• April 19, 2024, 03:32:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: dwl-3200ap dhcp problem  (Read 20712 times)

zolan

• Level 1 Member
dwl-3200ap dhcp problem
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:41:18 AM »

we are use a few dwl-3200ap there al working fine using it's internal dhcp to provide clients with an ip
but i want to set it up so the clients would receive a ip from the corporate dhcp server
my setup was (but it's not working do not now why) all ap's have different static ip's /channels with wep/ mac filter enabled
clients have dynamic ip's clients connect to the ap's with the message "receiving ip" but don't get one from the coroporate dhcp, using internal dhcp from the ap's works fine anyone an idea why ?
coroprate dhcp works fine with clients connected to cable but not trough the dlinks ap's
clients connected to other ap's (different brand) can connect trough dhcp but not the departments using the 3200ap

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: dwl-3200ap dhcp problem
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:42:47 AM »

I would start by taking packet captures to ensure the DHCP requests are making it past the AP and to see if the DHCP offers are headed out to the AP.

Which firmware and hardware versions?
Did you disable their internal DHCP servers?
non progredi est regredi

zolan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:10:13 AM »

the firmware version is 2,40
hardware i don't know

the internal dhcp where disabled, but it also weird if the ap aren't used for some time I 'm unable to ping it / access web interface from an wired pc.
i have changed wires on the switch / patch panel but without success
does the ap's disable itself after a period ?

zolan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:14:02 AM »

ps bougt ap have static ip with auto channel enabled
is it beter to assign a channel ?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 08:29:56 AM »

Not unless you environment is particularly bad, or you know which channel is best in your environment.

It should not be falling off, I would re-flash the firmware, factory reset, and reconfigure it and then see if it still does that.  If so put it in a different environment and see if it still does the dropping off routine there.
non progredi est regredi

zolan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 08:11:01 AM »

if the flash failes does it void the warranty?
Does the 3200ap has a backup firmware / bios in case of failing ?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »

As long as you are applying D-Link code, we will stand behind a failed flash.

never flash over wireless

Why this level of concern over a failed flash, is this a fear of something that may happen or are we trying to recover something that did happen?
non progredi est regredi

Air-Dude

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 02:42:13 PM »

Hi there..

We have 4 of the DWL-3200AP, h/w ver: B1, f/w ver 2.30(updated to 2.50) configured in the WPA2-Enterprise mode with MSFT Server 2003 IAS as the RADIUS server.

We're having this problem where the WAPs only hand out an IP address after being freshly(like within the last 2 hours or so) rebooted.

After about 2 hours, the wireless clients can connect to the WAP, but do not pull an IP address and end up with a self-assigned autoconfiguration(169.254.xxx.xxx) IP address instead.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks!
Air-dude

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 03:22:11 PM »

Do those PCs still have network access if you use statics?

Where is the DHCP being served from?

What amount of DHCP pool exhaustion exists?

Do you experience issues without RADIUS in use?

Do all APs fail at the same time or after the same period of time?

Is the period of time before failure consistent even on a single unit, and to what deviation?
non progredi est regredi

Air-Dude

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 09:20:51 AM »

Do those PCs still have network access if you use statics?
Yes they do work if I use a static address.

Where is the DHCP being served from?
Windows Server 2003 DHCP service.

What amount of DHCP pool exhaustion exists?
The pool is 45% used currently.. so not much.

Do you experience issues without RADIUS in use?
I'll have to try this.

Do all APs fail at the same time or after the same period of time?
Yes, the problem exists on all 4 WAPs.

Is the period of time before failure consistent even on a single unit, and to what deviation?
I haven't tested rigorously enough to even tell exactly how long it takes to fail - but it is within 4 hours or so.

Thanks!

gasx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 02:57:28 AM »

Almost the same problem here.

Got 3 groups of 5 D-link 3200ap each, on “WDS with AP” with WPA authentication
(3 x 5 = 15 APs)
Each group is on a different channel (1st is on ch4, 2nd on ch8 and the other on ch12)

DHCP is coming from a windows 2003 server and internet from a
D-link DSL-524T router.

The only DHCP is win 2003 server with DHCP pool exhaustion 25 %.

The problem is that almost always (8 to 10 times), the clients receive an invalid IP (169.254.xxx.xxx) and “limited network connection”

Clients take about 1-2 minutes to receive IP (is it too much??) and if the time is more, they receive an invalid IP (169.254.xxx.xxx) and “limited network connection”

but, if I disconnect the UTP cable from any DWL-3200 and connect it directly to my laptop the IP is received immediately (2-4 seconds)

If the client connects successfully (with DHCP) then, the network is working fine and fast.

If, I connect the clients using static IP everything is working fine and fast.

I have also try to disable win 2003 DHCP server and enable the router’s internal DHCP and this was much worse!

Finally, i have try to connect only one DWL-3200 (all the others were out of power)
Directly to the win 2003 DHCP server and clients receive IP in about 6-20 seconds.

f/w version is 2.40
DWL-3200AP
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:59:31 AM by gasx »

gasx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 08:08:36 AM »

anyone???

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 08:52:51 AM »

Well you jumped in on a thread that it is unclear how much resemblance you actually show to either of it's previous cases.

The first case appears to have gone away after a firmware upgrade to current firmware (judging by the lack of posts), and had other problems besides.

There were unresolved questions like time to failure (which there was one, we just don't know the value) and RADIUS (potentially) making a difference in the second case.

In yours the failure is immediate and there is no mention of RADIUS or the AP falling off the network after a period of time.  And most of all, your clients (eventually) DO pull DHCP, unlike the previous cases.

I personally don't believe in any problem that happens "Almost Always", that "Almost Always" means that primary troubleshooting and inspection was done poorly and that a definitive problem was not obtained.  Without that missing link there is little I could ever call a product problem.

It is true there are occasionally problems and correlating factors beyond the ken of a user to detect, but that is why I am using the words "Almost Always", there is no reason to believe that's the case here.

If every DWL-3200AP on the planet took 2 minutes for clients to pull DHCP I would know it, there is another factor for you to find in your config or on your network.

Also, update your firmware.
non progredi est regredi

gasx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:16:01 AM »

Well you jumped in on a thread that it is unclear how much resemblance you actually show to either of it's previous cases.

The first case appears to have gone away after a firmware upgrade to current firmware (judging by the lack of posts), and had other problems besides.

There were unresolved questions like time to failure (which there was one, we just don't know the value) and RADIUS (potentially) making a difference in the second case.

In yours the failure is immediate and there is no mention of RADIUS or the AP falling off the network after a period of time.  And most of all, your clients (eventually) DO pull DHCP, unlike the previous cases.

I personally don't believe in any problem that happens "Almost Always", that "Almost Always" means that primary troubleshooting and inspection was done poorly and that a definitive problem was not obtained.  Without that missing link there is little I could ever call a product problem.

It is true there are occasionally problems and correlating factors beyond the ken of a user to detect, but that is why I am using the words "Almost Always", there is no reason to believe that's the case here.

If every DWL-3200AP on the planet took 2 minutes for clients to pull DHCP I would know it, there is another factor for you to find in your config or on your network.

Also, update your firmware.

ookk!
Today, I replace all the dwl-3200 with another brand Access Points and everything is working fine.

I don’t know what is happening with dwl-3200 but I have also notice a lot of broadcasting packets to flood the network (switch LED flashing too fast like crazy)

When I put the new Access points on, the flood stops and clients get IP in 4-6 sec.

Any ideas?

The new AP seems to solve the problem, but I really like dwl-3200 and im working with these devices many years

P.S. i have also try Firmware upgrade

gabetate

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 02:22:16 AM »

What wireless access points did you replace the DWL-3200ap's with. I bought 3 and they are worthless paperwaits. D-Links customer support does not exist so I would rather pay more money for something that works.