• March 28, 2024, 09:13:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Distorted Audio on Video Playback  (Read 7220 times)

dcharmatz

• Level 1 Member
Distorted Audio on Video Playback
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »

I am having trouble with the audio only when playing video using the DSM-520.  The audio plays perfectly with audio files (mp3, etc).  When I play videos the picture is perfect but the audio is distorted and sounds crackly (like a blown speaker).  I have tried playing videos in AVI, MP4, and VOB files and get the same result every time.  I know the videos audio is correct because I am not having any trouble playing them back on the pc's audio and I can put the same videos on other devices and play them without any trouble as well.  As far as the network goes, the DSM-20 is hardwired through 2 gigabit switches to the PC.  I have eliminated the switches and just used the router but received the same result.  Also, the network itself has minimal usage... only 2 other pc's(laptops) connect to a WAP for internet browsing and never during video playback.  The pc itself is running Windows XP Pro SP3 and is a fresh install.  No other applications (other than AVG antivirus) are running on the pc. I have tried re-installing/upgrading the media server software and also upgraded the firmware to the latest version.  I am using a HDMI cable from the DLINK device to the TV and have tried switching to another HDMI cable & HDMI port but received the same result.  I have not yet tried using component cables or playing video from the internet to see if the result is the same.  Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?  I'm going crazy trying to figure it out! 

TIA,

David

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Distorted Audio on Video Playback
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:21:03 PM »

What firmware are you running on your unit? Have you tried the video via USB as well?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dcharmatz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »

Originally I was running firmware version 1.02 but I then upgraded to 1.06.1 as an attempt to correct the problem.

The software version for the media server is running 1.10. 

I tried playing a video from a USB device and the audio was still distorted. 

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:03:15 AM »

What software do you use to create you video files and what settings are used?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dcharmatz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »

I've used handbrake and dvdshrink.  With handbrake, I tried using:
1. Output Format: AVI
2. Video: MPEG-4 (XviD)
3. Audio: MP3, Mixdown(auto), Samplerate(auto), bitrate (160 & 320), DRC = 1

1. Output Format: AVI
2. Video: MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)

1. Output Format: MP4
2. Video: MPEG-4 (XviD)

1. Output Format: MP4
2. Video: MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)

With dvdshrink, I've just taken the output VOB files and played them.  

I've also tried downloading a couple AVI files form the internet and playing them but get the same result.  

dagblix

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 12:03:07 AM »

If you haven't figured this out yet I can at least give you my thoughts. Its not an electronic fault with the audio output itself since it works with mp3, so it gotta have something to do with the videoprocessing part of it. There is not really alot you can to if the IC has gone bad, which they do, not not very ofte just partially like you describe here.
Reset the thing on the backside, turn the units own volume down a bit and listen to it from the optical output to your receiver, it should work fine, othervise there is a ghost in there and you have to burn it.

it'll be interesting to hear the end of this one!

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »

I would try turning down the volume control of the DSM-520 and see if that resolves the issue.  Maybe the audio in the video is overdriving the input of the TV. 

Have you tried a video that wasn't created by you since your original post and checked it using component/composite/audio cables?

d7932007

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »

I am having the same problem with my DSM-520. I am on v1.06 firmware. The video is streaming from Windows Vista Ultimate. The audio sounds fine when streaming the same video to an XBOX 360. The DSM-520 is connected to the TV with RCA cables.