• April 26, 2024, 04:01:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Initial Setup Problems  (Read 2680 times)

drmfitzg

Initial Setup Problems
« on: December 27, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »

Help!

I just purchased a dns 323 and ran the easy search utility, which finds my unit. However, the configuration button is greyed out. It's connected directly to my laptop and I'm using XP SP2.

I've read all about IP conflicts or other stuff that I don't understand very well but I certainly haven't read any clear solutions.  I've searched the forum, searched the internet, phoned dlink (waited an hour on hold with no luck connecting to a person) and am waiting for an email response.

Any help is much appreciated!

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
Re: Initial Setup Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:53:11 PM »

Please provide some details about your network configuration.  For example:

- Is your DNS connected to your LAN?
- Is your DNS directly to your PC NIC?
- Do you have a router on the network? Which model? Configured for DHCP?
- What IP Address is currently assigned to your PC? What is the Subnet mask? What is the Gateway IP?

If you're PC is connected to a router, and your DNS is connected to the same router, it is possible that your DNS has obtained a different IP Address than what appears in the documentation. 

Look in your router DHCP table (assuming you have a router /w DHCP) to see if you can locate the IP Address of the DNS - you can compare the MAC address against the label on the DNS.  Once you discover the IP Address, try connecting to the DNS via your web browser - ex: http://###.###.###.###

### = IP Address from DHCP

HTH,