• March 29, 2024, 05:41:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Motion Detection from outside the designated grid  (Read 7905 times)

rsraider113

• Level 1 Member
Motion Detection from outside the designated grid
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:39:49 AM »

I've set up motion detection using IE browser or mydlink, either way I am always getting motion detection from outside the designated grid. 

In this example, the grid is a portion of my driveway and sidewalk leading to the front door.  However, car traffic on the street, which is not anywhere near the defined motion detection grid with trigger a motion event every single time.

It seems like motion detection is against the entire frame area, not the grid I defined.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Motion Detection from outside the designated grid
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 08:10:11 AM »

As a test, you may want to trying different selection combinations to see how the camera behaves:

• Select Whole Image (Grid covers everything)
  • Select Nothing (No grid used)
  • Select one grid square in the corner of the screen

I think these three combinations should provide some clues as to how the camera is behaving. If you perform these tests, please post the results!
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 04:34:30 PM »

I've set up motion detection using IE browser or mydlink, either way I am always getting motion detection from outside the designated grid. 

In this example, the grid is a portion of my driveway and sidewalk leading to the front door.  However, car traffic on the street, which is not anywhere near the defined motion detection grid with trigger a motion event every single time.

It seems like motion detection is against the entire frame area, not the grid I defined.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Do you have PIR enabled?

rsraider113

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »

ICR is set to automatic,  IR Light is set to off

I tried some various settings of the motion grid as suggested.  It appears the grid is not nearly an exact area.  If there is motion in proximity to a grid, motion is detected.  Very repeatable, put grids on the sidewalk along the road and car traffic will set off motion detection.   Watched one example of a bird walking around in the yard, it was about a foot away from the grid, when motion detection occured, about one "block" away from the actual grid.

Bottom line, looks like motion detection is happening about one "block" outside of the actual grid definition.  

rsraider113

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 05:13:37 AM »

I agree shadows will trigger motion.  But in both the street/sidewalk and bird examples shadows were not a factor due to time of day.

By moving the grid off the sidewalk along the street, I've reduced motion detection to a handful of hits per day.  Most hours there is no detection.

My 2 cents,  motion detection  grids are either overly sensitive or just flat wrong versus the visual grid representation.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »

I agree shadows will trigger motion.  But in both the street/sidewalk and bird examples shadows were not a factor due to time of day.

By moving the grid off the sidewalk along the street, I've reduced motion detection to a handful of hits per day.  Most hours there is no detection.

My 2 cents,  motion detection  grids are either overly sensitive or just flat wrong versus the visual grid representation.

What is your sensitivity set at?

I had a post here, which from my understand appears to be wrong.

It's unreal, that the "help" in the firmware file describes 50%... This is ambiguous!!!!

The way it is written is wrong (to me).

I've determined ... that >50% sensitivity = MORE HITS....

So, what's your sensitivity and "percentage of area" set at?

rsraider113

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »

What is your sensitivity set at?

I had a post here, which from my understand appears to be wrong.

It's unreal, that the "help" in the firmware file describes 50%... This is ambiguous!!!!

The way it is written is wrong (to me).

I've determined ... that >50% sensitivity = MORE HITS....

So, what's your sensitivity and "percentage of area" set at?

Sensitivity is 50, percent is 5.  I'll move the sensitivity lower and put some grids back near the street and see what happens.

Interesting idea if sensitivity really is related to grid boundaries.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:02:43 PM »

Sensitivity is 50, percent is 5.  I'll move the sensitivity lower and put some grids back near the street and see what happens.

Interesting idea if sensitivity really is related to grid boundaries.

Hard to say what these cameras are really picking up for whatever...

Or even how tight these firmwares are coded...