• March 29, 2024, 06:18:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 - Poor download speeds while uploading  (Read 3045 times)

jamiedolan

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 - Poor download speeds while uploading
« on: April 13, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »

Hello;

I have a DSL connection with AT&T.  It is rated at 6Mbps / 768Kbps, but it closer to 4Mbps / 600Kbps.  I have a speed stream 5360 connected to the DIR655.  Devices on my network are primarily wireless and include; several laptops, a desktop (which is wireless n), a couple phones / Ipods and a Wii that I watch Netflix on.

I do a lot of Photography and a handful of video work, and backup / share everything online.  When I am uploading photos, even with "conserve bandwidth" turned on in the uploading application, browsing sites is very slow, but reasonably functional.  If I try to upload a video to YouTube, I can barely manage to do anything else the entire time it is uploading.  I've tried to plan and run all my uploads overnight, but then Netflix is unusable when I want to watch it at night.

I've tried several different things, first off, with getting the Wii to function for Netflix, I turned on the QOS engine, for the IP that is assigned to it, and set it to priority 1 for all ports.  I also have a entry in the QOS engine for SSH on port 23 with a priority of 10 because of how laggy my SSH sessions are.  I do not have any other entries in the QOS engine, is that a problem?  Should there be entries that cover other services and assign them a lower priority? 

I have enable traffic shaping and Automatic uplink speed turned on.  It measured the uplink speed at 695kbps, which is pretty accurate.  I have Automatic Classification off, and Dynamic Fragmentation on.  WISH is enabled also. I'm set to mixed n, g, and b, I'm not positive, but I do think my older laptops only use wireless b.

Even more importantly than the Netflix would be to allow me to use the Internet in a functional manner while I am uploading, that would solve a lot of problems.  It seems that the uploads just hog every last bit of upload bandwidth and don't want to make room for even the small requests that one needs to send to view a web page.

Is there anything differently that I could try on my 655 that might help make the situation more tolerable?

Thanks very much;

Jamie

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
Re: DIR-655 - Poor download speeds while uploading
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:01:54 PM »

You would need to throttle your upload speed to about 75% of max.
I noticed the same thing with or without the DIR-655 in the path.
The net is two-way communication and you're pegging the upstream.
So it is a very one-way conversation.

Most of my uploads are FTP so I can throttle the upload speed.

I really don't know what else to tell you other than slow down your upload.
I don't think the DIR-655 can do that for you.

Tell us what you find out.

jamiedolan

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-655 - Poor download speeds while uploading
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »

You would need to throttle your upload speed to about 75% of max.
I noticed the same thing with or without the DIR-655 in the path.
The net is two-way communication and you're pegging the upstream.
So it is a very one-way conversation.

Most of my uploads are FTP so I can throttle the upload speed.

I really don't know what else to tell you other than slow down your upload.
I don't think the DIR-655 can do that for you.

Tell us what you find out.

It's interesting that you mention FTP, my FTP client and FTP backup program both have the ability to limit the speed.  However, even without using the limits on the FTP programs, I don't seem to have nearly the problem when FTP is uploading that I do when things like YouTube are uploading.

My only guess is that the 655 is more easily able to distinguish FTP traffic and reduce it's priority in favor of http traffic.  This makes me think the router is very capable of QOS, but that it just doesn't work with things like Youtube and Picasa because it is all port 80 http traffic. 

I even run a weekly backup to my computer from a server, running a download via ftp at full speed for about 10 hours, and I don't have much in the way of problems with accessing sites during the backups process.

I think the whole problem would be solved if services like Picasa and YouTube would use ftp for large file transfer instead of http.

Jamie