• April 19, 2024, 05:17:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!  (Read 167479 times)

nowbie

• Level 1 Member
Re: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:46 PM »

Hi, i just bought my WD20EARS and also just learn about this problem..  ;-p

anyway the problem that i had is that the dns-323 ( f/w 1.08 ) had problem initializing the HDD. i could hear the HDD start spinning up and then stop and repeat several times before it stops completely.  The browser show that it didn't detect the drive.. 

Is this problem related to the 4K issue or is my drive half-dead??

Pls advice.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:36:36 PM by nowbie »

grixx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2010, 04:11:17 AM »

Hi nowbie

This is probably not related to the 4k issue. I have experienced the same with one of my two drives and found that I have simply missed to connect the drive tight enough into his plug.
I suggest to open the front once more and check whether the drives are really fully inserted.

Regards,
grixx

samendolaro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2010, 06:42:47 PM »

OMG.. really...  I just purchased tewo of these as well.. Now I hope I can catch UPS and refuse them before they are left on my doorstep..   There hasn't been any activity from D-link on this subject for the past 6 monhs so I guess there is no hope.  Oddly the advertisement for the WD20EARS shows they are perfect for "Externnal" drives..  

I really can't fault WD on this one.  They manufacturer drives for PC's and although it would be in their best interest to help NAS manufacturers support their new technology they are not willing to dedicate their finincial resources to help others make money from it.  Especially since WD makes their own NAS devices .  Why help a competitor solve their problems.

D-Link seems to be taking the exact same stand, "If you don't help us we won't support it"

Well 4k drives are here to stay .. make them work or be left behind by those who do...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 05:03:40 AM by samendolaro »

samendolaro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2010, 04:31:54 AM »

After visiting the WD site  and looking at the WD20EARS FAQ they extensively speak about compatibility issues specificially with Linux and what is needed to fix them. Aparently the MAC annd Windows OS's are fine .

" distributions based on Linux 2.6.34, the latest stable version of Linux, will provide the most thorough support. Advanced Format parameters are available in the sysfs file system from this kernel version onwards. Kernel versions older than 2.6.31 will not specifically detect Advanced Format Drives, but with proper alignment the system performance will be maintained. "

Is it possible to actually update the Linux kernal ?  The last reference I saw was that the 323 was now using 2.6.12 (Updated from 2.6.6) so it is possible to upgrade, I just don't know what is llimiting them. So until they decide to implement 2.6.31 or later we are all SOL...

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5655&p_created=1278970702&p_sid=MTRfcxdk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTkxLDE5MSZwX3Byb2RzPTIyNywyOTQmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PTIuMjk0JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

So I don't know what else you want WD to do..  This seems to be in D-Links court since they are implementating Linux in the 323 and WD has made it clear that support comes from the lates versions only.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:49:26 AM by samendolaro »

wilburyan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2010, 09:10:51 AM »

If you have funplug and manually partition the disk (instead of using the DNS-323 stuff through the web interface) then you can effectively allign the drive so it can be used without a performance hit in a Single drive scenario. 

Raid is a little more complicated.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »

There's been a lot of posts about this on here and specifically how to do it. External drives don't necessarily mean drives used in a NAS by the way. You'll find drives that are actually designed for use in RAID are enterprise drives and usually are more expensive.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

samendolaro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2010, 11:05:40 AM »

Yea I was looking at a Raid configuration and although external drives are not only NAS they do include NAS, but it is neither here nor there at this point..

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »

Well the hard drive manufacturers will tell you that their desktop drives aren't designed for use, well, outside of a desktop. However, most people, including me, use desktop drives in their NAS even though this is the case.

doninoz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2010, 06:57:22 AM »

There may be a lot of people out there who are suffering unnecessarily because they are using drives that are not compatible with NAS raid devices.

This is because dealers selling the NAS units know nothing about the way NAS systems operate.

My company has been doing some research on this matter for a couple of months and tested a whole range of NAS units. They ALL suffer with the same problem! They do not tolerate new technology that effectively fools “platters” in a disk that there is more space on it than it really has.

For instance, Western Digital is a good example with its Advanced Technology Format.

Advanced Format technology enables hard drive companies to read and write more data onto the same available space on the hard drive.

Advanced Format technology is being adopted by WD and other drive manufacturers to increase media format efficiency, thus enabling larger drive capacities…basically any drive that has migrated to 4K sectors should be avoided.

These typically “desktop” drives are really only made for Windows applications and associated formatting. They are not tolerated in UNIX/Linux based raid systems. In fact, as an aside issue, they will cause alignment problems for most users of any operating system less than Windows 7 (although some people might argue with me on that issue)…Microsoft has at least conceded that it will be an issue for XP.

You might get them formatted but find that down the track they will degrade to the extent that you can’t find a file, you can’t delete a file and find that copying copious amounts onto the system becomes impossible.

The best thing to do is to make sure that you research the types of drives before you buy a NAS device otherwise you might end up with drives that don’t work in the long run.

Here is a list of Western Digital that I know have this technology and should be avoided …

WD Caviar Green Desktop Hard Drives
640 GB WD6400AARS
800 GB WD8000AARS
1 TB WD10EARS
1.5 TB WD15EARS
2 TB WD20EARS

WD Scorpio Blue Mobile Hard Drives
750 GB WD7500KPVT
1 TB WD10TPVT

If you already have one of the above drives (typically ‘EARS’ series) you might try the following but make sure that your files are backed up.

Install a 2.54MM type jumper on pins 7 & 8 before installing the drive into a NAS system.

This puts the drive into compatibility mode.

This should improve performance in a NAS system since the partition starting on sector 63 is then fooled into using a sector (64) aligned on the 4k boundaries.

WARNING ! Installing a jumper on a drive that already contains data will likely result in data loss so back up your files first.

I have succeeded in doing this and have had file integrity for a couple of months. But as a professional system integrator and engineer, I will not recommend this to any of my clients.

tamasksz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2010, 06:20:29 AM »

I have WD10EARS and works perfectly...  :)

rhysee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »

I note the D-Link hard drive compatibilty for DNS323 shows the 2TB  WD20EADS  are ok ..

Has anyone used these  WD20EADS drives fine ?

aar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2010, 05:16:26 AM »

I also was wondering this.

D-Link does say the EADS are supported - http://www.dlink.com/support/faq/?prod_id=2399

But then go on to say gotcha - http://www.dlink.com/support/faq/?prod_id=3526 - but I assume this is the EARS model.

From what I have read, I am guessing only in JBOD or RAID1. I currently run & wanted RAID0.

This review has them running OK in RAID1 mirrored

http://www.shaolintiger.com/2010/11/09/network-attached-storage-nas-2-bay-storage-enclosure-d-link-dns-323-4tb/

/bows
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:33:00 AM by aar »

aar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2010, 06:12:12 PM »

Too add a few more comments:

I have been all over the WD site, but can't get any clear confirmation that EADS drives are 512 byte per sector.

I currently run Samsung spinpoints & they have been great.

This confirms the F3 are 512 bytes

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productmodel.do?group=&type=94&subtype=98&model_cd=513&ppmi=1219

The F4 are 4k

Think I will just get some F3's as the comment here says they work

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_review.phtml?id=10&bid=7&id2=129&sid=55883

malouin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2010, 06:58:06 AM »

I have 2 WDears 1TB each in a mirored set , I get home today and they are both empty 900GB of data lost including a lot of pictures I mean 3 years worth of pictures. I guess WD with this box is kind od a NO NO , now I can't even restore the delete drives...I do not recommand this product the WD or DLINK 323

Michel

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2010, 12:39:49 PM »

You may be able to recover data by attaching a drive to your computer and using a Windows Linux filesystem driver (assuming you are running Windows). Google ext2fsd.

You might try the scandisk facility in the web interface, and/or running manufactures diagnostics on the drives separately. The behaviour you describe is not typical of the NAS.

Always have a backup of your data, and don't use unsupported drives...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:44:10 PM by jamieburchell »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11