The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DIR-850L

OpenDNS DNS Servers not working with 845L Router

(1/4) > >>

Pbryanw:
Hi,

I'm using a D-Link 845L With the latest 1.01b02 firmware. My PC is set to automatically get a reserved address via DHCP. DNS Relay is switched off and I have entered the Open DNS Servers in Router settings: Setup -> Internet and also in my Windows Network Configuration.

However when I go to OpenDNS's test pages at http://www.opendns.com/support/article/64
all three tests fail. And when I try and run Namebench I get the warning message "Your router or Internet Service Provider appears to be intercepting and redirecting all outgoing DNS requests. This means you cannot benchmark or utilize alternate DNS servers".

I am with Virgin Media here in the UK, and use their modem connected to my 845L. However the modem can also be used as a router and when I connect my PC this way (removing the D-Link) the OpenDNS DNS servers seem to work.

So, I'm not sure whether the problem lies with the D-link or with my ISP - any help appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

FurryNutz:
Link>Welcome!

* What region are you located?
* Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
* Has a Factory Reset been performed?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations

* What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
* What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

--- Quote from: Pbryanw on June 14, 2013, 03:01:35 PM ---Hi,

I'm using a D-Link 845L With the latest 1.01b02 firmware. My PC is set to automatically get a reserved address via DHCP. DNS Relay is switched off and I have entered the Open DNS Servers in Router settings: Setup -> Internet and also in my Windows Network Configuration.

However when I go to OpenDNS's test pages at http://www.opendns.com/support/article/64
all three tests fail. And when I try and run Namebench I get the warning message "Your router or Internet Service Provider appears to be intercepting and redirecting all outgoing DNS requests. This means you cannot benchmark or utilize alternate DNS servers".

I am with Virgin Media here in the UK, and use their modem connected to my 845L. However the modem can also be used as a router and when I connect my PC this way (removing the D-Link) the OpenDNS DNS servers seem to work.

So, I'm not sure whether the problem lies with the D-link or with my ISP - any help appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

--- End quote ---
[/list]

Pbryanw:

--- Quote from: FurryNutz on June 14, 2013, 04:15:30 PM ---
* What region are you located?UK

* Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
Wired via built-in Realtek networking

* Has a Factory Reset been performed?
Yes, DNS Server reverts back to OpenDNS on reset but after I've changed a few settings the problem comes back. However, I'm not sure what setting brings back the problem.

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations

* What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
Cable

* What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
Virgin Superhub v1 in Modem Mode

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your help with this and your welcome. Resetting to factory defaults seems to fix the problem but then after I've reconfigured the router to my liking the problem comes back. Would a change one setting at a time and see if the problem comes back approach be advised?

FurryNutz:
Yes, attempt changing one item at a time and see. Could be a mis-configuration as well.

Pbryanw:
Hi,

I think I've found what was causing the problem. The problem starts when I register the Mydlink Service under Mydlink settings. As I did this every time I reset my router, it's probably why the OpenDNS servers would work for a while then stop working.

I can replicate the problem by removing the router from the mydlink web service (which also resets the router), reload a config (at which point OpenDNS servers start working again) then register with Mydlink. Almost immediately the OpenDNS servers will stop working. Or I can reset to factory defaults and as soon as I register with Mydlink, the OpenDNS servers stop working too.

As I don't use the Mydlink web service I think I'll just not register for the time being, and hope this problem is fixed in the future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version