• April 19, 2024, 01:08:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: D-Link 4500 and Wii  (Read 13470 times)

N2rock

• Level 2 Member
D-Link 4500 and Wii
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:42:43 AM »

Help me get the most out of my new router please

Just bought the D-Link 4500 on Sunday. I have assigned a static IP address to my Wii, and have DMZ'd that IP address and reserved it in the router.

I ran speedtest.net from my Wii with my old router (Linksys WRT54G) and with the new D-Link router. And results were the same.

Is there anything else I should change in the D-Link to optimize the Wii's connection?

FWIW- I am using 12mbps DSL (Windstream ISP) for my connection.

Do I need to port forward my modem (Speedstream 4200)?

Also to note- I have tried hooking up the Wii both wireless and wired (ethernet adaptor from Wii to router). Results are the same both ways.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:46:44 AM by N2rock »

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
  • Let me lend you a hand & solutions shall follow.
Re: D-Link 4500 and Wii
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »

If you are getting decent speeds, than theres not much you can do to increase the performance. You said your Isp gives you 12mbps down, well what is the speed you are getting when you use speedtest? if it is around 6-8 that is decent because your Isp could never provide you with a stable 12mbps at all times. Speed vary within the area you live at. I know this is probably what you didn't want to hear.

--
Chris
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

N2rock

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »

Yeah, you're right- its not what I want to hear. I mean, c'mon. You're telling me the router I just paid $179+ for is no better than the $35 router I had before? I thought I was buying a "gaming router", not just a pretty box.  ;)

My d/l speedtest from the Wii were around 3mbps- I assume that is probably the Wii's limitations, and didn't expect that to be different.

But I was hoping that the ping and u/l speeds would improve. Tested from the Wii I got 44ms ping, and 350kbps up, using both routers.

By comparison, my desktop computer (thru the 4500) is running 12mbps down, 3mbps up, and 12ms ping.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:13:47 PM »

I would not recommend using the DMZ. I would review the Gaming and Gamefuel sticky for Gamefuel setup and recommended wireless settings. You'll have to find the recommended port numbers for Wii as I don't have one of those. However you should be able to apply the Wii ports to what is listed for the XBL. Gamefuel is to help prioritize gaming while other devices are connected and does help to keep stable the connection as much as possible. There will be other possible issue seen however using Gamefuel should help you keep a good connection going while gaming. Speed is what your ISP is providing and if your supposed to get 12Mb down and your averaging a little less then thats the ISP, in the lines and others in your area taking up the pool of broadband speed so you will see up and down speeds with or with out using a router. There isn't anything the router can do to keep the speeds up. This is the nature of the beast.

Not everyone can use a wired connection to devices however, it's always preferred and recommended to use a wired connection over using wireless as any wireless does have some limitations and may not be as stable as a wired connection. Review the Gaming and Gamefuel sticky for what we've found that seems to work well for wireless gaming.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:16:47 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

N2rock

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 01:24:18 PM »

I would not recommend using the DMZ. I would review the Gaming and Gamefuel sticky for Gamefuel setup and recommended wireless settings. You'll have to find the recommended port numbers for Wii as I don't have one of those. However you should be able to apply the Wii ports to what is listed for the XBL. Gamefuel is to help prioritize gaming while other devices are connected and does help to keep stable the connection as much as possible.

Thanks for the reply

I already have all the port numbers for the Wii. I was just under the impression that DMZ was just as good. But I'm sure you know more than I ever will. So I'll follow your lead on this. Just out of curiosity, why do you not recommend DMZ?

There will be other possible issue seen however using Gamefuel should help you keep a good connection going while gaming. Speed is what your ISP is providing and if your supposed to get 12Mb down and your averaging a little less then thats the ISP, in the lines and others in your area taking up the pool of broadband speed so you will see up and down speeds with or with out using a router. There isn't anything the router can do to keep the speeds up. This is the nature of the beast.

I'm on DSL. I was under the impression that others in the neighborhood using up the broadband pool was only an issue with cable. Not an issue with DSL... Am I mistaken?

Not everyone can use a wired connection to devices however, it's always preferred and recommended to use a wired connection over using wireless as any wireless does have some limitations and may not be as stable as a wired connection. Review the Gaming and Gamefuel sticky for what we've found that seems to work well for wireless gaming.

I'll stick to my wired setup then. And will follow the steps to opening up the ports for the Wii as you suggested.

Thanks again.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:29:37 PM »

Thanks for the reply

I already have all the port numbers for the Wii. I was just under the impression that DMZ was just as good. But I'm sure you know more than I ever will. So I'll follow your lead on this. Just out of curiosity, why do you not recommend DMZ?
Using the DMZ just opens up any device to the front lines of the internet and you loose the benefit of using the routers features and security.

I'm on DSL. I was under the impression that others in the neighborhood using up the broadband pool was only an issue with cable. Not an issue with DSL... Am I mistaken?
You not mistaken and knowing that you are on DSL presents a possible issue as I have experienced with several DSL modems as they include a built in router. You need to call up your ISP and verify this and if so, have them bridge and put the DSL modem/router into transparent mode. Having 2 routers on the same network introduces NAT or translation issues and sometimes impact connections to gaming servers. Once this is done then the 4500 and fully do it's job and provide you with better routing abilities. This works after the DSL modem is bridged.

I'll stick to my wired setup then. And will follow the steps to opening up the ports for the Wii as you suggested.

Thanks again.

Let us know how this goes. I'm on my way to work however will keep tabs later on.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

N2rock

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »

You not mistaken and knowing that you are on DSL presents a possible issue as I have experienced with several DSL modems as they include a built in router. You need to call up your ISP and verify this and if so, have them bridge and put the DSL modem/router into transparent mode. Having 2 routers on the same network introduces NAT or translation issues and sometimes impact connections to gaming servers. Once this is done then the 4500 and fully do it's job and provide you with better routing abilities. This works after the DSL modem is bridged.

Wow- thanks for the tip. I just looked into my modem (Speedstream 4200) and discovered that you are correct. My ISP's website (in the FAQ's) tells how to put it in bridge mode. I'll try that tonight.

Also- their FAQ's tell how to port forward PS3 in the modem, but says nothing about port forwarding Wii... Do I need to port forward the Wii in the modem? Or will putting it in bridge mode just remove the modem from the equation completely?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:09:11 PM »

Once the DSL modem is bridge, use the 4500 to do all the port forwarding for the Wii. I.e., Gamefuel. You'll just have to input the port numbers that Wii uses or you could try using what I've posted as the port coverage is global instead of having one specific port number. You can try either way. Let us know.

Wow- thanks for the tip. I just looked into my modem (Speedstream 4200) and discovered that you are correct. My ISP's website (in the FAQ's) tells how to put it in bridge mode. I'll try that tonight.

Also- their FAQ's tell how to port forward PS3 in the modem, but says nothing about port forwarding Wii... Do I need to port forward the Wii in the modem? Or will putting it in bridge mode just remove the modem from the equation completely?

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
  • Let me lend you a hand & solutions shall follow.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 10:17:18 PM »

Yeah, you're right- its not what I want to hear. I mean, c'mon. You're telling me the router I just paid $179+ for is no better than the $35 router I had before? I thought I was buying a "gaming router", not just a pretty box.  ;)

My d/l speedtest from the Wii were around 3mbps- I assume that is probably the Wii's limitations, and didn't expect that to be different.

But I was hoping that the ping and u/l speeds would improve. Tested from the Wii I got 44ms ping, and 350kbps up, using both routers.

By comparison, my desktop computer (thru the 4500) is running 12mbps down, 3mbps up, and 12ms ping.

Please keep in mind that it does not matter what router you have if your Isp sucks you router will suck also. I am glad Furrynutz is able to help you and direct you the right way. If you need help Port forwarding just ask we will be here to help you.

--
Chris
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

N2rock

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »

FurryNutz- you are DA MAN! I had posted my dilemma on 8 different forums (router forums, DSL forums, gaming forums, etc). And every answer was always "nothing you can do about it". You are the only one that connected the dots of the DSL-modem/router issue.

Got the modem/router bridged. Followed your instructions in the sticky (but using TCP and UDP numbers for the Wii of course). And all I can say is WOW. The Wii is playing online so much better! In 8 months of online play, I was never chosen as the host. I played 3 games last night and was picked as host for all of them. But even non-host, the online play was a night & day difference

Let me tell you about getting it done- I'm sure you'll appreciate this little story.

So after work I go home and call my ISP to get the modem's router bridged. So I get tech support on the phone and tell them what I want to do. He says "you must have a different modem than we supplied, because the Speedstream 4200 does not have a router". I tell them that yes it does have a router in it. He doesn't believe me, tells me to physically pick up the router and tell him what the sticker on the bottom says. It says "Speedstream 4200 and the part number". He then says "Yeah, that is the right part number. But that modem does not have a router". I tell him that it most certainly does. He puts me on hold.

He comes back a bit later and says "OK, it does have a router. But I told my boss what you needed to do, and he said to tell you 'no, the modem's router needs to be in control, not your home router'". I then opened up this thread and read to him exactly what you had written. He put me on hold again. He comes back and says "Look, my boss has 20 years of home networking experience and says that he has never in his life heard of the modem's router causing any sort of issues. And you need to just leave it alone." I told him that it was an issue with gaming, and that my D-Link was far superior to the modem's router, and the D-Link needed to be in control, not the modem's router". He puts me on hold again

He comes back and says "OK, here is what you need to do to bridge it. But I have to warn you- if you do this, you are on your own. If you have any problems, don't bother calling us for support because we won't be able to help you. If you have any problems, you'll have to call D-Link for support, The minute you bridge this modem, its not our problem any more. Are you sure you want to do it?". I tell him "yes". He says "OK- you have the info. I'm going to end this call now. You're on your own".

LOL- wow! just wow!

N2rock

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 07:00:15 AM »

BTW- in case you want to add Wii info to your sticky. The numbers for the Wii are

TCP: Allow traffic to all destinations on ports: 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920, 80, and 443

UDP: allow traffic to all ports: 1-65535

that info is from Nintendo: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineFirewall.jsp

N2rock

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »

another question

Since my D-Link is now in PPPOE, I started reading up on that. I found this article: http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

in the article it states "You can uninstall WINPOET, and or whatever software other PPPOE software they dished you. If you want you can leave it installed; (The software PPPOE appears as another Dialup connection, in the Browser), just make sure that you disabled it so it should not start automatically."

I have zero idea of what he is talking about in the browser. Is this something I need to fix?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »

Ya you should uninstall it. The 4500 will handle all the interactions between the DSL modem and ISP services. Any other SW is not needed. I never install ISP SW. All networking should be hardware based with out to much SW in the mix. Unless you need diagnostics and things like that.

Trikein

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 09:35:09 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what multiplayer games on the Wii are you hosting? SSBB?

And odd..they tell you to open all the UDP ports? You do know that no one device on your network will be able to use them now right? Their all now forward to the Wii. You may want to mention that in the sticky or else people will be wondering why all of their other systems stopped working after installing the Wii. Heh

N2rock

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 07:06:04 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what multiplayer games on the Wii are you hosting? SSBB?

And odd..they tell you to open all the UDP ports? You do know that no one device on your network will be able to use them now right? Their all now forward to the Wii. You may want to mention that in the sticky or else people will be wondering why all of their other systems stopped working after installing the Wii. Heh

Multiplayer games- I only play 1, and that is Call Of Duty. But all Wii games work the same- there is not a central host, every game the "host" is one of the players- whoever has the best connection for everyone is automatically assigned host in public games. That's why Wii does not charge for online play... In private games, whoever creates the private game is the host.

As far as opening all the UDP ports. I'm no expert, but what you said is wrong. On my home network I have 4 laptops, 2 desktops, 2 Xbox 360's, and 1 Wii. Everything is working perfectly- nothing has stopped working
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:07:38 AM by N2rock »
Pages: [1] 2