit. ( How can I watch my camera’s live video without a time limit? )

Stelcom66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »

OK thanks for the information. To be sure I understand - even though I'm logging into mylink.com, when home, the router is streaming the camera directly to my pc? I did see that when I use my Android tablet there's an option on the app to stream directly to the tablet... at least I think that's what it does... but that's a different situation from the Windows pc. So it does sound like it definitely is a UPnP setting in my router. Although it's really not that important to monitor away from home, I do want to see (and learn more) how I can access that setting in my Linksys router.