• April 18, 2024, 06:51:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WD 3TB Internal Drive  (Read 4297 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
WD 3TB Internal Drive
« on: October 20, 2010, 04:25:50 AM »

It looks like 3TB internal HDDs are finally here.  This should delay the storage concerns for those of us who believe 8TB (4 bays x 2 TB) isn't enough.

Western Digital Shipping World's First Internal 3TB Hard Drive
We've been stuck at 2TB for what seems like forever, and there's good reason for that. Drive partitions larger than 2.19TB create a unique problem for PCs, and trying to boot from them requires a mish mash of technologies, including the use o***PT partition, a modern 64-bit OS (Vista or Windows 7), and a motherboard equipped with an EFI BIOS.

Despite all this, Western Digital has gone ahead and begun shipping a 3TB hard drive in Caviar Green trim, which qualifies as the largest capacity internal SATA drive around. The drive utilizes four 750GB platters as well as Western Digital's Advanced Format technology, which you can read more about here.

To sidestep the issue of integrating large capacity hard drives into your system, Western Digital also bundles an Advanced Host Controller (AHCI)-compliant Host Bus Adapter with its 3TB (and 2.5TB) hard drives, which makes it easier for OSes to locate and use a known driver with correct support for large capacity drives. In other words, you can actually boot from the thing without any crazy voodoo.

The 3TB drive is available now for for $240, while the 2.5TB drive sells for $190.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/western_digital_shipping_worlds_first_internal_3tb_hard_drive

Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

BC2112

• Level 1 Member
Re: WD 3TB Internal Drive
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »

if this is an advanced format drive it will not work

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:49:24 AM »

With the on-board controller,  do you think the DNS-343 could format this for use as a standard volume (i.e. not RAID)?

The Acer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:59:33 PM »

Reading on the website, the advance format, has a setting, for it to be retro compatible with XP.
My thoughts, is if we were not enable the advance format, maybe a simple firmware upgrade similar with the 1.5TB, 2TB issue we had earlier could fix the issue with 3Tb harddrives in the DNS

Link, to show the advance format has a enable setting jumper
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1679&p_created=&p_cats=185&p_cv=1.185&p_pv=2.294&p_prods=227%2C294#jumper

Thoughts??

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 04:31:22 AM »

IMHO, a DNS-343 firmware update addressing the advanced formatting issue in these higher capacity HDDs is highly unlikely.