• April 27, 2024, 10:41:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: PVID & Admin interface  (Read 6098 times)

kpk1

• Level 1 Member
PVID & Admin interface
« on: October 26, 2020, 01:20:43 PM »

I have DGS-1210 switches as nodes in my network.
The central node however is a DGS-3120.
Recently I have moved to a VLAN based network.
In DGS-1210 I was used with the interface and terms. When I moved to the central node of the network it seems that DGS-3120 work a bit different and some things I was used to them in the DGS-1210 doesn't look in their place in the DGS-3120.
Unfortunately I use only the Web UI, not the CLI.
I've defined the VLANs and tested the traffic in the network. The data routes as it should.

Now the problems encountered:
First:
I was working with VLANs and therefore the PVID table (ingress) was next to the VLAN (egress) page on the old switches.
In the DGS-3120 it seems there is no PVID manual configuration web page. Even so the switch has an automatic mechanism to assign PVIDs to ports but I want to be in control and I can't find where I am able to configure those PVIDs.

Second:
Also on the old switches (DGS-1210) In the Interface page I was able to add as many administration IP interfaces as I wanted, especially I've added a management VLAN only and for the transition time an IP interface from the data VLAN.
In the DGS-3120 the Add button is grayed out and unable to use the option even that I have defined all the VLANs needed like on the older switches.
How can I determine what's wrong and how could I enable more IP interfaces for administration.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 01:28:29 PM by kpk1 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: PVID & Admin interface
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 08:26:00 PM »

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this.
Link> Tech Support Contact Information
We find that chat/phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

kpk1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 10:58:30 PM »

Our regional support it's only commercial and they are unable to provide that kind of support.
Thanks anyway.

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 11:41:22 AM »

If you don't know the theory behind that network stuff, you won't learn it from D-Link's documentation  >:(
But after all it's better than nothing:
(Note: These FTP-Links only work with web browsers that (still) support FTP, e.g. Firefox or Opera, but not Chrome or Edge. Or you can use some FTP client software like Filezilla to download these PDF files.)

Although I've no experience in using this switch model, I would guess that the chapter "802.1v Protocol VLAN" in "Switch Web UI Reference Guide" or chapter 82 - "Protocol VLAN Command List" in "CLI Reference Guide" is what you need to define PVIDs:

Using the GUI, navigate to L2 Features > VLAN > 802.1v protocol VLAN > 802.1v Protocol Group Settings:
  • Set the "Group ID" to "1" and the "Group Name" to "default" (you'll only need a single group definition).
  • Select "Protocol" = "Ethernet II".
  • "Protocol Value" should be "any", but I don't know if value "any" is expressed by leaving the field blank or entering FFFF. You have to figure it out by trial and error.
  • Click "Add".
Next go to L2 Features > VLAN > 802.1v protocol VLAN > 802.1v Protocol VLAN Settings:
  • Always select your single "Group ID" = 1 (meaning "any untagged ingress Ethernet II frame").
  • For "VID" select a PVID value you want to assign to some port (maybe that VLAN must have been created in advance).
  • Leave 802.1p Priority as is (None).
  • For "Port List" specify the port, port list or port range you want to assign the PVID.
  • Click "Add".
  • Repeat these steps for any other PVID you want to assign to other ports.
Regarding your second problem information can be found in chapter "Interface Settings" in "Switch Web UI Reference Guide" or in chapters 12-13 through 12-18 in "CLI Reference Guide". As the CLI Guide says "Only Administrator, Operator and Power-User level users can issue this command.", maybe your user's rights are insufficient to click the "Add" button in GUI? Further more, a VLAN for a new interface can only be specified by name not by number. Hence the grey Add button may be caused by VLAN definitions, where no VLAN has been given a name?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 12:54:24 PM by PacketTracer »

kpk1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 02:06:52 PM »

I did it today and I'll write here what I found:
The PVID table as I knew it is under : L2 Features > VLAN > GVRP > GVRP Port Settings
Before I disabled the Auto PVID feature.
In this table you do not only fix the GVRP but the PVID too and other things.
From the user manual , about PVID:
"This field is used to manually assign a PVID to a VLAN. The Switch's default is to assign all ports to the default VLAN with a VID of 1.The PVID is used by the port to tag outgoing, untagged packets, and to make filtering decisions about incoming packets. If the port is specified to accept only tagged frames - as tagging, and an untagged packet is forwarded to the port for transmission, the port will add an 802.1Q tag using the PVID to write the VID in the tag. When the packet arrives at its destination, the receiving device will use the PVID to make VLAN forwarding decisions. If the port receives a packet, and Ingress filtering is Enabled, the port will compare the VID of the incoming packet to its PVID. If the two are unequal, the port will drop the packet. If the two are equal, the port will receive the packet."
Still I find DLink's way of working with VLANS a bit off the standard but it works at least.
The command line experience is at least friendly and works great.

For the second problem I found that the SI model that I have runs a "standard" firmware and I cannot use two IP interfaces for management. The "enhanced" firmware is available on the OI model which is about 400 EUR more expensive. The future alone is available in chipper models but in this case it's that expensive. If I would knew I would looked elsewhere. I never knew there are two versions of firmware.

As a final conclusion I think DLink takes terms and notions from other vendors like Cisco and implements these thing from a bit different to completely different. It's annoying to find that an option named like in Cisco it does something else.

kpk1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 02:08:21 PM »

@PacketTracer thank you very much for your time. I appreciate that.

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »

When studying the documentation I had found that GVRP stuff either and that "PVID" was mentioned there literally. But since the explanatory text you quoted looked more misleading than helpful ("This field is used to manually assign a PVID to a VLAN" -- hm: I would assign a PVID to a port, not a VLAN - or this one: "The PVID is used by the port to tag outgoing, untagged packets" aha, well I always thought it's the other way round and PVID assigns a VLAN to incoming untagged traffic) and GVRP is a protocol used to dynamically deploy VLAN information instead of configuring VLANs manually I didn't pay further attention on this topic.

But okay - leaving all that GRVP stuff aside and just use the opportunity to define the PVID buried here, this is obviously the most direct way to alter PVID settings. I guess my method using 802.1v protocol based VLAN assignment (which is only applied to untagged ingress frames) would work either and if used would override the PVID settings configured within the GRVP configuration item.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 05:08:59 PM by PacketTracer »