• April 26, 2024, 09:09:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Recurring Backup FTP Backup  (Read 7965 times)

kizer_rezik

• Level 2 Member
Recurring Backup FTP Backup
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:22:44 AM »

One of the biggest reasons I bought the DNS 323 was to backup my website database daily simply because its a hassle to do myself and I wanted it accessible via my home network and frankly I don't trust my host.

I setup everything via the control panel and did a test download and it grabbed everything I told it to grab. I then set it to nightly at 00:00 and walked away. I checked it today and there is an X next to the job and it hasn't grabbed anything since Feb 12th. Now in my opinion thats totally unacceptable. If I had of had a website crash and my host didn't have a quick backup I would of lost nearly a week+ of data. Of course its nobody's fault, but my own for not checking, but why have a feature if it doesn't work?

I even tried to click on the start button to get it to go and it wouldn't launch. I had to edit the job and had to remove the reoccurring time and set back the time a few minutes and hit save then it launched.

I'm running FW 1.05 as of now because I couldn't get my drives to goto sleep with 1.06. I'll try adjusting the time from 00:00 to something else just to see if it makes a difference, but 00:00 was the default that the 323 had selected and I just went with it.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Recurring Backup FTP Backup
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »

Does the URL test successful on the unit when you click the Test button?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

kizer_rezik

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »

Yes

I downloaded with it once before, but then changed it to reoccuring, but it doesn't seem to want to.

I use this same function with another machine I have at home that automates my backups for me and well this would of took its place, but until it really works I can't shut it down.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:11:02 AM by kizer_rezik »

kizer_rezik

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:52:45 PM »

Just thought I'd bump this to see if anybody else is having the same issue.

tm255e

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:33:27 PM »

Hi, I am also getting the same issue. have tested the FTP Address and it all works, have manually downloaded the files without a problem, but when it comes to it doing it automatically it fails.

any help appreciated

Steve.

kizer_rezik

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 03:53:45 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is going nuts with it.

tm255e

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:30:10 AM »

Hi, I made some changes last night and got a successful backup.

i was pulling the files at around 3am in the morning, i changed this to be 11:30pm and the files came down without error,

i am going to let it run this evening without changing anything to see if it works again, i will let you know what happens.

Steve.

tm255e

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:43:56 AM »

Just an update,

Well it failed on the senond night, I am going to open the config and save it just to se if that will kick it into downloading it tonight to see if it works.

kizer_rezik

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »

Hey Dlink is there a fix for this or a test you guys can do to verify this failure? Its honestly the biggest reason I bought this for backing up my website off the net.

tm255e

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »

Just an update, The backup has now been working for 5 days, the destination folder had a space in its name, i have renamed the destination folder so there is no no space and it has been successfully backing up since. i have yet to change it back to how it was to see if it fails again.

so it may be worth checking if there are any spaces in the path of the destination and removing them.

Steve.

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 05:59:02 PM »

i had problems with apostophies in 1.05 and reported it and dlink was even able to replicate it but no fix came for it in 1.06 sometimes when using the scheduled download to copy say my documents from one drive to another i end up with an empty folder with just the first letter of the folder name. in this example i get a folder called m.

not cool dlink ... i hope this gets fixed once and for all in the upcomming fw
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:51:20 PM by jrbilodeau »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 07:41:18 AM »

i had problems with apostophies in 1.6 and reported it and dlink was even able to replicate it but no fix came for it in 1.7 sometimes when using the scheduled download to copy say my documents from one drive to another i end up with an empty folder with just the first letter of the folder name. in this example i get a folder called m.

not cool dlink ... i hope this gets fixed once and for all in the upcomming fw

1.6? 1.7? Are you referring to the firmware versions?  As far as I'm aware the current release is 1.06.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »

sorry i meant to say 1.05 and 1.06 when reffering to fw versions. sorry if it wasn't clear. i edited the other post.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:51:46 PM by jrbilodeau »