• March 28, 2024, 11:25:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Message from server: "Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB"  (Read 8861 times)

evaniam

• Level 1 Member
Message from server: "Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB"
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »

I'm on OS X 10.6.8 and every time Time Machine begins to backup I receive the message "Message from server: Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead. Check server messages for details!"

After doing some researching online it seems as though the AppleDB (CNID DB) has become corrupt.

CNID, means Catalog Node ID. AFP uses CNID databases to do its work: these are essentially tables, created for each share, replete with directories and filenames within the share. A typical AFP request for a given share, uses a directory ID and a filename: something like "FS please open the file named 'Test' in the directory with id 167".

It is possible that temporary corruption of the shares' CNID Data Base (CNID DB), used by AFP  is present.

http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/615/~/%22missing%22-data-(afp)-and%2For-cnid-db-errors

I am assuming I have to delete and recreate that CNID DB file according to this link:

http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/614

Seeing how I do not have a Drobo, I am a little confused how I can apply these steps to the DNS-320.

dvkch

Re: Message from server: "Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:32:02 AM »

Hi

For those of you reading this post and still wondering how to correct this problem :

I installed fonpluz : nas-tweaks.net/40/installation-of-the-fonz-funplug-0-5-for-ch3snas-ch3mnas-dns-323-and-many-more/
activated ssh support : http://nas-tweaks.net/40/installation-of-the-fonz-funplug-0-5-for-ch3snas-ch3mnas-dns-323-and-many-more/#Activate_SSH
connected to my NAS : Terminal (OSX, Linux) or PuTTy (Windows) then "ssh root@MY_IP" without quotes of course and where MY_IP is your NAS IP eg 192.168.1.2.
Enter your password
Go to the shared folder which is causing the issue : "cd /mnt/HD/HD_a2/" for me which is the Volume_1 share of my NAS configured in RAID1
type "rm -R .AppleDB"

this will cause your NAS to rebuild its CNID database for the share.
do this for every problematic share

Problem solved, hopefully.

1postandgone

• Level 1 Member
Re: Message from server: "Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB"
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »

...and because Google will ensure immortality,

Same error
Same solution
Bit simpler

• Open the NAS Web Interface (0.32, usually)
  • Applications
  • Web File Server
  • Open the shared folder with the issue in the left hand menu.
  • Then also in LH menu click on the .AppleDB folder which is inside the problem share (you won't see it in the Right Hand window)
  • Delete or rename or move (by right-clicking on) all the files on the right, __db.001 etc

Disclaimer: I Am Not Even Vaguely Qualified. YMMV.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:37:00 PM by 1postandgone »