• March 29, 2024, 01:38:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dual HD Failure...or Failure of DNS-323?  (Read 6678 times)

clstan

Dual HD Failure...or Failure of DNS-323?
« on: July 23, 2008, 11:09:15 PM »

- I was in the middle of copying some files from my XP Pro laptop to the DNS-323 when my laptop froze up...I had to end up rebooting my laptop by removing all power.
- After bringing the laptop back up to speed...I went back to recopy the files and was unable to do so.  I got an XP window stating that the file was in use.  I've had this problem before because of my laptop locking up...and I had to reboot the DNS-323 to unlock that bad file. (So I did it again.)
- I powered down the DNS-323 by holding in the power button on the front of the device.  Upon reboot of the DNS-323, I found that I was unable to reconnect (mount/map) the drive to the XP OS.
- Upon further inspection, I found that the AMBER light was lit on the RIGHT drive.
- I powered down and removed the failed (Right) drive.  (I left the Left side drive in.)
- I powered the DNS-323 back up and after it's bootup procedure, the DNS-323 lit AMBER LED on the Right drive...the drive bay with nothing in it.
- I tried switching the drives (Left for Right), and doing a single drive (nothing in Left, both drives in Right).
- The DNS-323 continues to report the RIGHT bay as failed.
- The only time it does NOT fail is when there is absolutely nothing in either bay.
- When I do have EITHER drive in the LEFT bay and log into the web interface...it wants me to format the drive.

** AM I LOOKING AT A DUAL HARD DRIVE FAILURE OR FAILURE OF THE DNS-323?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Dual HD Failure...or Failure of DNS-323?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:51:47 AM »

Hard to tell. How long has the device been working? Have you tried any other drives or formatted since then? Is it now working?

If you get the prompt to format try accessing the data with the RUN command prompt.

Step 1: Click Start and got "RUN"

Step 2: Type //192.168.xx.xx (DNS-323 IP address)

Step 3: It should open a folder containing Volume_1 and if you have one Volume_2
Clicking on these icons should access your data. You can also right click and map to PC from here.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

clstan

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:29:14 PM »

That's what got my attention to begin with that there was a MAJOR problem.  Neither Volume_1 nor Volume_2 show up.  All the Web interface to the drive wants...is to reformat.  I've got 500GB worth of data (2x500GB Raid1)...Reformat is NOT an option.

I did do some troubleshooting with a spare DNS-323 (one from my office).  The drive reports that both HDs are good (no Amber lights)...but it ONLY wants to reformat the drives.

** I thought that since it was Raid 1...that being unable to access the data was not going to be an issue?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:34:21 AM »

Did you try to access the date with the steps provided?

clstan

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:16:08 AM »

YES.

I followed the previous steps...start> run> \\192.168.0.5
There were NO Volume folders at all.
There were only 3 things showing...lp, Printers and Faxes, and web_page.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »

Try resetting the unit using the reset button located on the back of the unit and try to access your drives once again.

clstan

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »

Already tried that...as well as reflashing 1.05.
Still zippo.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:24:19 AM »

** I thought that since it was Raid 1...that being unable to access the data was not going to be an issue?

That only holds true if the failure is a single disk - RAID1 only protects against a disk failure.  It provides no protection from any other problem, which is why it should not be considered a form of backup.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 10:50:23 AM »

It looks like at this point you may want to try your drives in a Linux machine and backup your data if accessible and if it is important data. and try reformatting the drives.

If not already updated to the latest firmware update to 1.05 before formatting.