• April 19, 2024, 02:40:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP and permissions issues  (Read 8333 times)

boosted1

FTP and permissions issues
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:35:07 PM »

My setup is all D-Link:

DIR655:  Configured for DDNS
DNS323:  Testing in DMZ, static IP, RAID 1, FTP enabled

DDNS works great on the DIR655.  I can get to the config page for the 655, 323 and a network camera without any delays every time.  I have the 323 DMZ'd for testing sake.

First setup:  3 users, 1 group, all users in the same group.  Group was added to FTP with root access.  FTP seemed to work.  Once share restrictions were enabled on one of the folders, FTP stopped working.  Restrictions were removed and the folder is still inaccessible.  Win explorer ceased to be able to browse the folder from a Vista and XP machine.  "access denied."  However, the same folder is accessible with an OSX Mac via SMB://

Second setup:  323 was reset to factory default.  1 user setup as test, FTP enabled to root.  FTP is now completely inaccessible.

I'm on FW 1.05.

Is it at all possible that with Raid 1 that changes are not being mirrored correctly, so that permissions changes are what they are originally on the mirrored drive, causing conflicts with current configurations?

I need to get these permissions right.  Help please.  Especially with FTP.

boosted1

Re: FTP and permissions issues
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:56:59 AM »

I have reset the DNS323 back to default. I have access via FTP using an FTP client.  But Windows machines will not let me login via FTP using the username and password that works with the FTP client.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:42:39 PM »

You have a Mac OSX that can log into the folder but you Windows PC with the same account cannot? Have you tried it from another Windows PC as well?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

boosted1

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »

Yes.  Tried with both an XP and a Vista machine.  Neither machine could log into the share once the restrictions were removed, but the MAC could log in.

boosted1

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 10:27:23 PM »

Can anyone understand why an FTP client works, but windows explorer does not using ftp://?

Using Windows, it actually promts for a username and pass, but when the right info is typed in, it still denies access.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:42:15 AM »

It would have to do with security's in Explorer. I would not recommend Explorer as you FTP client.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 AM by ECF »

boosted1

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:37:33 PM »

I need to be able to use FTP in order to access a database file remotely.  Do you have any recommendations for the type of application to use.  Or is there any way to do SMB over the internet with the DNS323?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »

There are many FTP clients available online for free download any one of them should do.

boosted1

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:27:06 AM »

Here's my dilemma.  I need to be able to have an open live FTP connection because I need to have the program access the database file. 

Specifically, I'm using a networked version of Quickbooks.  And Quickbooks can only use Windows explorer links to access files.  Is there any way to have an FTP client show up as a link in Explorer?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »

Somehow I don't think that's the way ftp was intended to be used - like the name suggests - ftp or file transfer protocol is for transferring files from location one to location two, and not for remotely accessing the data file.

I believe you're confusing ftp access with SMB access - different client, different security
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

boosted1

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »

I know, that I'm hacking about this a little.  I should be using something like SFTP with an SSH server.  But I was hoping that there was some kind of way to enable the DNS 323 to do that.

Anyone know any hacks to enable SSH or SMB on the DNS 323?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 03:22:55 PM »

At the risk of being repetitive - sftp doesn't work like that - that's simply a secure file transfer protool, again for transferring files from location one to location two, but this time without the lack of security inherent in ftp - as for SSH - or secure shell - that is something else altogether, and does not transfer files.

Also - you don't need to hack the DNS-323 to enable SMB, that is enabled by default

boosted1

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 03:53:44 PM »

Any suggestions you guys have for running SMB over the internet with the DNS323?

Dynamic DNS is working perfectly, I just need to get an application to use.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 08:01:11 PM »

VPN