• April 19, 2024, 04:16:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DLNA limitations?  (Read 2628 times)

kpisacic73

• Level 1 Member
DLNA limitations?
« on: August 31, 2019, 12:31:51 AM »

Hello,

Are there any known and documented limitations in this routers's DLNA implementation? Like, disk size (i remember reading somewhere 500GB i supported), number of files, number of sub directories, etc.

Problem i have is that 1TB disk with number of files and directories get scanned, and some files become available to TV DLNA client, however many more are missing. Seems like scan stops but does not seem on same file. It stops on videos, and does not even scan photos or music.

Thank for any additional infornation, or potential workaround you can share.

Br,k.

me_iauras

• Level 2 Member
Re: DLNA limitations?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 02:25:34 PM »

Hello ,
At least some of the issues you're encountering I'm sure it's related to the lazy codding in the way the parsing of media files is done ; what I mean is that if a file contains more than one <.> (dot/point) character in it's title/filename then everything afterwards is considered to be it's extension/file type therefor many files are not recognized as media files .
ex: if a movie filename is movie.example.mkv it will not be parsed as an .mkv file but as an .example.mkv type of file which is not recognized as a valid video file so it will not be listed in the DLNA library (even though the router is perfectly capable to stream it) ; if you will only change the filename from movie.example.mkv to movieexample.mkv or even movie-example.mkv (remove/replace all but the last dot characters before the extension denominator) I'll bet you that it will appear in your library . I used to have the same issue on my old NAS with Twonky Media Server and my workaround was to have a script create symlink with the modified filename pointing to the original file ( I couldn't modify the original file's name since it was being actively shared/seeded ; the script also verified the existence of the original file so after it was deleted the symlink was removed also  but I'm not sure if this would work on windows since shortcuts are not the same as Linux symlinks)
I've also done tests on a 1 TB drive ( old laptop HDD in a USB 3 enclosure ) and I've hadn't had other issues but I do use my NAS for media server purposes so I've only put just over 100 media files on it (Photo+music .mp3 + movies) so I'm not sure if there is a hard limit to the number of files listed in the library  .
If possible I would like this bug to be sent to the devs to be fixed in the next firmware release (it shouldn't be hard to change the parsing of filenames to recognize them corectlly)
Also @kpisacic73 just as a curiosity ; what speed are you getting when writing/reading to the USB HDD (I'm only getting ~7MB/s write /  27 MB/s read but I think it's because the router is not providing enough current/Amps since the same USB HDD  can do ~ 120-130 MB/s read/write on my NAS/laptop) ?
Hope it solves at least some of your problems.

L.E.
Disregard what I've said about the extensions thing ; it seems that indeed it parses the filenames corectlly it just takes some time (maybe when I've changed the filename I somehow forced the miniDLNA server to index that particular file first and that's how I got tricked into thinking what I thought )
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 01:37:25 AM by me_iauras »

kpisacic73

• Level 1 Member
[SOLVED] Re: DLNA limitations?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 10:33:32 AM »

Hi,

I have managed to workaround the problem. When scanning stops, it shows videos alphabetically up to the point it found issues with next video. If i removed that video, and repeat the process several times, i ended up with full populated DLNA catalogue.

I can say, evendo scanning obviously broke on some video, log in .dlnamini folder on the device did not show any errors.

br,k.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: [SOLVED] Re: DLNA limitations?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 08:21:44 AM »

Sounds like the problem maybe bad coded video files?

Hi,

I have managed to workaround the problem. When scanning stops, it shows videos alphabetically up to the point it found issues with next video. If i removed that video, and repeat the process several times, i ended up with full populated DLNA catalogue.

I can say, evendo scanning obviously broke on some video, log in .dlnamini folder on the device did not show any errors.

br,k.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.