• May 13, 2024, 03:10:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DNS-345 - Transfer Rate Issue  (Read 18903 times)

Anvi

• Level 1 Member
DNS-345 - Transfer Rate Issue
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »

Transfer rates need to be fixed.. I'm getting 45MB/s peak transfer rate when moving files on local network to the DNS-345.

8GB file transfer:
LAN1 35MB/s peak write
LAN1+LAN2 45MB/s peak write

Sadly average rates are a little bit lower.. HDDs can't be the bottleneck here as each of them are able to read/write 100-130MB/s.

FW: 1.01
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:31:04 AM by JavaLawyer »

HunterGeo

DNS-345 - Transfer Rate Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 03:45:17 PM »

Well, for the first two or three days after upgrading to this v1.01b09 firmware, things were running at full speed and I was happy. Sadly, after that, it has gone back to being slow again. :(
I am experiencing much slower speeds than Anvi, above. I'm talking KB/s. Not MB/s.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:30:29 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-345 - Transfer Rate Issue
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:35:10 AM »

The first two posts in this thread were originally located in the DNS-345 - Firmware Wishlist thread. These posts were moved here due to relevancy with the Firmware Wishlist thread.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Leathal

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »

WD Red NAS 2TB drives
RAID 5 configuration
Adaptive Load Balancing - 40MB/sec

Firmware: 1.01

HunterGeo

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »

Anvi, what type of hard drives do you have in your DNS? I notice my HDDs (Seagate 3TB disks) sounds like they're constantly powering-up and powering-down so I wonder if that is the cause of my speed issues...

Sadly, I don't have any hard drives to test with and am afraid that if I remove my current HDDs from the NAS, I'll lose all my files. I don't really understand how this works. Do HDDs automatically get reformatted when you insert them into the DNS-345?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »

HunterGeo, do yourself a favour and make a backup of your data.  Any RAID setup is NOT a backup.

Hard disks don't normally get reformatted unless there is a problem with either the RAID setup or the disk is a new replacement but even then you have to confirm formatting.

If you do remove any of the disks in your unit mark them with the slot number so you can replace them in the clot you took them from.

HunterGeo

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:02:16 PM »

Thanks, Ivan. I have a backup of the data held on the DNS on other hard drives.

Do you know what file system is used on the HDDs inside the DNS? I assume I would have to run a Linux boot DVD to be able to access the files on the drives inside the NAS if I take them out and put them into a USB enclosure...

Thanks for the advice. :)

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 03:47:59 AM »

If you used the default the drives should be formatted as Ext4 - at least ours are.

Because none of the available IFS available for windows read Ext4 then, yes, you will need to boot from a Linux live CD or DVD.  In fact we have made our own live CD just for that purpose - as well as one for win XP to allow us to get at NTFS formatted drives.

I should have added earlier that you don't need another 3TB drive for testing, any SATA drive of any capacity will do - the main thing is that it is the same rating (SATA II or SATA III) as the one it is replacing.

HunterGeo

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:54:00 AM »

Thanks for that, Ivan.

I have just noticed something very interesting.

Connecting to the DNS-345 via Finder is what has been taking forever to load things. However, if I use the Web Control Panel, and go to the file explorer and download files off the DNS using that, transfers are almost instanteous (for a 20MB file)...

I wonder if this issue occurs on Windows Explorer as well, or if it is just a Mac Finder issue?

HunterGeo

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 03:57:32 AM »

Yup, just tried it in Windows XP (a virtual machine running on my Mac) and it transferred a 780MB file in 24 seconds.

So it must be Finder that is the cause of my issues.
I don't know if everyone else with speed issues is running a Mac or what, but this seems to be a connection to my issue...

HunterGeo

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 04:17:27 AM »

It seems to be an issue with the SMB protocol in Mountain Lion. Will talk with Apple tech support and advise what happens.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »

Thanks for advancing our knowledge of possible solutions. 

I wonder if the problem with SMB is also causing the frequent power-up of your disks because we don't see that here - the disks only power-up when the NAS is accessed.

dnsguy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »

I'm using WD Red 2T drives and getting roughly 30 MB/S transfer rates.  Is that reasonable?

Update Sept 10, 2012: I'm using Ethernet Bonding configured with Adaptive Balancing and I get 80MB/S writes.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:40:56 AM by dnsguy »

kave

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 11:57:39 PM »

It seems to be an issue with the SMB protocol in Mountain Lion. Will talk with Apple tech support and advise what happens.
Why would you ever dream of running an open source windows network protocol from a Mac?
You can just enable afp on the dns and it should be fine.
You can read more what to expect at different raid levels here http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=48231.0

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »

@kave,

That might be fine if AFP works with windows in a VM - if it doesn't, then what?
Pages: [1] 2