• April 16, 2024, 06:09:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-320 not working with Windows 8. Fine with Windows 7.  (Read 13512 times)

stan_laurel

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320 not working with Windows 8. Fine with Windows 7.
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:34:34 AM »

First thing. I'm new here. So hello.
Right. I have a D-link DNS-320, It's all up to date. Firmware DNS-320_A1_2.02b01. x5 computers. x2 Windows 7, X2 Windows 8, X1 XP.
The (W8) Windows 8 machines can see the NAS over the LAN, and when I map it, so can (WE) Windows Explorer, via my computer.
It is also possible to get to shared media on the W8 machines, over a LAN, by navigating to them through Open file options in Itunes, and WMP.
On the Win8 machines. ITunes, and (WMP) Windows Media Player fail to connect via UPNP.
The W7 machines, connect via UPNP without a hitch.
The XP machine does the same as the W8 machine.
Anyone have any ideas. I was thinking it may be because W8 uses an email address as your user name. Not sure, and don't want to put any time into the old XP system. It's only used in the garage anyway.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:29:19 AM by stan_laurel »

Annoyed

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-320 not working with Windows 8. Fine with Windows 7.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:54:40 AM »

I also have a DNS-320, and I couldn't connect my new Windows 8 laptop to my home network.

It would be useful if someone from D-Link could post here a link to some instructions pages on their website, regarding connecting Windows 8 machines to previous D-Link NAS.

Your post is 4 months old and I couldn't see any reply to it yet.

Annoyed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:29 AM »

I've just noticed that your post has been viewed 692 times. So there is interest out there. D-Link really could, should, help us here.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 04:09:11 AM »

Annoyed, you are equating views with interest when it is most probably curiosity.

I can't answer the question stan_laurel asked because, a) we don't use windows and b) neither do we use UPNP.  I can say it should be possible to view content via a SMB connection, but that is all.

As for your question, can you connect your laptop to any thing else on the network, i.e. another computer?  If not then it is most probably a problem with how win 8 sets up the network and not a D-Link one - something like win using homegroup rather than workgroup.

Bulles30

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:34 AM »

Hi,

When you say "not working" with W8, what do you mean exactly ?
- Is it accessing file system from (seeing files and directories) you PC ?
- is it when you want to gain access as admin on the DNS 320 screen ?

I've a new PC with W8 and It's not a problem to see files and directories once you configure correctly th workgroup name.
The only problem I encounter is when I want to access the login screen (in order to administrate the DNS) : The screen is freezed and it's impossible ti gain access.
My solution is to declare the IP connection adress in the internet configuration as an internal secure adress and use of https (SSL with port 443).
Doing that, no other problem until now.

Can you explain anymore what you can't do ?

Bye

slonda828

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 07:12:11 PM »

Hi friends,

I had a wireless LAN with my DNS-320 on it. I had XP, 7, and Mac boxes on it, and all of them worked with the NAS. My new windows 8 laptop didn't. I thought I was going to pull my hair out. If you go to start, control panel, programs and features, turn windows features on or off, and make sure that "SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support" is checked.

That fixed it for me, and I have a vanilla install of windows 8.1.

I hope this helps :) After this, net use and all the usual stuff worked for me.

Lawrence_Neo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 01:02:05 AM »

Hi,

The solution that works for me is in the following website:

http://www.thekuehngroup.com/articles/dlink-dns-nas-mapping-crashplan-backup-windows-8/

Hope it helps  :)