• April 24, 2024, 11:02:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't pass "Attach adapter and press Continue" stage during drivers install  (Read 155133 times)

valatmean

• Level 1 Member

I have a desktop in the basement which runs XP SP3 and am trying to install DWA-130-revE, f/w: 5.10.
Have been fighting with this device for 2 days and 2 nights. Drivers failed to install from CD and from downloaded zip file. Turned off antivirus and firewall. Cleaned and renewed USB drivers stack. No bueno. Every time installation process stumbles after I'm required to attach wireless adapter and press Continue. It simply won't see the device and keeps asking me to connect the adapter to USB port.
Am running out of patience and asking for help!
Any insight will be appreciated. 

Markus712

• Level 1 Member

I'm just wondering if this issue was ever resolved for you, as I am having a similar problem... and it sucks!  :'(

I hope you've found a solution!

akabatman2

• Level 1 Member

I have the same problem, it doesn't matter what version of the driver I download from the zip files and try.
I've tried the "shipped" version and the latest version for the DWA-130 USB adapter.
I know it must be a software issue because in my Windows XP Device Manager, the yellow question mark shows the adapter as being recognized by the usb bus but even when trying to perform a manual install of the drivers with the .inf file, it won't install!!

Dlink - please address this issue. >:(

DesireWirelessConnection

• Level 1 Member

Hello,

I am also having this exact same problem. I have phoned & emailed D-Link technical support about it, and they have no idea what I'm talking about over the phone. Hopefully the email will work a bit better!

Thanks for posting, others are having same problems, and these forums are very helpful!!

stupidswag

• Level 1 Member

**** having the same problems on Vista x86.... I should have bought it from somewhere else than amazon at least I would had got a warranty with it. 

philetus

• Level 1 Member

Same problem here too.

BullData

• Level 1 Member

I have a similar problem with my DWA-130 H/W v E1 F/W v 5.1 connected to my computer, running Win7 professional 32-bit O/S. The install icon remains 'running' endlessly. The driver installed properly. My computer hardware recognizes when the adapter is plugged into the USB port. In device manager, it reports that the device is working properly; but the software won't complete the installation. The Connect Wizard and the Communications Manager load into memory (as shown with Task Manager); but the menus do not appear to allow configuration of the adapter to use the D-Link router signal.

I have a solution.  Return it to the merchant for another model.

BullData

• Level 1 Member

Oh!  I did call D-Link Technical Support. The young man kept asking me to uninstall the drivers and software several times. (I installed/uninstalled it several times before calling support.) We had the same results every time. The software installation routine went into an infinite 'loop' that did not complete the install. 

I've worked with computer hardware, firmware and software since 1965. I thought these simple installation problems had been solved long ago.

I like D-Link's products, except this one. Their tech support needs an overhaul, though.  The young tech seemed lost as to solving this issue.

matt2911

• Level 1 Member

I have a desktop in the basement which runs XP SP3 and am trying to install DWA-130-revE, f/w: 5.10.
Have been fighting with this device for 2 days and 2 nights. Drivers failed to install from CD and from downloaded zip file. Turned off antivirus and firewall. Cleaned and renewed USB drivers stack. No bueno. Every time installation process stumbles after I'm required to attach wireless adapter and press Continue. It simply won't see the device and keeps asking me to connect the adapter to USB port.
Am running out of patience and asking for help! Any insight will be appreciated. 
How did you clean and renew the driver stack?   Sounds like you messed up your install please try to reload your chipset driver (intels code is setup.exe /overall )  Have no advice if you are using a AMD chipset sorry.
Matt (ps my DWA-130 Revision E works still on win XP SP3)

El_Cangri

• Level 1 Member

It's been a long time since a worked on a XP computer and also I haven't used the adapter in one.

Try:

Download the correct drivers according the your device revision and extract them.

Make sure to uninstall everything from the device in Device Manager, the device itself and the drivers.

Then connect it and don't let it look for drivers on the internet. Install them manually through the device manager. Remember to point it to the right and exact folder.

I skipped the D-link software because it made my connection unstable (constantly connecting and disconnecting). The method above at least is supposed to work on Vista and W7.

bigbiz187

• Level 1 Member

Follow these steps: Take the D-Link CD out to a field, hit it repeatedly with a bat or other weapon, also stomp on it with your foot (picture that scene in "Office Space"). Then, turn off any firewalls that would prevent XP from automatically finding drivers over the web. Plug it in, select "install automatically", smile with accomplishment as it installs.  ;D

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Thanks for sharing this info. Hope it comes in handy.

Enjoy.  ;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.