• April 19, 2024, 12:58:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DNS-323 is a joke!  (Read 10808 times)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: DNS-323 is a joke!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 04:18:59 AM »

I believe a search of these forums will reveal a Mac related issue with SAMBA that cause slow transfers - the fix is there as well.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

FriarJnr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »

Thanks. I've had a look but can't find anything. Could you possibly point me in the right direction?

Ta.

FriarJnr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »

In its defence, DNS-323 is not a joke.  I have been using these boxes for some years now. 

They are not fast but it depends on your setup and what you want to get out of it. 

My Cisco Router is not compatible with GA311 NICs - reducing those PCs to transfer at 100 Mbps rather than the full gig rate.  The wireless part of the network runs at 54 Mbps restricting speed further. 

I am like many here, using these boxes for storage rather than live data transfer.  I use these DNS-323 for overnight backup as it seems many do.  For that purpose they are ideal.  Grandfather backup; father backup and off site rotation works for me.  At full chat, it backs up / transfers 35 gig an hour.  Overnight it is much slower, but even if 4 gig of data backup (a lot) takes an hour between 2.00 a.m. and 3.00 a.m. . . .  It is reformatting new discs and populating them that takes all the time. 

Documents, powerpoint, music streaming and similar are all delivered without drama.  It is all good. 
The 323 streams audio over wi-fi without hicups despite the firefly code for the version included in FW1.08 was written on stone tablets.  OK the microwave alongside the audiobox downstairs does cause it to skip after a couple of minutes. 
I'll be trying out a video transfer (by wi-fi) box soon and will report back. 

joke! - no!! 

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, until I'm proved wrong  :)

I believe that a product that is sold to the general public should be able to be used out of the box efficiently without spending hours trying to get it to work and sifting through countless posts on a forum, call me old fashioned! Whilst I'm no tech head, I'm not completely naive with computers and know my way around them.

I do appreciate the countless variables involved but it is VERY frustrating when I just want it to work  :'(

I do also appreciate the assistance I'm getting through the forum so hopefully it can all be resolved!

Good luck with the WiFi video transfer. Worked OK for me via Rivet (unless I was also copying files!!)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 02:10:04 PM »

I believe that a product that is sold to the general public should be able to be used out of the box efficiently without spending hours trying to get it to work and sifting through countless posts on a forum, call me old fashioned! Whilst I'm no tech head, I'm not completely naive with computers and know my way around them.

I agree with you 100% - and that's been my experience with my DNS-323 in the four years I've had it.  It worked right out of the box and has continued to do so ever since.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »

Thanks. I've had a look but can't find anything. Could you possibly point me in the right direction?

Ta.

google - keywords - mac samba slow - or - osx samba slow - there's a lot of stuff out there that suggests that Mac (or OSX) gives problems reading/writing to samba servers.
Pages: 1 [2]