• March 28, 2024, 11:47:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Occaisional Slow Access to Folders  (Read 6331 times)

wooly

• Level 1 Member
Occaisional Slow Access to Folders
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »

Hi, I bought a DNS-323 yesterday with 2 WD1001FALS-00E8B 1TB drives. The system had v1.07 on it and I set it up under this s/w.
The disks are set up as below:

Volume Name:     Volume_1
Volume Type:     RAID 1
Sync Time Remaining:     Completed
Total Hard Drive Capacity:     492515 MB
Used Space:     186708 MB
Unused Space:     305806 MB

Volume Name:     Volume_2
Volume Type:     JBOD
Total Hard Drive Capacity:     981875 MB
Used Space:     32 KB
Unused Space:     981875 MB

All works fine except that when I go to access a folder on either of the volumes it initially takes about 15 seconds for the folder to open (Windows 7 Ultimate, gigabit LAN). Once opened, and then closed, future access is instant. However after about 10 minutes of no activity with those volumes, the next access will take about 15 seconds again

At first I thought the drives were spinning down, and that this was the spin-up delay, but in TOOLS/POWER MANAGEMENT I have disabled HDD HIBERNATION. I am assuming Spin down is the same as hibernation? Also the volumes are N: and O: drive as far as windows are concerned. If I access the N: "drive" and it takes 15 or seconds and then go to the O: drive, it can also take 15 or so seconds, which again points away from spin-up time

I installed 1.08 Beta with the same result.

Any ideas

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Occaisional Slow Access to Folders
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »

It sounds like hibernation, but it could also be Windows refreshing it's index data.  When the drive info has been flushed from the cache, it reads the disk and rebuilds it.  See if it's not beating on the NAS disks during the delay.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

wooly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »

Thanks for the response. There is very little disk activity. There is a short burst of LAN activity when I send the command, then about 15 seconds of no activity then some LAN activity again and the volume is displayed

Wooly

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »

It might be useful to fire up WireShark and see what kind of network activity happens in that time period.

wooly

• Level 1 Member
Re: Occaisional Slow Access to Folders - Solved (Sort of)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 06:00:29 PM »

Problem Solved   - Cause not found

Maybe I'll give Wireshark a shot, however the problem was solved by mapping the network drive from windows rather than from Easy_Search. Does that make any sense?

Wooly

wooly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:48:13 AM »

Just an update. After 12 hours of no activity I was able to access NAS volumes with no delay once I had mapped them with Windows rather than easy search

Wooly

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:18:02 AM »

I've never used EasySearch, so I don't know what it does, but perhaps that explains why you were having an issue. :)

BobLeBricoleur

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:46:13 PM »

All works fine except that when I go to access a folder on either of the volumes it initially takes about 15 seconds for the folder to open (Windows 7 Ultimate

I have the same problem with my Windows 7 Ultimate too, but i have an other PC with Windows XP (home edition) and all folders of my NAS are displayed very fastly.

Why ?  I don't know :(

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:57:31 AM »

I have three Windows 7 machines here, none have any issues accessing the NAS.  The Vista and XP machines don't have issues either.

BobLeBricoleur

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 12:03:48 AM »

All works fine except that when I go to access a folder on either of the volumes it initially takes about 15 seconds for the folder to open (Windows 7 Ultimate
I have the same problem with my Windows 7 Ultimate too, but i have an other PC with Windows XP (home edition) and all folders of my NAS are displayed very fastly.

Why ?  I don't know :(

I find :) why few folders are slow to displayed the contents :(. It's realy important with Windows Seven to set correctly the properties of folders when folders are specific for Photos, Musics or Movies.

• Select the folder in problem, right click on it,
  • Select Properties, click on the Customize tab,
  • In section "Optimize this folder for", choose the the good content of the folder from the drop-down and click OK.

Now the loading time folder of NAS is very best :)

Check the following link for more informations:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/speed-up-windows-7-folder-loading-time/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:37:06 AM by BobLeBricoleur »