• March 28, 2024, 02:54:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: need to increase the signal strength  (Read 15582 times)

lost

• Level 1 Member
need to increase the signal strength
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:28:17 AM »

the router (dir 655) as at one end of the house, and my ps3 at the other end. i usually have a signal strength of 20% with a lot of drops that make it impossible to play any game. is there anything i can buy for this? i purchased a repeater, netgear (WG602), but then i read that the d-link has disabled the feature to use those kinda devices. or i'm just too stupid to configure the netgear repeater to work properly.

is there anything i can do, or attach to the ps3?

Current Setup:
Code: [Select]
                                                                PS3

Router
router as at one end of the house, ps3 is on the 2nd floor at the other end of the house.

is there any wired device i can attach to the ps3 and bring it to a middle room, which can pick up a stronger signal and use that to play games online using the ps3
                                         device-----------------PS3

Router

or something to repeat or increase the wireless signal so the ps3 can be playable?
                                        [device]                 PS3

Router

lost

• Level 1 Member
Re: need to increase the signal strength
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:42:47 PM »

bump

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:43:17 PM »

Hi,

I would give a looksee at a homeplug solution.  The newest ones are rated at some 300 Mbps, but you could then put a switch at the remote end and have more than one port.....

I use earlier versions and it works out nicely, even at 10 Mbps it is plenty fast for the xbox360's online here....
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

stormeffect

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:03:25 PM »

Another options besides wireless networking is to use a wireless bridge instead of the ps3's built-in wireless antennae. For my home-theater setup, I use the DAP-1522 as a receiver, then I plug my Xbox 360, Tivo HD and Blue-Ray player into the Ethernet ports.

The DAP-1522 was able to hold a much stronger signal with the router on the other side of my house than any of the built in wireless adapters I used with my other devices. It also allowed me to throw out my old wireless G adapters (for the tivo, for instance) and turn my network full N, which immediately increased signal across the board.

lost

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »

Hi,

I would give a looksee at a homeplug solution.  The newest ones are rated at some 300 Mbps, but you could then put a switch at the remote end and have more than one port.....

I use earlier versions and it works out nicely, even at 10 Mbps it is plenty fast for the xbox360's online here....
but for the homeplug solution, doesnt the outlets have to be connected to the same circuit or circuit board? there are like different circuit switches in the basement. i dont know if it will work.

Another options besides wireless networking is to use a wireless bridge instead of the ps3's built-in wireless antennae. For my home-theater setup, I use the DAP-1522 as a receiver, then I plug my Xbox 360, Tivo HD and Blue-Ray player into the Ethernet ports.

The DAP-1522 was able to hold a much stronger signal with the router on the other side of my house than any of the built in wireless adapters I used with my other devices. It also allowed me to throw out my old wireless G adapters (for the tivo, for instance) and turn my network full N, which immediately increased signal across the board.
so i can connect a long wire between the 1522 and my ps3 to get it to work? i cant use the WG602 in the same manner. it says its an access point but it also has bridge and repeater. is there cheaper alternative to DAP1522? spent a lot of money on the 655 and wireless adapters for few computers.

alb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »

I used a hawking extender and it works great, similar setup  used same passkey

lost

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:34:56 PM »

I used a hawking extender and it works great, similar setup  used same passkey
i never heard of that. this one? http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-HWREG1-Wireless-Range-Extender/dp/B000FIB8S0
i have a password for my wifi. the hawking will work with it?

lost

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 04:44:37 AM »

Would the DWL-2100AP work instead of the 1522? I would like to get some gaming and relaxation done while I have free time during the spring break. Please help me!

jmartinez3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 07:34:04 AM »

If you only care about that PS3 coming into a better signal quality from the AP, use a highly directional (so high-gain) antenna pointing to your PS3.

I do not know the law on your country, but here in Spain you have to lower the signal strength at the emitter to use a high-gain antenna. BUT if you do not live in a country with such regulation you can use that method to increase transmitting and receiving power to and from your PS3.

Please, notice that using the antenna would prevent almost anyone else from connecting into the AP since all power is transmitted towards the PS3.

This antenna should to the job, but, please have a look at your country's regulation to find out if this technique I am describing is legal or not.
http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/ap-ant-17_ss.pdf

Or you could use three of any of these (because of 11n MIMO technology) pointing exactly on the same direction and separated from each other exactly the same distance as antenna connectors are on the DIR655 device.
http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/ap-ant-4_ss.pdf

Here is a high-quality antenna manufacturer:
http://www.hubersuhner.com/mozilla/products/hs-p-search/hs-rf-product-search/hs-sup-search-prod-rf-ant-2g.htm?applied=1&selected=1&search=acr&display=12&unit=si&step=1&vt=16081

There are higher gain antennas out there you could try to find, but I would suggest you use a single antenna with three connectors to plug into your DIR655 instead of the three pointing at the same direction.

Also, the higher the gain, the harder to focus onto the right direction.

Please, again, beware local regulations and do this at your own risk. If any regulation is broken or you cannot manage to do it properly, I take no responsibility at all.

lost

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 10:58:10 PM »

thank you very much for the information jmartinez3. but there are 3-4 other computers in the house that share this connection at random times of the day. if using the antenna would prevent others from connecting, then i can not do this.

i dont understand. people say the WDS is disabled in Dlink 655. does that mean i can not extend the network using other devices? but then people recommend to use the DAP-1522. i have a WG602 from before that i want to use as a repeater, or use it to connect the PS3. will only the DAP-1522 work with the DIR 655?

rlcronin

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »

For what its worth, I had better luck with the SMC SMCWEB-N wireless bridge than I did with the DAP1522. The former has 3 external antennas. The latter has none (and so your results will be highly dependent on whether you can put the 1522 in a good spot).