• April 25, 2024, 06:28:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Unit inoperable after firmware upgrade  (Read 17767 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Unit inoperable after firmware upgrade
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 04:34:20 AM »

I'm glad everything worked out. Is your DCS-5222L connected to your router using a wireless connection? If so, then it sounds like the router and camera had an intermittent communication issue that worked itself out, which sometimes happens.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:48:21 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

BAMoh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 09:36:47 AM »

Yes. Glad I didn't have to make the trek to resolve this.

In perusing the forum, it seems some folks go ahead and make the upgrade using wireless anyway but they have to be nuts to take such a chance.
"That's laughable...."  Impress me. Need COMPETENT help.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 10:43:32 AM »

In perusing the forum, it seems some folks go ahead and make the upgrade using wireless anyway but they have to be nuts to take such a chance.

Was your camera setup with a WIRELESS connection?  Just curious.

D-Link does seem to advocate pushing wireless/remote upgrades.  Many of the earlier kinks seem to have been worked out, but this isn't always the best solution for camera owners who are remote and don't have direct camera access to address issues that may result from an upgrade.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »

I normally don't recommend upgrading via wireless on Cameras however for testing purposes and to ensure that wireless upgrade path is working. I have upgraded my 933L successfully each time via wireless. I think that in most cases, wireless upgrade path will work. However, I would recommend checking for any wireless interferences before upgrading via wireless. Should there by some interferences, i.e. other wireless APs, routers or 2.4Ghz house phones that are on or near the same frequencies and channels, this could present a bad connection between the camera and the main host router and could cause some FW upgrades to go bad, thus bricking the camera. I presume that if the camera has a good stable connection to the main host router, then the wireless upgrade path can be used. However for users with physical access to the camera, I recommend using the wired path to upgrade if you feel safer using this method or question the signal environment. 

My 2 cents.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

BAMoh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 05:15:59 PM »

Was your camera setup with a WIRELESS connection?  Just curious.

D-Link does seem to advocate pushing wireless/remote upgrades.  Many of the earlier kinks seem to have been worked out, but this isn't always the best solution for camera owners who are remote and don't have direct camera access to address issues that may result from an upgrade.

Where do you see them advocating using wireless to upgrade FW? In all the instructions I've seen I see them stating not to do so and to only use a cabled connection.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »

Where do you see them advocating using wireless to upgrade FW? In all the instructions I've seen I see them stating not to do so and to only use a cabled connection.

My reply referred to remote pushing of firmware from D-Link that's initiated by accepting a push notification from a mobile device running mydlink.

You still haven't answered my initial question: Was your camera setup with a WIRELESS connection?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:26:06 PM by JavaLawyer »

nettewurk

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:24 AM »

You can manually upgrade the firmware.

(1) Wire the camera to your router
(2) Reboot the camera and router
(3) Get the IP address of the camera from the connected device table in your router
(4) Enter the camera IP address in a browser on a PC connected to your LAN
(5) Log into the DCS-5222L web UI
(6) Download an earlier FW version here: ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DCS-5222L/REVB/ (if the FW is archived, then unzip the file)
(7) Upload the FW into the camera from the DCS-5222L web UI
Done above (1) and (2) but unfortounately the DIR-636L can't detect my 5222L.  Given this, can't access its webURL.  Are all hope lost to recover my camera.  Sending it for repair will take a month or two according to the D-Link support and reseller.   Still resorting before I decide to bring it on March.  Thanks
COVR/DIR/DCS/DNS/DHP/DWA/DRA/DSP

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 07:22:30 AM »

What FW is loaded on the DIR-636L router?
What wireless modes are you using on the 636L?
What security modes are you using on the 636L?

(3) Get the IP address of the camera from the connected device table in your router
(6) Download an earlier FW version here: ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DCS-5222L/REVB/ (if the FW is archived, then unzip the file)
Done above (1) and (2) but unfortounately the DIR-636L can't detect my 5222L.  Given this, can't access its webURL.  Are all hope lost to recover my camera.  Sending it for repair will take a month or two according to the D-Link support and reseller.   Still resorting before I decide to bring it on March.  Thanks
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 07:23:33 AM »

Is your DCS-5222L < 1 year old (i.e. still under warranty)? Also, are you located in the United States?
Also, just to be sure, try a different Ethernet cable (I've been the victim of a bad cable more than I'd like to admit).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:34:10 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 07:44:01 AM »

In addition to trying a different Ethernet cable. . .  in another thread you mention that your DIR-636L is new.  If you have an older router to test the camera on, I would definitely try that.

nettewurk

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 10:14:16 AM »

What FW is loaded on the DIR-636L router?
What wireless modes are you using on the 636L?
What security modes are you using on the 636L?

(2) Reboot thaaaaaalsoe camera and router
My DIR-636L has v1.05 firmware, rev. A1 operating at wireless N connection hidden SSID with 20/40mhz width enabled. Encryption is WPA2-personal. However all my DIR,-655 and DI-624+ are also operating at channel 5.  Hope that I could still recover it by myself. Problem is LED indicator is always red.  Also connected to these routers but to no avail. :(

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 10:53:23 AM »

Since you've seemingly exhausted all other options, here's one last procedure to try that may provide some relief:

Download Firmware

Establish a static IP address on your PC

• Connect the camera directly to a PC Ethernet port
  • Windows 7 - Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings
  • Right-Click Local Area Connection and select Properties
  • Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and select Properties
  • Select the  Use the following IP address radio button
  • In the IP address field enter 192.168.0.55
  • In the Subnet mask field enter 255.255.255.0
  • In the Default gateway field enter 192.168.0.20
  • Press OK

Access Camera

• Using an Internet browser on the PC, enter the following address: http://192.168.0.20
  • If the camera prompts for a username and password, enter Username: admin; Password: [Leave field blank]
  • Navigate to MAINTENANCE > Firmware Upgrade and upload the firmware file previously saved to the PC desktop

PLEASE POST BACK AND LET US KNOW IF THIS WORKS!!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:55:49 AM by JavaLawyer »

BAMoh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 11:11:12 AM »

My reply referred to remote pushing of firmware from D-Link that's initiated by accepting a push notification from a mobile device running mydlink.

You still haven't answered my initial question: Was your camera setup with a WIRELESS connection?

Not sure what you mean. It is on a wireless connection. But I found it easier to set it up using a wired connection then log in to mydlink and switch to a wireless connection. And it remained on the wireless connection.

On the remote pushing I see what you mean on the mobile app but it contradicts what they tell people elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:18:53 AM by BAMoh »

nettewurk

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 03:07:02 PM »

Thanks Javalawyer for your untiring support.

Tried the 2 part steps you've indicated but TO NO AVAIL, he WebUI does not appear /display  or any  at all.  All hope is gone :

Thanks again

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »

Thanks Javalawyer for your untiring support.

Tried the 2 part steps you've indicated but TO NO AVAIL, he WebUI does not appear /display  or any  at all.  All hope is gone :

Thanks again

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel.  One last modification to this procedure (based on my understanding of how similar recovery works with D-Link routers...)

1. Plug the camera into the PC
2. Unplug the power cord from the camera
3. Press and hold the reset button on camera
4. While the reset button is pressed down, plug the power cord in (keep the reset button pressed)
5. Hold the reset button until the LED lights start to blink (not sure how long)
6. continue with rest of procedure described in my earlier post...
Pages: 1 [2] 3