• March 29, 2024, 05:12:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR 895 Pre Purchase Questions  (Read 4528 times)

jkbmjp

• Level 1 Member
DIR 895 Pre Purchase Questions
« on: April 12, 2016, 06:31:35 AM »

I am new to D-Link products.  I have questions about this router.  Previously, I have tried the Asus ac3200 router. Currently, I am using a Linksys WRT1900ac router. 

I am an Apple guy. I love my Apple products including Mac Minis, iOS devices, ATV, Time Capsule, Airport Express and Airport Extreme. The Linksys AC router is compatible with ALL iOS devices and Apple desktops. I never had one problem with using the iOS devices on the Linksys router. On the other hand, Asus ac3200 router is NOT compatible with iOS devices. I have had nothing but problems with using iOS devices on the Asus router including wireless disruption and disconnects.

I like the parental controls, firewall, etc... that Asus routers have to offer. I don't like parental controls that Linksys has to offer. They are too basic and doesn't offer enough information to about each device.

My questions are about the Parental Controls, Firewall, etc.. on the DIR 895 router.

1. Is there a "demo" site that I can view a live version of the DIR 895 router?
2. Does this router offer URL and Keyword filters?
3. How good are the parental controls (Time Schedule, Website blocking, etc..)?
4. Does this router monitor the traffic or which sites are being frequently accessed?
5. Has anyone had any issues with iOS devices or Apple products connected to this router?
6. The maximum number of sites to be block, PER DEVICE, is 15?
7. Without using OpenDNS or another related site, can you block HTTP and HTTPs on this router?

Any other helpful information about this router is appreciated.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR 895 Pre Purchase Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »

Welcome!

I am new to D-Link products.  I have questions about this router.  Previously, I have tried the Asus ac3200 router. Currently, I am using a Linksys WRT1900ac router. 
Your name looks familiar.  ;) Yes I have a WRT1900AC as well. ::)

I am an Apple guy. I love my Apple products including Mac Minis, iOS devices, ATV, Time Capsule, Airport Express and Airport Extreme. The Linksys AC router is compatible with ALL iOS devices and Apple desktops. I never had one problem with using the iOS devices on the Linksys router. On the other hand, Asus ac3200 router is NOT compatible with iOS devices. I have had nothing but problems with using iOS devices on the Asus router including wireless disruption and disconnects.
I've had no problems with my Mini, iPad, iPhones, AppleTV, Airport Express(Old) and iMac.

I like the parental controls, firewall, etc... that Asus routers have to offer. I don't like parental controls that Linksys has to offer. They are too basic and doesn't offer enough information to about each device.

My questions are about the Parental Controls, Firewall, etc.. on the DIR 895 router.

1. Is there a "demo" site that I can view a live version of the DIR 895 router? http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=61825.0 Its for the 890L however both are similar and have same code base, just the 895L has extra antennae and extender mode, where the 890L has a AP mode feature.
2. Does this router offer URL and Keyword filters? Should be some thought I haven't tested any yet.
3. How good are the parental controls (Time Schedule, Website blocking, etc..)? Haven't seen issues with it from others.
4. Does this router monitor the traffic or which sites are being frequently accessed? Check the specs on the routers web site: http://us.dlink.com/products/connect/ac5300-ultra-wi-fi-router/ I don't think detailed monitoring is available. Mainly overall traffic usage seen on wired, and wireless and WAN port usage.
5. Has anyone had any issues with iOS devices or Apple products connected to this router? I have not.
6. The maximum number of sites to be block, PER DEVICE, is 15? I think it's up to 24 now.
7. Without using OpenDNS or another related site, can you block HTTP and HTTPs on this router? I haven't tested this yet.

Any other helpful information about this router is appreciated.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.