• April 28, 2024, 07:26:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Bugs left, 625 Vs. DGL-4300, and EOL?  (Read 2817 times)

Yashu

• Level 1 Member
Bugs left, 625 Vs. DGL-4300, and EOL?
« on: September 12, 2009, 04:03:04 AM »

It was always buggy on my DGL-4300 until recently when the last firmware was released. I actually bought the DIR-625 because the DGL-4300 had to be reset about once a week, and it was only at about half the capacity I was eventually going to get to.

I was told that the 625 was, basically, an updated DGL-4300. Their specs almost matched as far as what it could do internally. Obviously this is an N router with 10/100 switch and the DGL-4300 had a gigabit switch, but was only a G router.

I see wireless as secondary to my network, so the N support is not even being used as I have no N clients, as well, I have very stable 100baseT NICs so the gigabit switch was not really a big deal.

All said, the routers, for me, would be the same. I wanted stability, QoS, lots and lots of connections support, as Lynksys has wonderful linux routers, but all only can do 4096 connections. (yes, the lynksys routers, even the "good" GL, pre rev. 5, can only do 4096, and I maxed them out always)

The D-links have been the most cost effective routers I have ever used, but I am not sure what is "better": the 625 or the 4300. I read that the DGL-4300 will never have a new firmware written for it. This is sad, because it actually works well now, and if no more development, it should be more clear here, and firmware source should be released.

The 625, I was wondering, does it have issues with dynamic fragmentation, something that was actually quite useful once they finally got it working on the 4300? What are the major bugs left to squash? I have a rev. C router.

I am using it over the 4300 because it seemed to bench better, and it was more stable, but most of all, I don't want a dead product if it still had major bugs out (which it did). I hope the 625's life is long and useful, but again, I am not sure what router is better, once the advantages of either are removed? Most of the big bugs on the gaming router don't affect me, but they may on the 625, I don't know, it's why I ask. What is the EOL for this guy?

Also, what antenna is the "main" one? Is there a difference, or do both have the same controllers?