• April 26, 2024, 10:09:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speed issue  (Read 13767 times)

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
Speed issue
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:26:18 AM »

Judging by 'Google results' a common problem on DNS-323 is poor speed...   my upload speed seems much lower than I would expect.
To eliminate one possible problem updated to f/w 1.1

Second common issues seems to be intermediate router throttling back the throughput ... re-cabled so it is directly connected to ADSL modem port.  Now I appreciate this itself is a 4 port router, but my only access to Internet.
So Connection path is :
PC - Wired Ethernet direct to BT ADSL Router  (100Mb)

Download speed -  10.2 Mbps
Upload speed -  11.2 Mbps
With seems quite slow for a 100Mb  Ethernet connection.
No printer connected.

Is there anything I can do to improve this ?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Speed issue
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 04:15:09 AM »

With no information outlining what you're uploading to/downloading from, there can be no effective analysis of the problem - based on personal experience, I know a DNS-323 running into a 100mbps connection is capable of well over your posted results, so you'll need to look at the other end of the link rather than the DNS-323.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 04:29:08 AM »

OK some more information... I have tested with 2 separate PC's .... both have 10/100Mb auto negotiation ports.

These are cabled to DSL Modem(Router)   a BT Home Hub model.

Ethernet run is about 6m, on quality CAT5

Files are several Gb video files, so not multiple small files.
PC's are certainly capable of better transfer speed .......... can you suggest what I look at ?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:11:12 AM »

Second common issues seems to be intermediate router throttling back the throughput ... re-cabled so it is directly connected to ADSL modem port.  Now I appreciate this itself is a 4 port router, but my only access to Internet.
So Connection path is :
PC - Wired Ethernet direct to BT ADSL Router  (100Mb)

Why are you connecting to the ADSL modem port?

Which model BT Home Hub do you have?

Have you tried using a good quality switch to make the connections rather than the Home Hub?

What are you actually trying to do, pull files from the internet or read them over a local lan?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »

PC's are certainly capable of better transfer speed .......... can you suggest what I look at ?

Have you tested this or are you making an assumption?

A new, out of the box, DNS-323 with freshly formatted drives is capable of delivering read/write performance almost double that required to saturate a 100mbps Ethernet connection (obviously, you'll have to be using gigabit Ethernet to achieve this), and on 100 mbps it will, deliver many times over what you're reporting.

Yes - I am suggesting that you measure the throughput the PCs are capable of, as step one
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »

"Why am I connecting to Modem port"

The Modem Router (BT Home Hub)  provides 4 x Ethernet ports ...  plugging NAS into that so it can be accessed by all PC's on network.

"Have you tested this or are you making an assumption?"

The figures I gave are actual test speeds on a single large video file.

How do I measure throughput PC's are capable of ? .....  These are reasonably HighSpec 64bit W7 PC's

I have 3 PC's and 1 Laptop all of them have 100/10 autoneogtiaon Ethernet cards ... I get simialr figures form all PC's

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:34:04 AM »

First up the modem port is intended for a BT Infinity modem and is not actually part of the ethernet router.  The only way you could expect that to act as a router port is if you have custom firmware on the HomeHub and even then it would be limited by the hardware design.

Have you measured the speed you get when you connect the NAS to the single gigabit ethernet port and the test computer to one of the other ports? (assuming your HomeHub is one of the newer models)

Have you also tried a speed test using a gigabit switch in place of the HomeHub?   Almost all models of the HomeHub have the router section running slower than advertised on the assumption that most people will be using wireless connections rather than wired.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »

You are misunderstanding me ... the back of my modem has 4 'yellow' Ethernet ports for my use .... as well as other ports for Infinity, etc.

I am plugged into a standard 'yellow Ethernet port'

I can plug NAS direct into PC ethernet and test ... I'll do that and report back ............. the throughput I'm getting does not change if I plug into an Ethernet switch  (Dynamode SW800 )  ... which itself is plugged into one of the other 'yellow' ethernet sockets.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 11:48:59 AM »

Sorry for the misunderstanding but the modem port on a HomeHub is the red/orange port which I assumed you were using because you said modem port.

When you say you tested with the switch was that :

NAS -----> Switch ------> Computer     or

NAS ----> HomeHub -----> Switch -----> Computer   or something similar?

My experience with the HomeHub has shown it to be the biggest bottleneck on a wired network.  I setup a network for a friend using an 8 port gigabit switch to link the computers with the HomeHub linked to the switch as well.  Doing it that way increased network throughput and allowed all computers good access to the internet.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »

Hi Memnon,

I wonder if the Unit is going bad? Without making any changes, unplug the DNS-323 and wait 30 seconds before plugging the unit back in. When turn on the unit.

Once the unit is fully up, copy a file to the unit and see how fast it is going. Make note of the speed.

About an hour later, do the same thing.

Report your findings to the group.

I record TV programs to my Laptop.  I have done the above, because the speed of the unit starts out uploading fast at around 3 mbs per sec and afterwards, slows down to a crawl, reporting that the upload will take over 1 hour.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »

Connection was
     NAS ----> Modem/Router <---- PC
File transfer speed on boot up   ~10.8 MB/s

Now connected
     NAS ----> Ethernet sw ----> Modem/Router<---- PC
File transfer speed  ~11.2MB/s

So no difference.
Both of these align with previous speeds noted ..

I can't test NAS direct connect to PC as it does not support that type of connection has to be via router or switch.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 03:18:35 PM »

Connection was
     NAS ----> Modem/Router <---- PC
File transfer speed on boot up   ~10.8 MB/s

Now connected
     NAS ----> Ethernet sw ----> Modem/Router<---- PC
File transfer speed  ~11.2MB/s

So no difference.
Both of these align with previous speeds noted ..

I can't test NAS direct connect to PC as it does not support that type of connection has to be via router or switch.

Hi Memnon,

Not exactly what I was referring to, speed-wise.

I was talking to simply leave the connection normal and test my moving a file from the computer to the NAS unit. If you are using Windows 7, you can click on More Details, which tells you how long remaining before finished.

For me, it slowed down and I had to power off and power back on. This was Firmware 1.10. Today I dropped down to 1.09 Firmware.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »

It doesn't drop stays around 9.5 to 11 MB/s, which is pretty slow, makes backups betty long, and concerned what it will be like streaming video.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »

Hi Memnon,

If it stays steady, it is good, but what is the speed of your computer's adapter? 100 MB per second or 1 GB per second? Are you Wired or Wireless?

If you were kb/s, I would be concerned. But Mb/s is good.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 01:24:45 AM »

Memnon, have you tried a speed test WITHOUT the HomeHub in the loop?

NAS <-------> Ethernet Switch <--------> PC.
Pages: [1] 2